Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Q Mac 2017 Reporting

Richard@
[email protected] Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Long time Quicken Windows user but wanting to switch to Mac.  Have tried the 2017 software and am thinking of switching back to Windows version.  Either I am a dunce or the reporting capability leaves much to be desired!  All I would like to do is print something as simple as an investment report that shows the portfolio value - can't seem to do it or export the data to another software to do it.  Am I missing something or is the reporting as bad as it appears?  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    I made the switch about 4 months ago and so far its been ok.  I knew what I was getting into so I lowered my expectations.  I too even had trouble figuring out where reports were.  Its not obvious because you have to scroll down to even see the menu and its not placed in a logical location like the pull down menus'.  What I have determined is that Mac version is completely different than the windows version.  Good news is that I have been able to get all of my links to banks and brokerages working but it was not without dropping a couple of F bombs and needing to contact support.  My support experience so far has been pretty good. I only use reporting for networth, category summaries and that's about it.  Investment stuff I get from my brokerage online center.  TD Ameritrade is awesome by the way.  Switched from Scottrade.
  • Richard@
    edited January 2017
    Curt
    Thanks for the reply.  As you stated, connections to financial institutions seem to work OK.  My frustration continues to be with the poor ad hoc reporting capability as compared to the Windows software.
    Dick 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Yes, customized reports, especially for investments is still under developed in QM2017. 

You may want to add your vote for some of the requests for investment reports: Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE to MANY types of reports and report features, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/list-of-requests-for-report-types-and-related-fe...

Click the link above to go take a look at the list and vote for the ones you want to see implemented in Quicken for Mac. 

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features.  Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately. Then you click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Add your vote here:

(

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I can't believe you are giving advice on 2017 when you don't know 2016 enough to post an accurate improvement and you use every opportunity to get people not thoroughly up to speed to indorse your proposals to make changes to Quicken.  You don't seem to have a life from what I see.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Additionally, you use QM 2007 what ever for your personal........you just play with the other versions you do not support their use otherwise.
  • smayer97
    edited December 2016

I can't believe you are giving advice on 2017 when you don't know 2016 enough to post an accurate improvement and you use every opportunity to get people not thoroughly up to speed to indorse your proposals to make changes to Quicken.  You don't seem to have a life from what I see.

Then you really are not understanding what I am doing...As case in point, I actually have no interest in investment reports. I barely track any investments in Quicken. 

If you follow closely enough, you will notice that SuperUsers have a lot of experience and insight, but you will find that some of it is not first hand. That does not diminish what we are able to accomplish, though sometimes there are missteps. 

What I am doing here is making sure that people know how to voice their requests in an organized and efficient manner so that they are meaningful for Quicken to act on. People will vote for something they are interested in.

Just posting complaints all over the forum does not get the visibility by Quicken in this mostly user-to-user forum. On the other hand, the IDEA section is more closely monitored by the development teams. But it has to be done in a constructive intentional fashion to carry any significant weight.

The more people speak up and share their vote on desired features, the better understanding Quicken will have of what to focus their efforts on to get the most buy-in by users (and ultimately profits). So it is a win-win situation. 

Add your vote here:

(

• Richard@
    edited November 2016

Yes, customized reports, especially for investments is still under developed in QM2017. 

You may want to add your vote for some of the requests for investment reports:

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

smayer97
    Thanks for your comments.  In the future I will vote my concerns rather than express my frustrations with Q2017 for mac reporting capabilities.
    Dick
  • smayer97
    edited December 2016

You may want to add your vote for some of the requests for investment reports:

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

Yes, be sure to go through the links and add your votes. If you decide to stay with QM2017, it will let developers know where the needs are.

If you decide to go back to Windows, this will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to switch again by seeking to have the features you are used to end up in the latest version.

Add your vote here:

(

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Richard, sorry to learn you opted for QM17 prior to coming to this community to understand what is /is not available in QM. As you are now aware Qm is severely underdeveloped at this time. So if you need to have the Investment capability of QW your best choice is to run QW on a VM . Before deciding to  switch from QW to QM  I spent quality time here learning the differences between QW & QM so I could determine if QM worked for my needs. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Richard,
    Here's a great site that gives you all the options of how to run windows on a MAC and there are several.http://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

Good Luck!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Here's a plug and play win for mac that's cool too and has a lot of plusses over the others and portable too (personally I like this option) http://www.winformac.com/order/  

This was one of their boastings:

Does Quicken run with Win For Mac ?

One of the frequently asked questions – Yes, Quicken runs on our solution flawlessly.

