lifetime planner won't recognize debt reduction plan

Working in U.S. Quicken H&B 2016 for Windows Release R 8 (25.1.8.5).  

Seems to be a long-time issue that the Lifetime Planner won't recognize a debt reduction plan.  The debt redux planner works great (except for the community-noted minimum payment calculations).  

I've tried just about everything I can think of, but the lifetime planner says "You don't have a debt reduction plan".  I tried removing the individual loans from the planner, but that didn't change anything.  

Only thing I haven't tried is deleting my lifetime plan and creating a new one from scratch to see if it would then recognize the plan, but that is a lot of work.  

Would appreciate any help!  Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Patrick,

Can you provide more detail on exactly when you get the message "You don't have a debt reduction plan"?

I get this screen when I try to add my debt reduction plan to my lifetime plan:

I am able to select "Yes" and then click "Done" and don't encounter the error message about not having a plan.

You also mentioned having trouble with the minimum payment amounts in the debt reduction planner. How did you work around that issue?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • PhilipPhilip Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I have a similar issue in Premiere 2016. I added a debt reduction plan for my home mortgage. When I go to my lifetime planner it doesn't show that have any debt reduction plans. I've tried adding other loan types, validated the file many times and created new copies as well as opening and closing the Quicken file. Nothing corrects the situation.

• PhilipPhilip Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

So, just off the phone with Quicken support, Case # 350771. This is a known issue and will be fixed with the next release. I'm currently on Release 10 so that means in R11 it should be fixed. It's due out in a couple months, so around Feb 2017. I asked about what if I upgrade now to Quicken 2017 and he said it's an issue with all versions of Quicken so they have to fix it in the next release for all versions. At least it's not just me or my file and it is known about by Quicken. That's half the battle.

One thing of note was the tech had me do a Super Validate on my file. You hold down CTRL-SHIFT while selecting the Validate and Repair menu choice. Of course it didn't fix this but maybe the Super Validate will help with any other issues down the road.

• PhilipPhilip Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jan-20, an update was pushed out toady, R4 for Quicken 2017 Premier. Was excited to see if the debt reduction is now showing up in the Lifetime planner as Support said it would. But NO, doesn't look like they put a fix in for this. It wasn't listed in the list of changes for R4 either.

BTW, I upgraded to the 2017 version of Premiere. Not sure why, it isn't very different and the colors suck.
  • edited January 2017
    Philip said:

Jan-20, an update was pushed out toady, R4 for Quicken 2017 Premier. Was excited to see if the debt reduction is now showing up in the Lifetime planner as Support said it would. But NO, doesn't look like they put a fix in for this. It wasn't listed in the list of changes for R4 either.

BTW, I upgraded to the 2017 version of Premiere. Not sure why, it isn't very different and the colors suck.

LTP not recognizing a Debt Reduction Plan has been an issue, I believe, going back to Q12. When I originally read that a tech told you they would fix it in the next release my first thought wasn't renderable in polite company.
  • edited January 2017
    Philip said:

FWIW, I re-up year-to-year when our taxes are trickier than usual. Automatically porting Q Tax Planner data to TurboTax can be very handy. That's the only feature I've ever considered worth paying YTY for, especially when so many of Quicken's core features still don't work properly/reliably years after they were introduced. If the new bosses would fix a lot of this core functionality I wouldn't care what the colors were. They could put a pulsating epileptic strobe in the corner of the screen -- I'd take it. 
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Philip said:

Plague, what does this have to do with the debt reduction planner showing in the Lifetime Planner?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited January 2017
    Philip said:

The OP was complaining about Q17's color scheme and wondering why he upgraded from Q16. I explained why I sometimes found it useful to upgrade YTY . I also opined about why I think Q17's color scheme is beside the point given that many of QW's core features still don't work properly.
  • BryanBryan Member
    edited November 2018
    Same problem (and screen shot) as Phillip.  The help file says to click "Include / Exclude" in the debt reduction  section of the page, but there is no such option.  I've created a debt reduction plan under the PLANNING tab, but I don't get the window that MSHIGGINS is showing above.  Using Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R15
  • ClaytonClayton Member
    edited December 2017
    Bryan said:

Same problem (and screen shot) as Phillip.  The help file says to click "Include / Exclude" in the debt reduction  section of the page, but there is no such option.  I've created a debt reduction plan under the PLANNING tab, but I don't get the window that MSHIGGINS is showing above.  Using Quicken 2017 Rental Property Manager R15

Same here as Phillip & Bryan. I've tried in years past and again now as I came back this year and opted for Q2017 Premier. Still no go. Thought maybe Q2018 Premier would be working but not yet. I've created both Debt Red'n & the Lifetime Planner numerous times. First one then the other even after creating a whole new data file. Delete and then recreate each in alternating order. No time have I ever seen that Tab/Window that MSHIGGINS posted. At least now I know it does exist, somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.