Reduce the wasted space on the "Home" pane where I see my consolidated information (5 Merged Votes)

MykScot
MykScot Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
Under the View Bar is the 'Customize' button on its own bar.  There is no way to hide it.
Given that it does take up a whole line with nothing else on it,  as a suggestion, move it to
the line above and to the right, next to the Add View button.
22 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Catherine Monty
    Catherine Monty Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I agree, there is a lot of waste prime space on this page. 
  • Sunil K
    Sunil K Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Reduce the wasted space on the "Home" pane where I see my consolidated information.. I could see 3 rows of widgets in Quicken 2015 and now only 2.5 rows show need to scroll up and down each time ! Have given suggestions in this picture to show how this can easily be improved.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I agree with this.  This button takes up too much vertical space.  Move it to the menus where it is out of the way.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Agree, i've had Quicken for more than 20 years and don't need the "customize' button.
  • dherskovits
    dherskovits Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Why does the "customize" button need to take up room in the space below the "add view" button. Can Quicken please put those buttons right next to each other? - Quicken Deluxe 2018
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I agree. The current position of the Customize button wastes vertical space.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    From C. D. Bales:

"Why does the "customize" button need to take up room in the space below the "add view" button".

I don't have Q2018, but earlier versions also have the "Customize" button on a row below the "Add View" button.

Since the Add view button is on the same row as the actual View tabs, if the Customize button is moved to the same row as the Add View button, there will be that much less space for the View tabs.

Might not be important if you have few Views and/or a big screen; but there can be as many as 12 Home tab Views and when the window gets too narrow to hold all your View tabs, all but the leftmost View tab disappear and the "hidden" views can only be selected by a dropdown on the leftmost View tab.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• System
    System Member admin
    edited February 2020
    This discussion was created from comments split from: List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features (71 Legacy Votes).
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reviving this. I agree with the OP. The Customize button wastes vertical space. There is already an Add View button in the row of Home tabs. The Customize View button should be next to it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rich_M
    Rich_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I never actually thought about this one, but now that I have, I totally agree.  Why not add another ubiquitous gear in place of the Add View button and put both Add View and Customize there. 
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reviving this. I agree with the OP. The Customize button wastes vertical space. There is already an Add View button in the row of Home tabs. The Customize View button should be next to it.

I concur with RJS. The Customize button should be moved next to the Add View button, to save screen space.
    And I could have sworn that we already had a similar Idea posted here, but I can't find it.
    Programmers, please make this change!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have sworn I've recently seen another discussion of this "wasted space" that has had multiple contributors ... but I can't find it right now ...
    As it stands, it would be nice if the programmers could make the change requested above, plus a few other "wasted white space" suggestions that have been made before.
    You've got my vote.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich_M said:
    I never actually thought about this one, but now that I have, I totally agree.  Why not add another ubiquitous gear in place of the Add View button and put both Add View and Customize there. 
    No, please! No more gears! I can never remember which one is which as it is. There's room for a button. No need to hide it behind yet another gear.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• pmrussell892
    pmrussell892 Member ✭✭✭
    I agree, This button can go next to the add view button.
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Also a lot of the 12 month type graphs like networth, portfolio etc. would be easier to read if you could squash them 2 across the page instead of having an aspect of 6 across to 1 down!
  • WallyNessa
    WallyNessa Member ✭✭
    Completely agree!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If this discussion is strictly about the placement of the Customize gear icon in the Home tab, then I think we can retire it. The introduction of the Dashboard view some time ago made the gear icon change functionality and location.

Additional requests for change within the Classic View or the Dashboard View should, IMHO, be reissued as separate Ideas or added on to already existing similar Ideas.