Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quotes do not update with Quicken Premier for Windows 2017 R2

UnknownUnknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Quotes do not update when I do One Step Update.  Quicken attempts to download a .tmp file which Windows does not allow Quicken to open.  If I examine the file, it appears nul.  Sometimes Quicken just attempts to connect in an endless loop that I have to force quit.  At other times Quicken downloads a .tmp file which Quicken does not recognize.  This is all since I updated to the new version.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Hung during OSU, Crash at Startup or other
    unexplainable malfunctions in Quicken for Windows

Please verify this:

In Windows Control
    Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that
    both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically
    C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp

If they point to a non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an
    existing folder on C:\ and reboot Windows.

If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions
    will occur.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Both TMP and TEMP point to a valid folder.  I probably should have mentioned that I am running Windows virtually on a Parallels Desk Top on a Mac.  Foolishly I updated the version of the Parallels Desk Top I was running at about the same time.  
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Both TMP and TEMP point to a valid folder.  I probably should have mentioned that I am running Windows virtually on a Parallels Desk Top on a Mac.  Foolishly I updated the version of the Parallels Desk Top I was running at about the same time.  

What is the full path and name of that TEMP folder?
    Are you sure that your Windows User Account has proper access rights to this folder?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited September 2018
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData etc My Windows user acct has all rights - I am the only user and sysadmin
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

%USERPROFILE%\AppData etc My Windows user acct has all rights - I am the only user and sysadmin

Open a DOS Command Prompt and enter the command SET
    This will list all environment variables in effect.
    Does USERPROFILE correctly point to C:\Users\_your_username_ ?
    What do TMP and TMP point to? They should be listed with the %USERPROFILE% variable translated into the correct value
    Have you verified that this folder does indeed exist and is being used by the system?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    USERPROFILE does correctly point to C:\users_my_username
    TMP and TEMP point to C:\users_my_username\AppData\Local\Temp
    Yes, the system is using the folder.

I reinstalled Parallel Tools but no difference.  Note that during the install (and during the initial install) I receive a message that access to the Hosts file is blocked.  (However, the Hosts file is all commented out and not used anyway)

One other thing to clarify: when I go to the Investment tab in Quicken, the operating system wants to save a .tmp file - I can save it or not, but I can't open it - Quicken is not in the list of applications that Windows presents for options to open the file.  I can see the file but can't read it.  It does appear to be populated at times.  Other thing: Quotes do not update during a One-Step Update and if I attempt to only update Quotes, I go into an endless loop of Connecting...

Another symptom that is likely the result of not updating quotes is that the newspaper icons in my Investment view do not show a headline with a cursor rollover.

This all happened after updating to Quicken 2017 R2.  I've also done some Windows updates in the interim so it is getting difficult to sort out.  Thank you for your help and I'm willing to do some more troubleshooting, though I am starting to think that I got a bad install on Quicken and maybe should do over.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I knew upgrading to Quicken 2017 was a mistake when I did it, but the curiosity got me and I did it anyway.  I was going to wait for several months until all the bugs were out of it.  Now I'm stuck and can't update my stock quotes.  There's a username that's in a field that I can't change because it's a "dead field" and it's the wrong username so I can't update.  I didn't have any problems in 2016 with this.  Ah how I wish I had some pull at Intuit to get this handled, but alas 20+ years of using Quicken and Quickbooks doesn't mean anything, I'm just stuck.  Thank you Intuit!!!!!!!!!
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    JEOILER said:

I knew upgrading to Quicken 2017 was a mistake when I did it, but the curiosity got me and I did it anyway.  I was going to wait for several months until all the bugs were out of it.  Now I'm stuck and can't update my stock quotes.  There's a username that's in a field that I can't change because it's a "dead field" and it's the wrong username so I can't update.  I didn't have any problems in 2016 with this.  Ah how I wish I had some pull at Intuit to get this handled, but alas 20+ years of using Quicken and Quickbooks doesn't mean anything, I'm just stuck.  Thank you Intuit!!!!!!!!!

Intuit no longer owns Quicken.

Why don't you revert back to QW2016? The data file can be used by both QW2016 and QW2017. This is new for QW2017.

Alternatively, I would try reinstalling QW2017.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    JEOILER said:

To clear this go to Edit>Preferences>Intuit ID, click "sign-on as a different user" and enter your desired credentials for Quicken. When prompted, check the box to store the ID in the password vault. That way it will prompt you less frequently with this box and it will be set with your desired ID.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    JEOILER said:

Thank you for your help, but I fear this is one of those problems that is just not solvable.   I've even tried to set up a new Intuit account and ID and that has failed.  Seems like no matter what I do I get the message that either my ID or password are incorfrect.   I may be in some space warp from which I can't excape!!  I'd love to have one of the programmers here to show me the error of my ways.  (#*$*$%&&  Jim
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    JEOILER said:

The third time was a charm.  Thanks for your help
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Not quite sure advice was intended for me, but a variant worked, so thank you for your help.  I went to Edit>Preferences>Investment Transactions>Investing.Quicken.com portfolio.  One of my investment accounts was checked (maybe I did this after the upgrade while checking things out--dunno).  I unchecked it.  I made sure that I selected only Send my symbols only.  Sure enough, the problem went away!  Thanks so much! 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016
    You're welcome.  I guess I may have replied to you in error, but glad you were able to solve the problem.
This discussion has been closed.