Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Display/UI (Windows)

Quicken Windows 2017: Add user selectable color palette options (27 Legacy Votes)

UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Display/UI (Windows)
The color palette used for displaying graphs in Quicken 2017 is, IMHO, a rather garish pastel choice of colors. For example, pink, turquoise, strawberry, etc.

I'd rather see more primary colors like red, blue, green, yellow, etc.

How about making it possible for the user to select between two or more color palettes? Or how about making the individual colors user-selectable?
I'd love to see that in a future version of Quicken.
0 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

This idea has been implemented. If there are other ideas related to color palette in the product, please post a new idea thread.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Oh god yes please!
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • dranobobdranobob Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It looks like they chose the current trend of a flat color palette.  I'm probably in the minority, because I like it :D
  • bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I would love to see user-selectable color palettes!  The colors in 2017 are way too bright!
  • Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    I don't like the existing color palette, and also I'd recommend changing the color sequence in the balances graph in the 'Bill and Income Reminders' window of the 'Home' page.  On my screen there is almost no difference between the red stripe and the orange stripe that are right next to each other.  Interlace contrasting colors, please, so that the different account balances stand out from each other.
  • Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Just upgraded, first thing I noticed was a BRIGHT RED bar graph staring me in the face.  In financial terms RED is bad....
  • Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    This is not only a case of aesthetics, the brightness of many of the color backgrounds create contrast ratios which are hard to read.
  • Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    The font size & color palette options in Quicken Home & Business 2017 are woefully lacking. Customer Service shifts the blame on Microsoft.  A fitting motto for Quicken would be "The buck stops there!" 
  • Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    An absolutely disgusting design and one the makes tools like the Calendar Account Bar virtually USELESS.

I'm gonna call the baby ugly: Quicken designers, 2017 is not an upgrade, it is a capability minimizer.
  • rlcovrlcov Member
    edited July 2017
    Please provide font size and color palette options............
  • Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    rlcov said:

Please provide font size and color palette options............

To have your vote counted, be sure to click on the Vote button at the top of this post.
  • Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    A defect that needs to be corrected immediately.  Give users a choice of colors during setup.
  • Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't understand why the colors are so hard to change. This is a feature that applications have had for decades. I just upgraded to 2017 and my graphs are unreadable. I have two indistinguishable reds stacked on top of each other so I can't see their individual amounts. Out of all of the colors that are available in the visible spectrum, how is it that the example above has 3 shades of red, 2 of green, 1 of blue, and 1 orange? I'd much rather have distinct colors so I can see my information than something that's aesthetically pleasing for some fashion designer somewhere. It's fine if you want to default them to these colors, but please let us override them!
  • Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Just Upgraded from 2010 to 2017 and can't stand the look.  ready to send it back.
  • Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Must change the colors on the. Lifetime planner!!!!!!!
  • Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike S said:

You may want to go to your profile and change your displayed name to something other than your email.

This is a public forum and you probably don't want your email available.

• Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike S said:

Annnnnnd - cue the drumroll - R4 just came out and guess what?

NO REPAIR OF THIS ISSUE!  WE STILL HAVE WORTHLESS GRAPHS!
  • Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    mshiggins said:

Oh god yes please!

I'll second that! - Transactions tend to blend together in the register because of the washed-out highlighting of the first line of each transaction.
  • Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I agree with this; every time I  sign in I am turned off. I would love the ability to at least mute or darken the colors. . .
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled can we change background color 2017 windows soon.

my upgrade to 2017 is having many issues, one issue it the background and font colors. i have a vestibular issue and cant stare at a pc for sessions longer then 15 to 20 minutes, i was able to deal with the 2014 colors when i became sick a couple years ago, but the 2017 version is unbearable. i cant last longer then 5 minutes and i get sick,dizzy and disorientated, along with pounding headaches. since my data dating back to 2007 is in quicken, i really have no other option but to use it. how do we convince them to consider adding a feature in a future update to have the ability to change the colors? thanks.   
  • Rollin HillRollin Hill Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken 2017 Color Scheme - Give Me Back 2016 Scheme.

