'FIX' for LA2261 Problem

Found a workaround for LA2261 Issue - created a new account. Uninstalled the old account and signed up for a new account. Deleted the old backup utility and reinstalled it again. Set everything up again as if I were a new user and it worked just fine from within the Quicken program

I am running Quicken Home and Business 2016 on Windows Parallel on a Mac but don't why this wouldn't work for all versions. Got the idea from an online support person who had done it with other people. Now I just have to cancel the old account.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for posting a solution to this issue.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited November 2016
    Exactly what I need!  I need the mechanics of how to do this.  How do you uninstall old account and  delete old backup utility?  Please advise.
  • Peter PolackPeter Polack Member
    edited November 2016
    Control panel>>>Uninstall program>>>Uninstall [Quicken] Online Backup>>Restart Windows

Then open Quicken and open your file

Click on Backup file>>Online backup. Now it will give you two options as links
    1) Learn more...
    2) I already have an account

Click on Learn more... as if you are a new user

This will take you to a web page where you can sign up for a new Online Backup account (with a 30-day free trial!)

**Remember to write down the new account number and password** - you will need it in a minute

Download the software

Open as Administrator (right-click on the icon and choose Open as administrator or Run as administrator)

Online Backup will install

Go back to Quicken (I don't remember if I had to relaunch it - I don't think so(

No click on Backup - a box will pop up asking you for your new account number and password

Backup will commence - presto!
  • SuzanneSuzanne Member
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for the detail, I have the additional problem of logging into the Quicken On-Line back up account site and getting a message that my payment never went through. It did in June of 2016 and back-up worked until recently. Will this be a problem if i uninstall and re-install?
    edited January 2017
    I paid for the upgrade to the 10GB before I went through all of this. When I called support they said the charge never went through. Maybe they have had so many people complain that they are not letting those through. As for your specific issue, I really don't know. When you uninstall and reinstall you are creating a whole new account and starting over. So you will need to cancel the old account anyway.
  • John AdamsJohn Adams Member
    edited December 2016

I paid for the upgrade to the 10GB before I went through all of this. When I called support they said the charge never went through. Maybe they have had so many people complain that they are not letting those through. As for your specific issue, I really don't know. When you uninstall and reinstall you are creating a whole new account and starting over. So you will need to cancel the old account anyway.

Thanks Peter - did you need 10 GB or would your old account have been sufficient?  I'm not a happy camper to have paid $50 when I was running 2015 - now with 2017 I'm getting the dreaded error code.  My file is 2/3rds of the 1 GB I signed up and paid for.  I cannot understand why Quicken has not come forward with a fix - unless they don't own online backup - at which point they are being dishonest.
    edited November 2016

No just the regular 1GB account. I had already upgraded to 10GB on the old account as I was instructed to do but obviously that was not the problem. Curiously, when I cancelled the old account I had never been charged for the 10GB upgrade. I'm sure the charge was processed. maybe they realize the problem is on them? And one of their own techs told me to create the new account as the fix. So I don't know why they don't disseminate this information.
  • KingofsquidKingofsquid Member
    edited October 2018
    By setting up a new backup account, aren't you in effect paying twice? Once for the old account -- at least for the months remaining -- and again for the new account (after the 30-day free period). Seems this "fix" generates more revenue for Quicken.
  • John AdamsJohn Adams Member
    edited February 2017
    My feeling exactly. I'm waiting for a fix or I will initiate a new account closer to the expiration of my current account. Mean time backing up to a thumb drive works just fine. But perhaps I'll like the thumb drive better and will not renew the on-line backup. Quicken's loss. Somewhere I thought I read Quicken does not own the Online Backup program - which might explain the reason for not forthcoming with a fix.
  • QuickenUserDCQuickenUserDC Member
    edited December 2016

My feeling exactly. I'm waiting for a fix or I will initiate a new account closer to the expiration of my current account. Mean time backing up to a thumb drive works just fine. But perhaps I'll like the thumb drive better and will not renew the on-line backup. Quicken's loss. Somewhere I thought I read Quicken does not own the Online Backup program - which might explain the reason for not forthcoming with a fix.

Correct. Quicken Online Backup (QOB) is a third party application with a relationship with Quicken, Inc.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    OK here is the full information on this as I now understand it.

There are basically three ways one might use this service.
    1. Through Quicken, which uses an API given to them by the third party.
    2. Program installed on desktop, also supplied by third party.
    3. Third party website interface.
    When you go through #2 and #3 these are ignoring your limit for disk space and allowing the backup even though you have in fact exceeded your limit.  Bare in mind that multiple copies (history of your QDF file) and other files can be backed up so it isn't a direct comparison of how big your QDF file is to how much space you are allowed.  There should be tools to prune the space, but I in fact don't use the service or know for sure if such tools exist.

On #1 this API does enforce the space limit, and there is no way to bypass it.
    This is why Quicken is reporting that you have exceeded your limit, because in fact you have.

I would have to guess that the reason the suggested fix works, is because when you create a new user account you have basically "purged" the history of your QDF file, and maybe extra files that got backed up.

BTW the way I understand this service is that it is basically a "differential backup".  Meaning first it backs up the whole QDF file, and then from then on backs up only what has changed from then on.
    This allows it to pull back any version of the file without the "cost" of using the full amount of disk space for each copy.
    edited November 2016

By setting up a new backup account, aren't you in effect paying twice? Once for the old account -- at least for the months remaining -- and again for the new account (after the 30-day free period). Seems this "fix" generates more revenue for Quicken.

After you set up the new account, you cancel the old one and request a refund. In my case I was never charged for the upgraded account. You'll have to decide if it is worth the few months you had left on your old account if it was already paid up. After 3 months of dealing with this, it was worth it
  • Karen BrownKaren Brown Member
    edited November 2016

I did this too but unfortunately, I ran into the error again just today.  Quicken says "they are working on it" but I see posts from last year and the problem still exists!!
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016

If you search a site like this one for a common problem you are most likely going to hit some post that someone entered years ago.  That doesn't mean that the problem is the same one.

But yes this problem has been going on for a few months, but not years.
  • edited January 2017

Is it still working?  Someone on another thread said they had tech support do this for them but after 5 backups they were getting the same error.
This discussion has been closed.