Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Q Mac Calendar View - Color Code Transactions and Add Balance Bar Graph as with Windows Versions

Quicken Community
Quicken Community Employee mod
edited June 2020 in Display/UI (Mac)
The addition of the calendar view in Q2017 for Mac is a step toward making the Mac version comparable to the Windows editions but visually it is a very impaired presentation in comparison. It is visually very difficult to discern entered transactions from pending transactions as they are the same color and shading. The only visible difference in the little clock symbol which takes a lot of close scrutiny to discern. Windows versions make this very easy by coloring pending transactions and having no color for entered transactions.

Similarly, there is no distinction between income and expense transactions except the tiny "-" sign, again requiring close scrutiny to find versus a clear color distinction between pending income and expense transactions. Windows Quicken versions handle this well. The Mac calendar does not meet basic visual design standards.

Finally, the absence of a bar graph at the bottom of the calendar view to graphically see at a glance balance information is also impairing. To determine balance, one must either look at each day in the calendar to find the low balance point and amount or leave the calendar entirely to the "bills" tab and customize a graph there. This really defeats the purpose and usefulness of the monthly calendar view. 

Please add visually distinctive color/shading variation for pending versus entered transactions, income versus expense transactions, and a bar graph tracking daily balance. All of these features exist in the Windows versions of Quicken calendar view, are easily programmed, and are necessary to make the calendar a useful tool.

Thank you!
7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Very well stated. I just switched from windows and these were things that I relied on for quick decisions. Their lack makes me consider continuing to run a Windows version under parallels.
  • JP
    JP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    fdam said:

Very well stated. I just switched from windows and these were things that I relied on for quick decisions. Their lack makes me consider continuing to run a Windows version under parallels.

The account balance graph colors are the same in Window 10 Quicken V 2017 R4 26.1.4.5.
    When is this going to be fixed!?
  • JP
    JP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    fdam said:

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    fdam said:

Quicken offers a 60 day money back guarantee , no questions asked.
  • JP
    JP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    fdam said:

getting my money back doe not solve the issue for the many users.
    It appears it has been an issue for 5 months.  Maybe there is a better way to approach the issue.
  • djpatrickb
    djpatrickb Member
    It would be nice to be able to customize the transaction colors in the calendar. This would make it easier to see what has been paid and what has not. Right now, every transaction is green.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited June 2020
    Hello @djpatrickb,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and merged your post with an ongoing Idea for this same feature request.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:
    Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Architect55
    Architect55 Member
    Agree, this is irritating and seems like it would be a simple add.
  • jtsmoore
    jtsmoore Member ✭✭
    Could you please restore the "Add Note" function to the Calendar that existed in Quicken 2007 and earlier versions? This allowed notes to be attached to each day on the Calendar. Also, could you make it possible to import Calendar notes from Quicken 2007 and then also export those notes at PDFs for text files?