QWin: Need a feature to customize color scheme (75 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    have been a user forever and 2017 has worst colors ever
    not just an aesthetic issue but much harder to read
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

I have been a Quicken user since
    the days of DOS.  Prior to Quicken 2017,
    I had Quicken 2014.  As an investor, I’m
    forced to purchase a new version every 3 years as that is the only way to
    continue to download stock prices.  I was
    content with Q2014 and wouldn’t even mind paying a fee (even if it was the same
    price as purchasing a new version) to be able to download stock info rather
    than being forced to upgrade.

As an elderly person with old eyes, I find the color
    scheme in Q2017 worse than annoying. 
    However, after installing the updates to Q2017, the colors have become
    PAINFUL!!!   So painful that it has left
    me with an awful headache and I’ve decided to reverse the updates.  So, unless you offer an option to adjust the
    colors and the brightness of the colors, I’m forced to use a buggy product.

Please don’t wait to “fix” this with your Q2018 version.  Mute the colors at the very least.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Jill said:

I have been a Quicken user since
    the days of DOS.  Prior to Quicken 2017,
    I had Quicken 2014.  As an investor, I’m
    forced to purchase a new version every 3 years as that is the only way to
    continue to download stock prices.  I was
    content with Q2014 and wouldn’t even mind paying a fee (even if it was the same
    price as purchasing a new version) to be able to download stock info rather
    than being forced to upgrade.

As an elderly person with old eyes, I find the color
    scheme in Q2017 worse than annoying. 
    However, after installing the updates to Q2017, the colors have become
    PAINFUL!!!   So painful that it has left
    me with an awful headache and I’ve decided to reverse the updates.  So, unless you offer an option to adjust the
    colors and the brightness of the colors, I’m forced to use a buggy product.

Please don’t wait to “fix” this with your Q2018 version.  Mute the colors at the very least.

I agree. But I very much doubt Quicken will "fix" this in QW2017. To them, it's "as designed."

If you purchased QW2017 within the last 60 days, you can return it and get QW2016, which has the old color scheme. (Unless you're in Canada, where the limit is 30 days. Don't ask me why.) I personally am sticking with '16 after having tried '17.

The data files are compatible between '16 and '17, and the bug levels are similar. Of course, you'd lose a year of downloading. Maybe that's worth it to you, and maybe you'll keep hope that the colors will turn out better in a later version.

https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms-and-Conditions-For-Exchanging-Returning-or-Refunding-Quicken-P...
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Quicken Developers:  I'm sure the young people like the colors with 2017, but unless you provide a color customization option for graphs and bar charts, I'll be returning it and reverting back to 2016.

I can't even discern one bank account from another on the Calendar.  Did anyone look at that when choosing colors?

The bright white background is killing my eyes.  The pop ups are so big, I can't see the bottom or top of the window to close them. 
    I see NO improvement.
    Please send a fix!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    The monotone icons on the Account Bar are a giant step backward.  Horrible use of color throughout Quicken 2017.  I've been using Quicken since 1998, and this update has the worst look and feel of any of them.  Boo. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Hi All,
    Thank you for adding and voting on this issue.  I wanted to let you know that this is currently marked as "Not Planned" - this doesn't mean that this won't happen in the future, but it's not on the product plan within the next several product updates.  

Please continue to vote and add your feedback here for a potential update in the future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

@[Quicken Kathryn], no doubt that Quicken has a priority list of features and is
    working through these in priority order to increase / retain their user
    base. I would greatly encourage you to work on prioritizing this.

The
    Quicken team managed to change the colors to what they are now (first
    2014 for the debt chart, 2017 for the bill charts) - the community is asking to get these changed or at least changed back?

If it's not Planned maybe
    you can shed some light on what _is_ planned that's standing in the way
    of rectifying this issue. Please try to get the color scheme addressed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    I also hate the new look of 2017 Home & Business. Just upgraded from 2015 which had a colored toolbar and crisp lettering. 2017 has a blurry blah look. I want my crisp look back badly!!! Patch me up Scotty!
  • buddhababe
    buddhababe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I hated it so much I returned it. So awful. I hope they can fix this. The colors are the worst!
  • buddhababe
    buddhababe Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Hi All,
    Thank you for adding and voting on this issue.  I wanted to let you know that this is currently marked as "Not Planned" - this doesn't mean that this won't happen in the future, but it's not on the product plan within the next several product updates.  

Please continue to vote and add your feedback here for a potential update in the future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I am going to add my voice to this issue. The colors are terrible. I know others on Amazon are complaining. What does it take to provide an option for a 'classic view' or at least a broader palette range for those of us who do not want pastels and neons?
  • darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Agree with all prior comments. I am rolling back to 2016 until this travesty is fixed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    This is pretty much the Windows standard nowadays.

If you use Windows 10, they use the same "flat" look with blah colors.

And now, even macOS 10.12 (Sierra and High Sierra) have adopted the same "blah" look.

