Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Budgets and Planning Tools (Mac)

Add Ability to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets in Quicken for Mac (452 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited November 2019

This feature, when implemented, must be flexible enough to enable/disable transfer from the budget on an account-by-account basis. (Since being able to select accounts for budgets is a feature request Quicken has not yet implemented, I suspect it's why including/'excluding transfers has also not yet been implemented.) Here's why: a transfer to pay your credit card bill should NOT be included int he budget, because you already have all the individual expense transactions in your credit account reflected in the budget. But a transfer to pay down a loan SHOULD be included i your budget, since it's money coming out of your cash flow every month. And you might want the option to include transfers to a retirement or non-retirement savings account in your budget, too, if you set a plan for savings and want to make sure you stick to it. So making ALL transfers show up in the budget won't work; it has to be implemented so it can be done on an account-by-account basis.

I hear what you are saying.  I went to Quicken Mac, kicking and screaming, only after I got tired of technical issues running a virtual Windows system on my MAC.  The ONLY reason I did this was to keep running Quicken Deluxe for Windows.  At times I really miss my QDW that I ran for many, many years.  Losing the ability for the budget to include/exclude transfers was a major reason I took so long.  

There were a lot of other things I liked better in QDW than QM.  I acknowledge that there have been some nice improvements in QM and that I have also been able to adjust to the major differences between how QDW vs QM displays information.  However, I really miss this feature!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This feature, when implemented, must be flexible enough to enable/disable transfer from the budget on an account-by-account basis. (Since being able to select accounts for budgets is a feature request Quicken has not yet implemented, I suspect it's why including/'excluding transfers has also not yet been implemented.) Here's why: a transfer to pay your credit card bill should NOT be included int he budget, because you already have all the individual expense transactions in your credit account reflected in the budget. But a transfer to pay down a loan SHOULD be included i your budget, since it's money coming out of your cash flow every month. And you might want the option to include transfers to a retirement or non-retirement savings account in your budget, too, if you set a plan for savings and want to make sure you stick to it. So making ALL transfers show up in the budget won't work; it has to be implemented so it can be done on an account-by-account basis.

Donald, hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer for this functionality to be added to Quicken Mac; I certainly expect it sometime in 2019.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jim38@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Quicken Support: Any updates or comments? I’d sure appreciate some information before I spend multiple days painfully implementing a Band-Aid solution to my finances in order to track transfers within my budget...
  • Jim38@[email protected] Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Frustrated that this is still a Windows-version only feature. Budget transfers between accounts...

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-d...
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited November 2019

One idea for including Transfers on the Budget tab: Simply use Excel-style, classic conditional formatting rules. Allow users to create custom entries for the Budget. Name: "Savings Transfers", Accounts from (Select all that apply): "BoA Checking", Accounts to (Select all that apply): "BoA Family Savings", Additional Filters: "Tag = " or "Payee Includes = ", etc., etc. 

Thanks, Jim. I get the idea of setting up a "transfer to" category and then sub-categories for the various accounts I want to budget for, and then recording the transaction in Quicken showing the transfer as an expense to that category instead of an actual transfer. That way it will show up on the budget reports and can be budgeted for.

What I still don't understand is how you accomplish is the actual transfer of funds into the target account?  When you assign it to the phantom "transfer to" category, the amount virtually disappears. 
  • GM2GM2 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have just bought this product literally this weekend... this was the first thing I wanted to do with it. It is fundamental.
  • Chris MeadChris Mead Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    All,

I agree  - was about to ask the question before I searched for the thread.  I thought I was doing something wrong in setting up a liability (loan) and using transfers to pay it down.  When in the budget I calculate the income verses expense and see the gap I naturally want to see a "budget" for paying down the loan.  This is maybe one of the most important reasons to create a financial planning tool.  For now I suppose I must create a new expense category that won't see any actuals - or I have to reclassify the loans as what - negative expenses?  I don't see that as possible.

So yes, this issue has been out for years.  Funny, my company can develop and deploy level A commercial and military airplane software quicker than Quicken can address this issue.  

Question though - does the Windows version also have this gap?

