Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Deleting old CALLS

smfcpacfpsmfcpacfp Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am currently using Quicken for Windows 2015, but I have been using a version of Quicken for many years.  I sell covered calls against my stock positions.  I seldom sell calls that don't expire within a few weeks.  Each call has a unique name (a unique security).  Thus over the years I have probably sold 1,000+ different calls.  Some go back many years.  Each year I close out Quicken.  However all of the old calls are still in my list of securities.  Is there a way to get rid of these so they don't clutter up my database of securities. 

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I too deal with a lot of options.  I just hide them after their expiration date and haven't had a problem with that approach as of yet.
  • smfcpacfpsmfcpacfp Member
    edited November 2016

I too deal with a lot of options.  I just hide them after their expiration date and haven't had a problem with that approach as of yet.

I hide them also but having all of those securities in the database probably slows operations down.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Just be aware of this file limitation, according to this article - up to 2000 trackable stocks 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file
    "Note: Once the limit has been reached, there is no way to decrease the limit count..."

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

edited October 2016

True smayer97.  The question is that since the article doesn't simply say up to 2,000 stocks in the list of securities, what defines a "trackable" stock.  Be nice if someone from Quicken could clarify and be more specific.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

I think that you're getting too picky.  It's 2000 items in the security list
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited October 2016

If that's the case then that's what it should say.  However, its very easy to interpret "trackable" as only those for which you are downloading quotes.  If you're not downloading quotes then you're not tracking the security.

Hence my request for someone employed by Quicken to clarify.
    edited November 2016

I hope a Quicken expert jumps in.  It seems logical to me that there should be a way to get rid of securities that have been closed out for several years, don't you think?  If you click on an individual call name in the "Tools" menu under "Security Name" option it shows the trades made for securities that were closed, some as far back as 2006! 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2016

On the question of "trackable" I wouldn't get your hopes up of someone explaining it, because it is my bet that there isn't anyone that actually knows.  Or if there is someone that knows, it is a software developer that isn't going to be responding here.

On the subject of removing securities.  The the transactions that security is used in have to go first.

It is a basic data integrity problem.
    The security doesn't actually exist in the transaction.
    What exists in the transaction is a pointer back to the security in the security list.
    This is why when you change the name of the security it changes everywhere.

If they allowed you to remove the security without first removing the transactions that reference it, that would mess up those transactions.
    edited October 2016

QPW is correct as I've ask the question before ... i.e. what is "trackable" and never recieved an answer.  Also, the database/software design probably does not allow for deleted securities as QPW mentions but that doesn't mean ti couldn't be handled in various ways either by retaining history of the transaction without maintaining history of the individual stock/option or some other way.  The easiest way to deal with this would just be to deal with options that are expired in a different way so that the user doesn't see them if the date is after the expiration and to not have a 2,000 trackable limit.  But this gets into the many shortcomings of the investment functionality in Quicken that I'm trying to change with every release.

smfcpacfp ... if you are interested I would encourage you to become a beta tester or get involved in a focus group.  It would help the cause to have others that are savvy investors provide input into the product.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2016

Well you are talking about what "could be done".  Lots of things are possible in this world, but the question I think was about what can be done in Quicken now.

Also mostly because there isn't much else out there people want Quicken to work for all their investment needs, no matter what kind of investor they are.

It is pretty clear that the design criteria for Quicken investments was for the "average investor".  The kind where most of the investments would be mutual funds (or in these days ETFs)

So you will have to convince Quicken Inc that a large portion of their customers needed what you want so that it will get a higher priority over other things.
    edited November 2016

I understand completely what QPW is saying.  What I find puzzling is this.  Each year I archive old transactions and start anew.  I understand that securities, where you currently have a position, aren't closed out because you need purchase date and cost information until you eventually dispose of it.  Like you guys said who cares about one guy with this issue.  Maybe I will develop my own solution. Maybe once the year is over and I have archived the data, I should go back and delete those closed option positions and the related security names.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Go ahead an TRY to develop your own software.  But keep in mind how successful Microsoft was in that effort.  They couldn't keep that portion of the business going ... so they closed it out.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited November 2016

I didn't say I was going to try and develop my own software, I guess you didn't read my reply very well.  I said I would develop a solution within the confines of Quicken.  It does a lot pretty well.  It is shame there are no real competitors anymore.
    edited November 2016

Since this came up in this post ... I have 3,242 total securities in Quicken so clearly "2,000 trackable stocks" does not mean total securities listed in the securities list.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Interesting...
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.