Entering investment transactions by ticker symbol

I am manually tracking investment holdings in a Betterment account because there is no import capability between Betterment and Quicken. All of the securities owned in the Betterment account are already holdings tracked in Quicken. Every month, more of those same securities are purchased within the Betterment account from the account's cash balance.

The Betterment statements confirming each security transaction only shows the ticker symbol. It does not show the security name. When I enter a new transaction in Quicken and enter the ticker symbol from the statement, Quicken insists on treating this like it's a newly entered security. It shows me the matching securities for that symbol from an online lookup, goes through an online "Quicken Status Update" then shows me the name of the new security and tells me it is adding that security to Quicken.  It does this for every single security despite already tracking every single one of them. A new transaction entry process that should take 10 seconds instead takes 1 minute each due to the multiple steps and online lookups involved.

How can Quicken not be sophisticated enough to directly accept a ticker symbol in the "new transaction" workflow? It only accepts security names? Type in Vanguard and it'll show you a huge list of options that you have to hunt through and select. But type in the uniquely identifiable ticker symbol and Quicken doesn't know it's already tracking that security? How can it not prefer to receive the clear and unambiguous ticket symbol in the new transaction workflow?

0 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• K.O. (Win-Premier)K.O. (Win-Premier) SuperUser
    edited December 2017
    Fully agree.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    For the securities I need to process by ticker symbol, I updated the security name to start with the ticker symbol. Works great.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited December 2017
    It doesn't overwrite the security name every time it does an online update of the price?
  • davidmyyehdavidmyyeh Member
    edited November 2016
    I also rename the security name to start with the ticker.

Here's what I hate about adding new securities: it AUTOMATICALLY puts it into my watch list. No checkbox to uncheck if I don't want it in my watch list (this used to be in earlier versions of Quicken, but now it FORCES us to put it into the watch list).

And if I wanted to take it OFF the watch list? I have to go to the securities list (ctrl-Y) and then find it to uncheck it. I have over 10 years' worth of securities as an active trader, and there's no easy way for me to find it just by scrolling.  It would be great if I could just uncheck from watch list straight from the "edit security" window.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser
    edited May 2018
    @Jeff Carpenter: No. There is no overwrite of the security name. There is no requirement that the name of the security in Quicken match any other system's naming.

@davidmyyeh: Neither of your comments in the two posts I have seen have been directly relevant to the asked question. I suggest you start your own problem-type question to keep your issue properly focused and addressable.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited December 2016

It doesn't overwrite the security name every time it does an online update of the price?

No. It doesn't overwrite the security name each time I do an update.

What Quicken year version are you using?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited November 2016

I'm using 2017
    edited November 2016

OK ... will jump in here with a couple thoughts.

If you're not downloading from your broker then Quicken shouldn't be asking you about new securities so I'm a bit confused.

For example, you have a security held in your betterment account.  Lets call it ABC Security with ticker ABC.  You have this security in security list named "ABC - ABC Security" (i.e. Ticker - Security Name).  When you go to enter a new transaction in your betterment account you type in ABC in the security field and the security "ABC - ABC Security" should show in the list.  You choose that security and enter the rest of the info (i.e. qty, share price, commission, etc).

Is this what you're doing?  When does Quicken ask to enter a new security?  Are you putting a different security in for each transaction?
  • edited November 2016

It doesn't ask you to set up a new security IF you do the workaround of putting the ticker as the first thing in the security name, then type that ticker when you add a transaction. Everything is treated as a new security if you type in the security's actual name w/o doing the ticker workaround.

Quicken has a separate ticker field for each security. It makes no sense that you can't enter a new transaction by entering this ticker symbol. Having to edit a bunch of securities to manually add the ticker symbol to the security name is clunky and unnecessary. It makes you wonder if the developers actually use the product they're designing.
    edited November 2016

OK ... so I don't disagree with you on the issue of Quicken should key off the ticker symbol (or at least when doing the look up it should look in both the name field and ticker field) and it shouldn't only look at the first characters but instead should function like the category look up which looks for the string in any part of the description.  

But to the original post if when entering a transaction you enter the beginning few characters of the Security Name as you have the Security Name stored (with or without the ticker symbol as the first few characters) Quicken will not ask you if its a new security.

And yes its a pain, but I personally just went back and edited around 500 securities to put the ticker symbol in front of the name so I understand the challenge this creates.
  • edited November 2016

You're assuming that the first few characters of the security name (when not using the ticker) are unique enough to be unique. In my case I've got to go out 20+ characters before the official security name is unique. It's a horrible UX.
    edited November 2016

Yep ... that's one of the reasons why I took the time to edit the securities. Especially since in the transaction form (i.e. not the register) the lookup field isn't long enough to see the entire security name.

I'm hopeful that Quicken (under new ownership) may take a look at investing functionality and make some enhancements. We know it desperately needs it.