Chris
  • Steven KisorSteven Kisor Member
    edited November 2019

I just found this thread, after unsuccessfully trying to budget my mortgage payment transfers.  I just purchased QM 2019 in hopes that this issue was resolved.  Disappointingly, it is not.  
     So I've been flustered as to why I cannot get Quicken for Mac to do this. For several months, I thought it was just me.  I'm glad I found this thread, to realize it's Quicken's oversight.
    edited November 2019

Steven, keep your fingers crossed that relief from this problem will be forthcoming in one of the 2019 updates to the program.
  • Michael 102Michael 102 Member ✭✭
    I was trying to be good and get a better handle on budgets, only to be thwarted by this missing need. 

I can get around this problem a little by creating a report and excluding accounts on the report. Why I can't exclude them on a budget is a strange omission.
  • BillSki75BillSki75 Member ✭✭
    Adding a "normal category" works for the reports and the pie graphs, but it still doesn't display properly in the budget.
  • Update from Quicken on this subject located here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7850456/quicken-for-mac-v5-11-released#latest

Specifically:

• dotymandotyman Member
    Since all of the previous discussions regarding the need to account for transfers in the budgeting module have been closed, I would like to add another urgent request for this ability to be added.

While I wouldn't include transfers to track my credit card payments in a budget (transactions are already booked to categories in the credit card account), I DO need to be able to budget for my LOAN principle payments (home and auto). Loan liability retirement payments are significant monthly outflows that are otherwise unaccounted for in this version of Quicken for Mac (it used to be possible in the original Intuit Quicken for Mac software).

Without this ability, the budget feature's usefulness is seriously compromised since it is a cash flow tool.

Please add this feature as soon as possible–the current deficiency requires unnecessary additional processes to be a truly useful budgeting tool.

Thanks,

dotyman
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello Dottyman,

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to track transfers in the budget.

Be sure to add your vote at the top!

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
  • seansean Member
    Can you add a link to the idea so we can vote on it?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Voting is clumsy on this site. You have to go to the top of page 1 of this thread. Click on tiny grey triangle under the vote count and wait a moment for your vote to be added. Triangle will change from light grey to solid dark grey. 
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

@smayer97 @sean No, you cannot vote on this idea, because -- this is good news -- it's been marked in the voting box as "Planned". That means the developers have stated they will be implementing this functionality, and they don't need/want people to continue to vote on it thinking it will help bring it to fruition. You can see blue voting box and the status after the first post on page 1 of this thread, but you can't vote for it. This idea has 452 "legacy votes" (votes from the previous Quicken community forum) plus 11 more on this site, making it one of the -- if not the -- top requests users have voted for. 

The developers almost never say when a new feature will be released, because there are many variables in the time it takes to plan, code, test, fix, test, and repeat until a feature is ready for release. They know people want it, but they don't want to release something that's buggy and gets people more upset. From comments made on this forum by the Mac product manager, I think it's accurate to say this is on the very near portion of the development roadmap, but I don't know if that means it's coming in the next month or two or three. There hasn't been an update since early March, so hopefully the long time gap means some major new feature is (features are?) coming in the next update, but we just have to wait and see. With big new features, they often release added functionality in stages, pausing to get user feedback on the first iteration before going back to refine it a month or so later.
  • seansean Member
    Thanks @jacobs !
    edited November 2019
    jacobs said:
    @smayer97 @sean No, you cannot vote on this idea, because -- this is good news -- it's been marked in the voting box as "Planned". 
    Thx. I hadn't checked the status. [removed - off-topic]
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• usmc93usmc93 Member
    edited August 2019
    (rant redacted) This is THE most requested feature and nothing after years...my question is why does everyone stick with them?
    @usmc93 I can't speak for "everyone." I can tell you why I stick with Quicken: I've got more than two decades of data compiled in it that is very useful to me, the software works well enough for me, and I continue to see that it is moving in the right direction in terms of enhancements. Is it perfect? Of course not. Am I frustrated at some of the features it is missing? Yes, of course. Is there an obviously better option on the market for my needs? Not that I'm aware of (although I haven't invested a lot of time in detailed trials of other options). 

