Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken 2013 will not add Dell Technologies (DVMT) to securities. Can't change "Unidentified Securi

Edward WardEdward Ward Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
When Q13 loaded trans from brokerage, it asked if this was the same as the DVMT that also showed up with a dividend payment.  I said yes, but it still entered it as Unidentified Security.  I edited the transaction for the added shares, and the add-security dialog processed normally.  However, Dell Technologies did not replace the unidentified security, and when I edited the transaction again, it went into the add new security process again.  Which I did.  I hit enter at the end, and the transaction didn't update and DVMT wasn't added to the security list.  So I tried entering an entirely new transaction, figuring once I entered it from scratch, I could delete the unidentified-security entry.  But the same problem occurred with the add-security dialog, with everything progressing normally, but no new security being added.  I don't know if this is realated, but when I enter the name, but not the ticker, Quicken sends me to my browser for a Quicken search page that says it can't find Dell Technologies.

Any ideas on how I can get the Quicken register to correctly reflect the name of the security?

Comments

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    My guess is the securities table in Quicken is corrupted or you matched it to a different security other than DVMT. In Security Details, does Dell (DVMT) show in the check box, "Matched with online security"?  If so, uncheck that box. Q13 cannot accept downloads anymore so that could present an additional problem. Check your Securities List to make sure there is no other DVMT symbol listed.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    I had no problem, just now, adding DVMT to my securities list.  So, I'd agree with markus1957 that the issue is something specific to your setup.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Edward WardEdward Ward Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Bingo!  SOMEHOW, it showed in the Security List ALL wrong - it was a bond and it was linked to a security.  I have NO idea where that came from, but after accessing the Security List, I was able to edit the security details, correct the fields, and download current quotes.  It's now showing correctly in my brokerage transaction register and reporting correctly.

Thanks markus1957 and NotACPA.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Bingo!  SOMEHOW, it showed in the Security List ALL wrong - it was a bond and it was linked to a security.  I have NO idea where that came from, but after accessing the Security List, I was able to edit the security details, correct the fields, and download current quotes.  It's now showing correctly in my brokerage transaction register and reporting correctly.

Thanks markus1957 and NotACPA.

Keep in mind if you are using Q13, you are living on borrowed time as far as quotes downloads are concerned. Technically, Quicken should have cut you off from those at the end of April. Same goes for brokerage downloads, but Q13 did not have all those Intuit ID bells and whistles so it just might fly under the radar a little longer with quotes and direct connect.
    edited May 2018
    markus1957 -

Thanks for the reminder.  After playing with this again today, I realized I mis-spoke (mis-typed?).  I'm really on 2014.  I forgot that I had upgraded.  In any case, I just recently saw that 2017 is out, and I had already planned on upgrading as soon as I got everything as clean and as stable as possible.

Now that DVMT is resolved, I'll just do one more backup and file verification and then take the big leap.

Thanks again.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

markus1957 -

Thanks for the reminder.  After playing with this again today, I realized I mis-spoke (mis-typed?).  I'm really on 2014.  I forgot that I had upgraded.  In any case, I just recently saw that 2017 is out, and I had already planned on upgrading as soon as I got everything as clean and as stable as possible.

Now that DVMT is resolved, I'll just do one more backup and file verification and then take the big leap.

Thanks again.

Is there some reason to rush taking the leap?  QW2017 has been out less than a month.  While the limited posts I have seen (I am not reading all posts these days) have not been too critical, I am sure there are still a few bugs to undo.  Conventional wisdom has often advised waiting until several patch updates have been released (maybe 2 to 5 releases depending on ones pain tolerance).  
    edited May 2018
    Q -

I understand.  Normally, I'm a "late adopter" of ANY software, but I'm hoping that Q17 will address problems I'm having with downloading transactions, particularly from multiple accounts in TD Ameritrade.  When I go to the Downloaded Transactions tab in the transaction view, it says "Accept downloaded transactions into transactions list," and then displays no transactions and offers the button for "Done."  I click "Done," and the bottom frame retracts.  When I open it again, it offers the same direction to accept the (non-existent) transactions.  Rinse, repeat.  Meanwhile, when I click the Update Transactions button, the transaction downloads are unpredictable, but most often failing (no error messages, just not downloading any recent transactions, forcing me to enter them manually).

Have tried resetting the accounts and deactivating/reactivating the online setup.  Nada.  Have tried all corrective tweaks I can find in Google.  Nada. 

So although I'm leery of the pain of new software, especially given Quicken's development history, I'm already experiencing the pain of the existing software.  So it's the potential problems of a new release, weighed against the certain problems of the existing software.

I have Quicken on two PCs, and each is now pointed to a different database, in preparation for the upgrade attempt.  If the upgrade has no obvious issues on my secondary system, I'll try that for a month or so before committing to the upgrade on my primary system.

Wish me luck.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Q -

I understand.  Normally, I'm a "late adopter" of ANY software, but I'm hoping that Q17 will address problems I'm having with downloading transactions, particularly from multiple accounts in TD Ameritrade.  When I go to the Downloaded Transactions tab in the transaction view, it says "Accept downloaded transactions into transactions list," and then displays no transactions and offers the button for "Done."  I click "Done," and the bottom frame retracts.  When I open it again, it offers the same direction to accept the (non-existent) transactions.  Rinse, repeat.  Meanwhile, when I click the Update Transactions button, the transaction downloads are unpredictable, but most often failing (no error messages, just not downloading any recent transactions, forcing me to enter them manually).

Have tried resetting the accounts and deactivating/reactivating the online setup.  Nada.  Have tried all corrective tweaks I can find in Google.  Nada. 

So although I'm leery of the pain of new software, especially given Quicken's development history, I'm already experiencing the pain of the existing software.  So it's the potential problems of a new release, weighed against the certain problems of the existing software.

I have Quicken on two PCs, and each is now pointed to a different database, in preparation for the upgrade attempt.  If the upgrade has no obvious issues on my secondary system, I'll try that for a month or so before committing to the upgrade on my primary system.

Wish me luck.

Good Luck.  

Personally, I avoid giving advice on download issues because a) I do a minimal amount of it, and b) I have few issues with it, so I lack the experience to advise others.  But my perspective is jaded enough that I rarely expect a year-over-year program upgrade to fix an underlying problem.  If it is a database problem, that problem usually remains.  If it is a financial institution problem, that problem tends to remain.  

You may want to start a separate discussion on that type of download problem to get better advice from those knowledgeable.  There are numerous discussions on this site about downloaded transactions not showing up correctly.  
    edited October 2016
    Q -

I agree with your observations.  I'm holding out hope because I'm doing a 3-year upgrade, and I HOPE that this sort of problem has been known and stabilized by now.  I figure that if I go to Q17 and still have the same problems, I'll throw myself on the mercy of the investment-download mavens for some fix (or at least some workaround). 

Thanks again for your help.

- Ed
This discussion has been closed.