Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to enter Redemption info correctly

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am still trying to find out how to enter a preferred stock/bond/whatever into my Premier 2014 records. I want to make sure that the info is Tax ready!

Comments

• allenboyle
    allenboyle Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you download, it would be automatic.  Otherwise it is like any other instrument enter cost and date of purchase.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Help! (Quicken for Windows)

If you're unsure on
    how to do something, you can find more information about a specific task,
    function, feature or report in Quicken Help.

To access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or
    click Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a yellow button with a question mark. Click
    it to get view - specific help.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FOLLOWING UP.....I cannot believe that, in trying to meet the stroke limit, I actually removed the word "Redemption"..the whole reason for the inquiry! 
    The problem that I cannot get an answer to should be "How do I enter the REDEMPTION for one of my stocks? 
    Will entering the action as a SALE and then under Miscellaneous set up a category for REDEMPTION??
    Q seems to have almost every other possible category and I want to make sure that the tax info is in the right place.  Think I,m over-thinking it?.  Thanks again..AJ
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In the investment account register click the "Enter Transaction" button.
    Select transaction type: For all types of securities except Bonds, use the Sell - Shares sold type.
    For Bonds select Bond sold instead.

Don't worry about categorizing these types of transactions. Quicken automatically assigns certain built in categories for you.

The only place where you have to tell Quicken explicitly about a category is when you record Income (Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)) or Expenses (Miscellaneous Expense) that do not fall into certain predefined types: Dividend, Interest, Cap Gain, etc.

Whenever recording a Buy or Sell do be sure to let Quicken calculate the price per share. Enter number of shares, commission and total amount. Number of shares and total amount must match or your account will never reconcile properly.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

Select transaction type: For all types of securities except Bonds, use the Sell - Shares sold type.

Don't worry about categorizing these types of transactions. Quicken automatically assigns certain built in categories for you.

The only place where you have to tell Quicken explicitly about a category is when you record Income (Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)) or Expenses (Miscellaneous Expense) that do not fall into certain predefined types: Dividend, Interest, Cap Gain, etc.

Whenever recording a Buy or Sell do be sure to let Quicken calculate the price per share. Enter number of shares, commission and total amount. Number of shares and total amount must match or your account will never reconcile properly.

@ukr:  I do not believe QW2014 has a Bonds Sold function.  (It does have a Bonds Bought function.)  Sell Shares is the correct choice when a bond is called, redeemed or matured.  

The OP and others should pay attention to the quantity of "shares" being sold.  Because bonds are bought (and sold) in typically $1000 increments but priced on $100 par values, buying or selling a $1000 bond (real world face value) is buying or selling 10 "shares" of that bond prices at $100 / "share".  
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

Thanks for the hint, q.lurker.
    I skipped class and remained on QW 2013 until last week when I finally upgraded to QW 2017.

Bond pricing and data entry is a mystery to me which I have so far avoided like placeholders.
    ;-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    From aj....didn't i mention that it wasn't a bond...they "redeemed" preferred stock!

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    AJ said:

From aj....didn't i mention that it wasn't a bond...they "redeemed" preferred stock!

@AJ:  You mentioned that it was about "a preferred stock/bond/whatever".  We cannot be any more specific than your data.  

So in what fashion did they "redeem" your preferred shares?  They might have given you cash for them (Sell Shares) or they might have converted them into common shares (Corporate Acquisition), or maybe some combination (more difficult), or maybe something else we are not thinking of.  
This discussion has been closed.