Quicken 2017 vs Quicken 2016

Obviously it's a little early to form a final opinion but these old eyes find the pastel appearance of Quicken 2017 a little harder to view and the new toolbar a little more cryptic. I liked the clearer contrast and seemingly more dramatic appearance of 2016. Is there a way to use the 2016 color scheme and layout? Alternately if I were to return to 2016 is the file shared with 2017 or would I have to recreate any work done while using 2017?

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    There is no way to change the color scheme or layout for icons, graph colors.
    The main color scheme can be changed (but it probably isn't what you are looking for):
    Edit -> Preferences -> Startup -> Color scheme

And you can have different color stripes in the register:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Register -> Colors...

As for going back to Quicken 2016 you are in luck.
    For the first time in the history of Quicken, the Quicken 2017 data file is backwards compatible with Quicken 2016!

NOTE it is not backwards compatible with Quicken 2015 and earlier.
  • Frank BogdanFrank Bogdan Member
    edited October 2018

does anyone know anywhere I can get a screenshot before I purchase it ?  Did they do anything with the "link it now" with bill and income reminders?

I'd like to see it before dropping more than $100 on the Home and Biz version , being disappointed  and asking for a refund. 

• Jeff StaggJeff Stagg Member
    edited March 2017
    Just upgraded to 2017 flrom 2016, I too do not like the color scheme, not sharp
  • Stacy MartinStacy Martin Member
    edited October 2016
    Don't buy it. There is nothing different. Unless you like pink. I bought it because it said it was optimized for high res screens, but I swear it looks fuzzy. I have a large monitor (32") and I am so frustrated that you have no control over the charts and graphs. I hate the way they stretch across the whole screen. I want to be able to drag them to whatever size I want. Been waiting on this for years, but it is never going to come. So disappointed and actively looking for something to replace Quicken.
  • edited October 2016
    this may help; i actually returned a computer once because Q was fuzzy. Go into the properties of Q (or its shortcut) and change the DPI setting on the compatability tab. See image. It may help. image
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

does anyone know anywhere I can get a screenshot before I purchase it ?  Did they do anything with the "link it now" with bill and income reminders?

I'd like to see it before dropping more than $100 on the Home and Biz version , being disappointed  and asking for a refund. 

Here link to a post with some screenshots:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/posting-screenshots-of-quicken-2017?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bpage%5D=1#reply_17921986

And no they didn't change the "link it now" as far as I remember.
    I will go check it again, and maybe add some screenshots of that to the post link above.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Actually what is the complaint?
    I forget the details of the complaints.

I sort of remember in one case it was that the text Link It Now was crowding out some other columns, but I forget where exactly this was.

And the other complaint I remember was that after editing a reminder people would be prompted to ask if they wanted to link it.

I just checked into this last one, and there is no longer a separate dialog asking about if you want to link it.  In both the case of editing the next instance and the editing of the full series there is a button/link you can select on the existing dialogs.

I also tried creating a new bill from the Bills and Reminders window and wasn't prompted to link it there either.

So my memory about this is part is wrong.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I do not find QW2017 colors to be in any way pastel. Instead they are over saturated, glaring, and way too bright. I much prefer the colors in QW2016. But I would far prefer to select my own colors.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Jon BergetJon Berget Member
    edited October 2018
    Long time Quicken user, just upgraded to 2017. Horrible colors! As to changing the main color scheme, I see no difference at all when I change it. Are you sure that functionality is active?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Long time Quicken user, just upgraded to 2017. Horrible colors! As to changing the main color scheme, I see no difference at all when I change it. Are you sure that functionality is active?

Yes, but like I stated, it isn't what people want in this case (examples below, and yes this is all it changes)
    Blue:
    Green:

There are a few other colors, but you get the point.
  • Jon BergetJon Berget Member
    edited October 2016

Ahhh, now I know why I'm not seeing any change...I'm using classic menus with no tabs. Changing the color scheme changes one thing only...the tab ribbon! Not much of a color "scheme" in my opinion, but oh well!  Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think my eyes were going bad, not seeing any change with a different scheme!
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

At least they tried......
    I am not sure exactly how they picked the colors but I have not seen many positive responses to the changes. (Black and white toolbar icons is very boring IMO)
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I had read they were making an effort to make QM2017 and QW2017 have a common visual style.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Stacy MartinStacy Martin Member
    edited September 2017

No they are not trying at all. If you already have quicken there is absolutely no reason to purchase the new version. The colors are horrible. And why can't they let users have control over the views? Just let me move the graphs around and resize as I want? This is so basic and simple. So, no, they are not trying at all. I regret paying for the upgrade.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

You can always get a refund and go back to the version you were using.