• Richard@
    edited January 2017
    To all that replied - thanks for all your comments.  I have decided to stick with Q-Mac 2017 and work my way through the learning curve and hope for better features in the future from Quicken.  Frankly I was just fed up with running q-Win on a VM on my iMac.  Thanks again to all.
    Richard
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Richard,
    I have been a long time Quicken for Mac user, going back to '93. I tried several times to switch to Quicken for Windows and ended up returning the product because I liked the interface so much better on Mac. However, the last version of Quicken for Mac that did a good job with reports was Quicken 2007. The next upgrade was 2015 and now 2017, neither of which provide the kind of flexibility one wants with a report (simple things like show/hide columns in Category report, changing column widths, and filtering transactions based on a keyword or phrase that occurs in it). Transaction reports can probably best be done in the register window itself since it allows transaction filtering (based on date range and/or search keyword), reordering of columns, and show/hide columns (or fields). If you really need to have control over the formatting you can Export the register as a CSV, open it in Excel, sort the rows by Category, and insert your own subtotal formulas for each category, and further mess with formatting in Excel. I am still stuck with Quicken for Mac and hoping that they will pay attention to all the report suggestions for the future but I was disappointed that so little was done between QM2015 to QM2017. Good luck.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,
    I have been a long time Quicken for Mac user, going back to '93. I tried several times to switch to Quicken for Windows and ended up returning the product because I liked the interface so much better on Mac. However, the last version of Quicken for Mac that did a good job with reports was Quicken 2007. The next upgrade was 2015 and now 2017, neither of which provide the kind of flexibility one wants with a report (simple things like show/hide columns in Category report, changing column widths, and filtering transactions based on a keyword or phrase that occurs in it). Transaction reports can probably best be done in the register window itself since it allows transaction filtering (based on date range and/or search keyword), reordering of columns, and show/hide columns (or fields). If you really need to have control over the formatting you can Export the register as a CSV, open it in Excel, sort the rows by Category, and insert your own subtotal formulas for each category, and further mess with formatting in Excel. I am still stuck with Quicken for Mac and hoping that they will pay attention to all the report suggestions for the future but I was disappointed that so little was done between QM2015 to QM2017. Good luck.

Wonder is it just the later versions of MAC that are missing all the bells and whistles that QM2007 had or did windows suffer the same fate?
  • smayer97
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Just the Mac version as it is a complete re-write that started in 2010 with the release of QEM (with several stops and starts). With QM2015 onward, they finally got a good new development team together and seem to finally have some good forward momentum.

For more info, see background history here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-faq-why-is-the-current-version-of-qu...

Add your vote here:

(

• Richard@
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Jim and all others who have replied to my original post - thanks for your comments.  I also like the Mac version of Quicken - just hope that the Quicken team will be able to add the features over time that us ex-windows users assumed should be included in the Mac version.  Keep on voting!!
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Thanks for the background smayer97. I will continue to offer and vote on suggestions, but if I had just one tip for the development team it would be to play with QM2007 and try to first implement the basic features that users got addicted to, rather than a grassroots approach to expect us to vote on every tiny thing, for example in how reports worked in the golden days. As a long time user I just assumed they had that as a basic target. But now I fear that those who started from scratch making 2015 and now 2017 may lack this vision--I hope I am wrong.
  • smayer97
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

I certainly hope so...but can't be 100% sure. I do think though it is more an issue priority setting based on the available resources they have. So this mechanism is one way to voice the need for certain components over others. And I do believe they are listening, though the proof will be in the pudding.

Add your vote here:

(

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Jim, I agree with you, 10 years have already passed at this point for users to be still struggling with trying to get Quicken to bring back the features that existed in QM2007 that have so many loyal fans still hanging in there.   There is a version that has what people want so why can't Quicken just clone it simple.  

I have seen custom complicated programs for big government built from scratch in 2 years tops so I think the excuses are getting a bit thin now.  

There are many more MAC users today then there ever was and you would think that would encourage Quicken to pay more attention and or invest more time in to this market of users.  Today, people read reviews before making a purchase these days and the current reviews well.....  

The only other outlook would be to assume we are just being patronized and this is as good as it gets for MAC users.

Please no pep talks on my account!
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

For anyone still looking at this thread, I discovered a feature in QMac2017 that I thought was missing since QMac2007. Until now I was unaware that I could see the prices of a security/investment account for a past date, for instance, if I wanted to reconcile my Quicken values with a statement that ended last month or quarter. It DOES exist! One first has to switch to the PORTFOLIO view (if in the TRANSACTION view) for a selected Brokerage account and near the top left is a "Price and Holdings as of" field in which you can enter a past date.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get the Transaction History for a given security that I have. I figured out how to look at the Price History and thought there should have been a Transaction History button there but no such luck. 
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

For a transaction history;
    With the transaction register open - you can filter the register to show all activity for any given security.
    Enter the security name in the Search box at upper right.

Note that you will likely need to set the Date filter to All Dates.
    You can also include the Shares and/or Share Balance column(s) in the register if desired.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Thank you. It seems odd that I cannot select to make a column visible for the Security Symbol. I almost prefer to do my search based on the symbol rather than name, but this works. Thanks again.
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

Thank you. It seems odd that I cannot select to make a column visible for the Security Symbol. I almost prefer to do my search based on the symbol rather than name, but this works. Thanks again.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

I miss the Symbol too. My work-around for the present is to prefix the security name with the symbol; e.g., 'MSFT Microsoft Corp'
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• smayer97
    edited March 2017
    Jim said:

Richard,

BTW You can look up the Release Notes for Quicken 2017 for Mac and bookmark them to monitor the new features as the are made available.

Add your vote here:

(

This discussion has been closed.