Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Investment Account with multiple holdings

UnknownUnknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I set up an IRA account in Quicken years ago with multiple holdings and was reporting the account correctly up to a weekish ago. Today I noticed it only reflects one holding and cash.  The account detail still reflects the answer No to "single mutual fund".  I'm using Quicken 2016 Premier, Windows 10  Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It sounds as if the other holdings were sold and the proceeds deposited as cash. Did you sell the other holdings?

I would look in the account register to see what transactions occurred in the last week. Also, you could use the Portfolio to step back one day at a time to see the day the account holdings changed from multiple holdings to just one holding.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    No did not sell anything have been buying and reinvestment transactions.  Just noticed when I go to the security listings I see one fund with a "placeholder" transactions on 10/7.  When I go to the actual account, that transaction is not there. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Sure enough, I walked the holding date back to 10/6 and all holdings are listed/  on 10/7, date of that placeholder transaction, which is not in the account register but only shows when I look at the security listing . I may have updated my portfolio around that date. Can I delete that placeholder transaction?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Fixed it.  With your help about walking the date back and being able to point to these placeholder transactions and then researched, placeholders.  It turns out the placeholders on the security listings were HIDDEN in the account register. Found this comment that resolved the problem:

Select Edit->Preferences....
    Select Investment transactions for Select preference type:.

Check the box to the left of Show hidden transactions. Select Done.
    Review the investment register for the transactions that have an Action value of Entry.

To delete the placeholder transaction, you may right click on the transaction and select Delete

In my case these placeholders were removing all the shares of those securities in the register.  once deleted, all the holdings came back and show correctly.

NOW the questions is how did it happen!

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Mike

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Michael said:

Fixed it.  With your help about walking the date back and being able to point to these placeholder transactions and then researched, placeholders.  It turns out the placeholders on the security listings were HIDDEN in the account register. Found this comment that resolved the problem:

Select Edit->Preferences....
    Select Investment transactions for Select preference type:.

Check the box to the left of Show hidden transactions. Select Done.
    Review the investment register for the transactions that have an Action value of Entry.

To delete the placeholder transaction, you may right click on the transaction and select Delete

In my case these placeholders were removing all the shares of those securities in the register.  once deleted, all the holdings came back and show correctly.

NOW the questions is how did it happen!

Thank you for responding to my questions.

Mike

You asked "NOW the questions is how did it happen!"(sic)

Now that's a $64 question.
    I can only guess ...
    If nobody helped himself to your shares while you weren't looking, the most likely cause is a garbled or otherwise truncated download of transactions and/or holdings  from the brokerage.
    On the day of that event, Quicken should have immediately warned you about a discrepancy and asked you about creating placeholder transactions.
    Personally, I avoid placeholders like the plague. If I ever get into this situation, I decline the "create placeholder" request from Quicken and start researching what's going on.

If you want to read more about placeholders, go into Quicken Help and do a Contents search on keyword placeholder.
This discussion has been closed.