Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Budgets and Planning Tools (Mac)

Add Ability to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets in Quicken for Mac (452 Legacy Votes)

1235»

Comments

• I'm skeptical that the next upcoming release (v5.18) won't have anything but super basic one-line transfer entry budget capabilities, but see the new announcement:
    "Now, you’ll be able to budget transfers between one account and another."
    https://www.quicken.com/blog/quicken-highlights-september-2020

I hope after years of waiting, that my cynicism is wrong. :wink:

If the Quicken/Intuit universe is listening, what many of us need for budgeting to be helpful inside of Quicken, is to have splits (like a mortgage bill payment that might partially go to an asset account, another part of the bill going to an escrow account, and third being attributed as interest fees expenses). like back in the Quicken 2007 Lion compatible program days....
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the Quicken/Intuit universe is listening
    Intuit isn't listening because they haven't owned Quicken for about 4 years now.  :smile:
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭
    What many of us need for budgeting to be helpful inside of Quicken, is to have splits (like a mortgage bill payment that might partially go to an asset account, another part of the bill going to an escrow account, and third being attributed as interest fees expenses). like back in the Quicken 2007 Lion compatible program days....
    I'm confused by your comment, because this exists today; you can have just such a split. The (only) missing piece is the ability to have the transfer to the liability account show up in your budget -- and this is what Quicken has pre-announced (what?! ;) ) is coming in the next release.

From Quicken's blog: In our upcoming release, v5.18, we’re taking that budgeting ability one step further. Now, you’ll be able to budget transfers between one account and another. Maybe you want to track direct deposits from your personal account into your savings and retirement accounts. Or maybe you want to track your withdrawals from those accounts once you’ve retired. You can also track transfers into a vacation account, a child’s account, a parent’s account, or any other account that you don’t otherwise track.

For the hundreds of people who have voted for this functionality, and who have waited patiently (and not so patiently) for it since budgets first appeared in the modern Quicken Mac more than four years ago, it seems the time to rejoice is nearly at hand. ;)

I'll just note that with some of the recent new feature additions, the first release of a new feature has proven to have holes or not work like everyone would prefer — but the Quicken Mac developers, to their credit, have listened and gone back for second and third iterations on new features to add controls, preferences, and additional tweaks to generally satisfy most users. So if the first release of transfer in budgets isn't 100% of what you have hoped it will be, make sure you comment in a thread abut the new release when it happens, and hopefully the subsequent release will continue to refine the functionality. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • aaronaaron Mac Beta ✭✭
    O
    M
    G

I'm so happy!!! Feels like 2020 might finally be on the up and up
  • gpalermogpalermo Member ✭✭
    > @sketchbook2 said:
    > I'm skeptical that the next upcoming release (v5.18) won't have anything but super basic one-line transfer entry budget capabilities, but see the new announcement:
    > "Now, you’ll be able to budget transfers between one account and another."
    > https://www.quicken.com/blog/quicken-highlights-september-2020
    >
    > I hope after years of waiting, that my cynicism is wrong. :wink:
    >
    > If the Quicken/Intuit universe is listening, what many of us need for budgeting to be helpful inside of Quicken, is to have splits (like a mortgage bill payment that might partially go to an asset account, another part of the bill going to an escrow account, and third being attributed as interest fees expenses). like back in the Quicken 2007 Lion compatible program days....

Based on their description of the feature I am not convinced its going to work the way everyone hopes. I hope I am wrong and it works like Quick 2015 and the past worked.
  • HQHQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 4
    [Removed-Privacy]
  • aaronaaron Mac Beta ✭✭
    "I'm skeptical that the next upcoming release (v5.18) won't have anything but super basic one-line transfer entry budget capabilities, but see the new announcement:
    "Now, you’ll be able to budget transfers between one account and another."
    https://www.quicken.com/blog/quicken-highlights-september-2020

I hope after years of waiting, that my cynicism is wrong. :wink:

If the Quicken/Intuit universe is listening, what many of us need for budgeting to be helpful inside of Quicken, is to have splits (like a mortgage bill payment that might partially go to an asset account, another part of the bill going to an escrow account, and third being attributed as interest fees expenses). like back in the Quicken 2007 Lion compatible program days...."

You were right
    :'( :'( :'(
  • So I know adding the ability to add transfers to the budget is a big deal. Unfortunately, I would have to add budget categories for specific transfers for this to work. I would like to see the ability to add transfers to category groups. For example I have a category group for "Housing" that contains various housing categories. I would like to add the budget category "TO Escrow" to this category group.
This discussion has been closed.