I just migrated from 2016 Deluxe to 2017 Deluxe and am wishing I had not.  The new color scheme is miserable! Give me the option to keep the settings I had in 2016 and earlier. 

This has been one of the worst migrations with Quicken that I have ever gone through.  First when it installed it would not let me in because it did not like my online password but would not let me change it.  It took around 45 minutes on the phone with support to get it resolved by giving up and creating a new account.

Then the fonts on my high res monitor on Windows 10 were really screwed up.  I finally found a thread that had me go into the compatibility properties of the Quicken icon and make changes.  This is a first!  

Now I have a color scheme that I do not like in any form or fashion but cannot change other than to shift a few colors around.  I have used Quicken since the 1990s and this is the worst I have encountered.  Give me the options to go back to the type of scheme I used in Quicken 2016.
  • darbusadarbusa Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I just upgraded to QHB 2017 and agree the color palate is horrible. I can not use as is so I am rolling back to 2016. When you fix this big design mistake let me know so I can move to 2017 again.
  • Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I had also upgraded to 2017 wen it first came out. I had to uninstall it it & go back to 2016. Every so often I'll reinstall 2017 to see if the problem ever gets fixed to no avail. I just uninstall it & use 2016. It baffling why a company would make things more difficult to look at without eye strain.
  • AlAl Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You would think after 8 months and many complaints and comments Quicken would have brought back the palette schemes. This should be an easy update for the Quicken team since the programming already exists in prior versions. I really don't understand their logic!
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    It's not about logic. It's about a lack of interest in customer service!
  • Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    jefftom1 said:

I don't like the existing color palette, and also I'd recommend changing the color sequence in the balances graph in the 'Bill and Income Reminders' window of the 'Home' page.  On my screen there is almost no difference between the red stripe and the orange stripe that are right next to each other.  Interlace contrasting colors, please, so that the different account balances stand out from each other.

I hate all of the pastels that are being used everywhere.  Bring back the what I refer to as primary colors RED, BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, ORANGE and BLACK.  Also, get rid of all of the lightening of fonts and everything else so that you can barely see it. They don't have to use the tools that Microsoft gives, they can create their own or purchase someone elses to design better user interfaces.  I know because I've been a user interface developer.
  • Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Timothy said:

Just upgraded, first thing I noticed was a BRIGHT RED bar graph staring me in the face.  In financial terms RED is bad....

At leas you can see it.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    mshiggins said:

Oh god yes please!

[I'm commenting here only so that it gets posted near the top of this entire message thread and not buried somewhere down near the bottom ... for better visibility to the programmers]

There is a bug in the color scheme. Look at the image I posted.
    The 2nd and 3rd accounts listed (both named "E*") use what appears to my eyes to be the exact same color, a strawberry red. That makes it impossible to see which portion of the strawberry red bar graph reflects each these accounts.

Hello, programmers ... This needs to be fixed!!!

• Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Older people have a problem seeing lighter colors and apparently these coders don't understand that because they're young.  They need to design for ALL of their users.  These lighter pastels might look good to an art student, but they're not good for us older users.  Bring back the darker colors.  Just because it's the fad for Microsoft, doesn't mean that Quicken needs to go along with it.  It seems that everything is using these pastels and lighter colors, even the developer tools.  No one that I know likes this and we hope that things will change.  Quicken needs to bring back the user interface like it was many iterations ago where it was bold and useful and even looked nice.  Now it looks like someone threw a dirty dishrag over the screen.
  • Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    mshiggins said:

Oh god yes please!

I worked with a programmer who was color blind to certain colors.  When he designed screens that looked excellent to him, looked like crap to other normal color vision people.  As a result he had all of his color schemes reviewed by us normal color vision coders.
  • Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I've just installed the 2017 version and I'm verry dispointed of this basic feature. Please fix this !
    I'm a Quicken user since the late 80's...
This discussion has been closed.