Add Ability to Include or Exclude Accounts on Budgets in Quicken for Mac (262 Legacy Votes)

smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Please add the ability to choose whether to include or exclude accounts in budgets, like in other versions of Quicken.

At the moment, all accounts are included in budgets. 

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.)

If you do not click VOTE at the top of each one, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
7 votes

Planned · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    You can now VOTE for the feature to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets, here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-b...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of each one, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE to MANY types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac.

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of EACH page of THAT request in the list below to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d....

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• CrashmeisterCrashmeister Member
    edited August 2018
    Transfers present a real problem. I transfer money from a MM account to my checking account. My budget shows it as income, but because I cannot 'unselect' my MM account, the transfers cancel out to 0. This is an example of why we need to support this idea.

Please vote.
    edited December 2016

Transfers present a real problem. I transfer money from a MM account to my checking account. My budget shows it as income, but because I cannot 'unselect' my MM account, the transfers cancel out to 0. This is an example of why we need to support this idea.

Please vote.

You should seriously consider the first item in this list above about managing transfers on budgets too.

edited December 2016

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

The following are some additional organized highlights of the many feature requests you will find:
      and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

• Larry RogersLarry Rogers Member
      edited March 2018

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find:

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

really do need to pick specific accounts in certain reports
    • edited October 2018
      Without this feature - the budget reporting is not at all useful for me because at least four or five major budget items are affected and the yearly and reporting values are thrown off.  Back to excel :( 
    • adhatcheradhatcher Member
      edited August 2018
      I believe this feature is available in the Windows version.  I should be able to create individual budgets for one or more accounts.  Without this feature, it makes the budget function sort of useless and I'm not upgrading until they add this functionality. 
    • Andy PulkowskiAndy Pulkowski Member ✭✭
      edited January 25
      I voted for this feature....see it as a big major missing feature....I have accounts for my wife and I (primary checking, savings, Christmas account) + "Virtual Wallet" accounts for my kids -- so there are at least 8 accounts that I honestly don't care about for my budget.  I need to manage the transactions for these accounts and reconcile, etc. but the budget should be based on the one Primary Checking account which is our spend account.  Ideally -- all functions should have that feature -- budget, reports, calendar -- have the ability to select/de-select accounts.  Along with that -- the ability to select/de-select transfers HAS to be added too.  Just too much double counting.  Going to have to stick with YNAB until these are in place.....Budgets has very good promise but just not quite there.  Thanks much.
    • slhcrnpslhcrnp Member ✭✭
      edited August 2018
      I voted for this feature as well - please allow the payments Mortgage and any loans to be seen in Budget - (again - similar to WIN)
    • David DahanDavid Dahan Member
      edited January 2
      I'm having the same issue. And it's messing up my budget. I added a savings item in my budget (in my case, $1400 per month to my two kid's 529 plans). When I transfer the $1400 to the 529 plans from my checking account, the "Actual" amount for that month in the Budget analysis shows as $0, because, as noted above, transfers out of my checking account and into my 529 plans is a zero sum transfer.

I tried to solve this issue by going into the 529 plans' Settings and selecting "Exclude from Reports" so that the deposit into the 529 plan no longer show up in the reports leaving only the withdrawal from the checking account to appear. It should have worked, but it didn't. The "Actual" amount in the Budget analysis page still shows $0, However, when I click to see the transactions amounting to $0, the transactions are $1400! So, it worked when you drill into the number (i.e., the 529 accounts were excluded), but it didn't work in the overall summary page even though I specifically requested to exclude the 529 account from this report. All Quicken has to do is to have the Budget analysis page to properly exclude the accounts which were marked to be excluded. Please correct this!
    • keith byrdkeith byrd Member
      edited April 2018
      As best I can tell the only way to fix this is to use  Quicken only for the account you want have in your budget.  You would have to deselect account that don't go into the budget but then you would not have access to them in Quicken.  The ability to select which accounts feed the budget is critical.
    • Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭
      edited May 2017
      slhcrnp said:

I voted for this feature as well - please allow the payments Mortgage and any loans to be seen in Budget - (again - similar to WIN)

In 4.5.2, it's the only way to track the mortgage using the bill reminder setup through the mortgage loan account. 
      QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
    • tom earnesttom earnest Member
      edited August 2018
      What you suggest is not a fix.  I want to have all my accounts visible and updated by Quicken and to be able to budget transactions that go from my checking account into another account.
    • keith byrdkeith byrd Member
      edited April 2018
      perhaps not a fix- rather an improvement.  I want to be able to see all my accounts but I don't want all them to feed into the monthly budget report.
      edited September 2017

What you suggest is not a fix.  I want to have all my accounts visible and updated by Quicken and to be able to budget transactions that go from my checking account into another account.