Take the issue of this thread, transfer in budgets. Is it frustrating that it's mid-2019 and we're still waiting to see this implemented? Sure. Can I work around it until they deliver? Yes. If I want to add a savings goal and/or a loan payment to my budget, I can add that amount monthly to the Quicken budget to know where I stand. Not pretty, not perfect, but workable enough for me.

I understand why others may feel otherwise, or why this missing feature may be more problematic for people with lots of loans, or multiple savings goals, or needing to closely monitor cash flow to pay the bills each month. So I'm not trying to tell anyone it's not a big deal, or that I'm right and they're looking at it wrong; I'm only trying to answer your question why I stick with Quicken despite its shortcomings. 
  • AZCoder1959AZCoder1959 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm guessing I've been using Quicken even longer than you and I've had my share of heartaches with the product over the years. Since I switched the Mac version, I've been generally happier, but I'm frustrated that certain features from the PC version haven't migrated to this one. Budgeting is a core capability for me, so every time the company solicits my input, I always bring it up as a must-have. I certainly won't switch to another product without this because, as you noted, it does more or less everything I need it to do -- and what it does, it does well.

So counseling patience is the only thing we veterans can offer.
    See the latest comment/update by Quicken Marcus about this development (in the middle among other topics):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20023563#Comment_20023563

Bottom line, they were delayed by other work and are now working on it but it may still take time.

? Add your vote here:

(

• HQHQ Member ✭✭
    As a loyal Quicken for Mac user, I have been patiently waiting for the ability to "Include or Exclude Transfers in Budgets". Product management has repeatedly said it's a priority. Still, month after month, year after year it's MIA. Is there any reason for hope?
    edited September 2019
    HQ said:
    Is there any reason for hope?
    Yes: the fact that they have said they are working on it. ;)
  • Almost April 2020. This has been a feature request since 2016. New rule: Something cannot be a "planned" feature if college can be finished in less time. I seriously regret not running Quicken for Windows via Parallels instead of purchasing Quicken for Mac. #Sad
    @[email protected] I like your rule!  But to be accurate, this was only marked as planned a year ago (March 2019), so we're just entering sophomore year. ;)

The product manager has said they needed to make some deep structural changes, and the first phase of that was the ability to selectively include transfers in reports, which came out over the past 6 months. And he's said this is something they're actively working on. But there are a bunch of changes to budgets that users have been asking for, so it depends how deeply they are digging into changing the code for budgets. We don't know when it will come out, but it seems like we're getting close. 
  • GSutGSut Member ✭✭
    I got really excited with the latest Mac update when I saw:
    "You can now choose to exclude accounts from a budget. This helps you to create budgets that are more specifically tailored for your needs. The ability to select the accounts used for a budget was one of our most requested features."

But, alas, this still does not help track transfers to other accounts (e.g. mortgage principle payments) in my Budget.
    I'm actually not even clear on how this 'excluding accounts from a budget' is helpful. Does anyone have an example of when this would be used?

So, I'm still having to create a bogus 'Misc' category for my budget where I put all of my transfers between my checking and loan/401k/529 accounts.
    Maybe we'll be able to track transfers in Budgets with the next update? (though I won't hold my breath).
    GSut said:
    I'm actually not even clear on how this 'excluding accounts from a budget' is helpful. Does anyone have an example of when this would be used?
    Well, it was an idea on this forum for many years which garnered nearly 300 votes, so a lot of people asked for it. ;)  You can skim the thread starting here to see example of why people wanted to be able to exclude certain accounts from their budget.

Additionally, I'm guessing that this functionality was one of the building blocks that need to exist for the even more popular request to allow transfers in a budget. Think about how this now works for reports, where you can specify the Transfers to selected accounts not in the report are included in a report; it may be that budgets will be somewhat similar, where you can select accounts to include transfers to/from. However they do implement it, it will require specifying selected accounts, because if the budget included all accounts, then the transfer out of one account and into another account would always offset and therefore be invisible in the budget.
  • gpalermogpalermo Member ✭✭
    So Quicken just released 5.17.5 and talks about new feature in budgeting, they added the ability to select accounts you want to budget from, but still no ability to budget money being transferred between account like accounting for the principle being paid on your mortgage. This features have been requested for over 2 yrs and they still are unable to deliver on it.
This discussion has been closed.