BTW on the subject of trying to make the QM2017 and QW2017 have a common visual style I would say they succeeded in that.

In one the posts I saw a screenshot of the Mac 2017, and boy I could have sworn it was Windows 2017!

UPDATE
    : It was the main Quicken 2017 release announcement post that had the screenshot and the mentioning trying to make the styles the same:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-2-1-released

You got to wonder if they argued over pluses and minuses too!  :-)
  • edited September 2017

I am a long time user of Quicken, just upgraded and agree with the rest the colors are terrible and wish we could choose our own or give us at least several to choose from
  • edited October 2018
    I just upgraded from Q2015 to Q2017.  The text contrast is much weaker and makes the text look washed out.  I get partial restoration by using large fonts, but I don't really need larger text and I don't like have less data on screen.  I would just go back, but I unistalled Q2015 as 2017 was installed.  Bummer.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I just upgraded from Q2015 to Q2017.  The text contrast is much weaker and makes the text look washed out.  I get partial restoration by using large fonts, but I don't really need larger text and I don't like have less data on screen.  I would just go back, but I unistalled Q2015 as 2017 was installed.  Bummer.

Don't you have your disk or download install program to reinstall Quicken 2015?
    If you paid for a download program it should also still be available for where you bought it (Quicken and Amazon both provide this)

Of course you will have to go back to a data file saved before the upgrade, but even if you didn't make a backup Quicken did as part of the install process.  It should be in a Q15 folder where your data file is.
  • edited December 2016

Thanks,  I do have the install file that I downloaded.  I can uninstall Q2017 and reinstall 2015.  I do have a very recent backup.  Not sure why I didn't think of this myself.
  • CMRaterCMRater Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

What a shame the 2017 interface is getting this reaction! Good to know it's not just me. Where is Quicken on taking responsibility for providing "satisfaction "
  • psobilopsobilo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    mshiggins said:

I do not find QW2017 colors to be in any way pastel. Instead they are over saturated, glaring, and way too bright. I much prefer the colors in QW2016. But I would far prefer to select my own colors.

Maybe in the next update, they can bring back the color scheme for toolbar icons (monochrome is horrible) and the the graphs in Bills and Reminders.  Who chose these colors???
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  In the beta testing a LOT of people voiced their opinion that they hated the monochrome icons.  But they put them in anyways.

It is one of the things that people don't get when they vote on "make Quicken's GUI update to date/modern".

To a GUIs person that is going to be going with the most current interfaces out there.  And in the case of Windows, that means Windows 10.

And Windows 10 is in fact going to the monochrome icons.
    Of course there is also the fact that in Quicken they have white background, and in the case of the standard Windows 10 icons the user usually has control of the background color that comes through, so they aren't quite so terrible.
  • JerryJerry Member
    edited December 2016
    IMHO the color scheme is a small part of the problem. There are bugs galore.

- Downloaded transactions do not appear in checking accounts linked to an investment account. Cannot see or accept them.

- multiple display problems

Etc, etc.

If I purchased 2017 from Amazon, will quicken give a refund?

Where's the best place to get 2016 at a decent price?
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    @Jerry - I'd give eBay a try if you want to get a copy of Quicken 2016

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Q...
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • JerryJerry Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks.
    FWIW, Amazon does not have refund option on my purchase, probably because it is software. So, I'm waiting to chat with Quicken customer support.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Note that the "60 day refund" is from Quicken Inc not the place where you purchased it.
    So Quicken support is the proper place to go to get that refund.

Also just for the record Amazon is still caring Quicken 2016 if you want to get it from there.
  • JerryJerry Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you. I requested the refund from quicken.

Would you recommend getting quicken 2016 or 2015?
  • edited February 2017
    Agree with Jerry, sort of. Bugs are supposed to be fixed. The biggest disappointment with Q17 for me is that the new boss didn't address any of Quicken's blindspots that were ritually ignored by the old boss despite users howling in protest for years. Instead, Q17 has another gimmicky "feature."

I can ignore Q17's awful day-glo pastel colors. I can't ignore that the tax planner still doesn't deal with long-term cap. gains. I don't need Quicken to give me my credit score (especially when it's wrong). I need the Investments vs. Expenses graph to save my customizations.

Don't need a tax optimizer when the fact that I still can't customize asset classes goes a long way toward rendering the feature moot. And I couldn't care less what Zillow thinks my house is worth. Would be nice, however, to be able to manually adjust transactions in loan accounts that automatically download. 
  • edited November 2016
    Jerry said:

Q16 will give you one more year of web functionality. Is Q15 still available anywhere?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jerry said:

I guess I would go with Quicken 2016 mostly just to get the extra year of support.
    At this point with patching "mostly done" I think they both probably are just about the same the sense of reliability.