@tom earnest I think what you are looking for is 
      Add Ability to Include or Exclude Transfers on Budgets

• Helen MillsHelen Mills Member
      edited April 2018
      Keith, I totally agree with you and think I have found the solution.  To make sure only the accounts you want to show on the budget are correct, go to "Accounts" in the tool bar at the top of your screen and select "hide and show accounts".  In the reports column on the far right, check all the accounts you DO NOT WANT TO SHOW UP ON YOUR BUDGET.  If you want an account to show up, make sure it is "unchecked" in the reports Column.  Make sure you see the note at the bottom left of this Hide and Show Accounts window which says:  "Transactions will not download to accounts that have been hidden in Lists (the column to the right of reports).  If you want an account to download from your bank, you must make sure it is not checked in Lists.  I hope this helps.
    • KurtKurt Member
      edited September 2017

Keith, I totally agree with you and think I have found the solution.  To make sure only the accounts you want to show on the budget are correct, go to "Accounts" in the tool bar at the top of your screen and select "hide and show accounts".  In the reports column on the far right, check all the accounts you DO NOT WANT TO SHOW UP ON YOUR BUDGET.  If you want an account to show up, make sure it is "unchecked" in the reports Column.  Make sure you see the note at the bottom left of this Hide and Show Accounts window which says:  "Transactions will not download to accounts that have been hidden in Lists (the column to the right of reports).  If you want an account to download from your bank, you must make sure it is not checked in Lists.  I hope this helps.

Thank you Helen - this is a very helpful "work around".
    • KurtKurt Member
      edited October 2018

Without this feature - the budget reporting is not at all useful for me because at least four or five major budget items are affected and the yearly and reporting values are thrown off.  Back to excel :( 

Agree. Not being able to choose which accounts a budget is associated with is  becoming a deal-breaker for me.
    • KurtKurt Member
      edited September 2017
      adhatcher said:

I believe this feature is available in the Windows version.  I should be able to create individual budgets for one or more accounts.  Without this feature, it makes the budget function sort of useless and I'm not upgrading until they add this functionality. 

Agreed. Near useless.
    • KurtKurt Member
      edited September 2017

As best I can tell the only way to fix this is to use  Quicken only for the account you want have in your budget.  You would have to deselect account that don't go into the budget but then you would not have access to them in Quicken.  The ability to select which accounts feed the budget is critical.

Agree - critical!
      edited September 2017

Does not work. I hid reports on my Roth and it still shows 0 paid in the budget. On drill-down it shows the correct amount, so budget ignores the 'report' setting.
      edited September 2017
      Why are we still waiting for this? WT* is Quicken waiting for?
    • adhatcheradhatcher Member
      edited September 2017

Why are we still waiting for this? WT* is Quicken waiting for?

I dont’ think Quicken even monitors this chat. I think it’s their way of providing support, without actually doing anything.
    • James PouliotJames Pouliot Member
      edited January 2018
      slhcrnp said:

Why so long quicken developers? Many requests for this option. Can’t you fix it faster—-why do we have to wait many months and longer to get a very obvious feature included? Please address this issue or I’m done with quicken. I’ve been a quicken user for many years and just purchase the Mac version for the first time and was stunned to see the differences between pc and Mac. Why release a version for a different platform that doesn’t have the same features? You’d have a really big problem selling the pc version if it was released like the Mac version was. Hope you take your Mac users seriously going forward.
      edited January 2018
      slhcrnp said:

Please read this comment from Quicken Marcus that explains why...
      https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-4-x-released?topic-reply...

edited January 2018
      slhcrnp said:

I'm sorry, but investment transactions and transfers in budgets are two separate issues. The exclude accounts option would be quick to implement, and yet they have not.

Hell, a simple request to add the memo column to drill down reports is ignored, despite being a five minute fix and having plenty of support from users.
    • Andy PulkowskiAndy Pulkowski Member ✭✭
      edited March 2018

I voted for this feature....see it as a big major missing feature....I have accounts for my wife and I (primary checking, savings, Christmas account) + "Virtual Wallet" accounts for my kids -- so there are at least 8 accounts that I honestly don't care about for my budget.  I need to manage the transactions for these accounts and reconcile, etc. but the budget should be based on the one Primary Checking account which is our spend account.  Ideally -- all functions should have that feature -- budget, reports, calendar -- have the ability to select/de-select accounts.  Along with that -- the ability to select/de-select transfers HAS to be added too.  Just too much double counting.  Going to have to stick with YNAB until these are in place.....Budgets has very good promise but just not quite there.  Thanks much.

Still nothing. Couldn’t use the budget feature in 2017 and can’t again in 2018. Maybe I just need to use YNAB and quit Quicken totally.
      edited January 2018
      slhcrnp said:

I'm not defending his statements, just passing it along...and it simply looks like they placed all issues regarding budgets, given the greater context of what they are trying to address and accomplish.