I run Quicken 2016 and 2017.  After using 2017 for a while, I actually prefer it over the "cartoonish" Quicken 2016.

But, that's just me. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I, too, find the color scheme hard on the eyes. In addition the font size and color in the Account Bar and the Bill and Income Reminders on my 24-inch monitor is too small, and there is insufficient contrast.
  • gwwilk
    gwwilk Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

And now, even macOS 10.12 (Sierra and High Sierra) have adopted the same "blah" look.

I run Quicken 2016 and 2017.  After using 2017 for a while, I actually prefer it over the "cartoonish" Quicken 2016.

But, that's just me. 

With an avatar like that and over 150,000 brownie points, you complain of the colorful icons and schemes in qw2016 as being cartoonish?  Wow!

Colors are informative and provide valuable cues as to what we're seeing.  Eliminate colors and you're left with what is essentially a text field (if enabled) with a black-and-white blob on the toolbar.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

You obviously have not read previous threads on this subject. It's not the colors, but the lack of contrast BETWEEN colors that make using the graphs such as the Calendar bar graph virtually impossible.

I'm obviously not the only tactless person on this thread...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

I'm guessing you all hate Windows 10 as well...because Quicken 2017 pretty much mimics the Windows 10 color scheme and flat look.

I didn't say YOU have to like it.  I said that I prefer it over the busy look of Quicken 2016.  

To each it's own.  If you don't like it...I respect your opinion. 

Now move on. 
  • gwwilk
    gwwilk Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

I still prefer Win7, but have several computers running Win10.  There's no comparison between the Win10 desktop I'm using now and the blah QW2017 Premier when I open it here.  I will admit I learned how to get rid of the 'blahs' in Win10, but no such options exist in QW 2017 which is the main source of complaints here.

No, you don't get to decide when I do or don't ignore this thread.  I do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

Well, your complaint was heard.  But now you're just acting like a petulant child stomping your foot to get your own way.

There is no way to bring back the cartoonish GUI of previous Quicken versions.  Quicken 2017 is what you get.  There is no customization for that version, aside from the "color" selection.

If your sole purpose is to come on here and insult me, then fine...mission accomplished.

If you're that unhappy with Quicken 2017's GUI and you absolutely can't tolerate it, then go back and install Quicken 2016.  Your Quicken data is compatible between the two year versions. 

Aside from that, what DO you really expect to accomplish with your posts? 
  • gwwilk
    gwwilk Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

Petulant child? Ad hominem arguments always win the day, don't they?

I AM using QW2016 Premier, not the blink, blink, blinking QW2017 Premier. Nowhere have I found a place to give feedback about QW2017 which I find unsatisfactory on esthetic grounds. Tastes vary, and responsive software developers allow for such.

The one saving grace of QW2017 is the decision to stop arbitrarily rendering the data files 'incompatible' with prior versions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

Nowhere have I found a place to give feedback about QW2017 which I find unsatisfactory on esthetic grounds.

You have...already.  Short of that, email the president of Quicken.

Here's the link:

https://www.quicken.com/about-us/team
  • buddhababe
    buddhababe Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    gmalis1 said:

But, that's just me. 

I sent him a letter about the UX issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Quicken Developers:  I'm sure the young people like the colors with 2017, but unless you provide a color customization option for graphs and bar charts, I'll be returning it and reverting back to 2016.

I can't even discern one bank account from another on the Calendar.  Did anyone look at that when choosing colors?

I reverted back to 2016, quicken when it was still owned by Intuit. It's great again.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017
    Ditto to everything above.  The new "default" color scheme is horrible.  It's WAY TOO BRIGHT.  Come on Quicken, not everyone has 20/20 vision and these bright colors are horrible on the eyes.  This needs to be changed.  I wish I hadn't upgraded.  Grrrr.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I've been using Quicken since 1993.  It's sad to see the program become what I term a lower class program.  I've been paying bills online longer than most.  I'm 62 ... and I've been using the pay bills online feature almost 25 years.  I was forced to upgrade from 2015 to 2017 to continue to use with my bank.  The 2017 version was a big disappointment. Kathryn, if you are not listening to 25+-year-old users then your company will go down soon. ;(  I will not buy 2018 or any future upgrade unless it is better than this!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I reverted to 2016 since the continuous errors and glitches in the program were not being fixed. Intuit sold quicken, the last version produced by Intuit is 2016.
  • John Chirite
    John Chirite Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I'm glad I read these comments. I was going to purchase 2017 today but will stay with 2016 until I see evidence the color situation has been addressed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Just adding my vote in agreeing that the Quicken 2017 colors are terrible. I'm thinking about returning to 2016. I don't feel I gained anything by going to 2017, in fact I feel I lost features, including the downloading of transactions. Much better and error free in 2016. Doesn't work as smoothly or error free in 2017. I certainly will not even consider going to Quicken 2018. Sure hope HIG listens to users better than Intuit did in the last couple years.
  • Hector Curiel
    Hector Curiel Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I agree and unfortunately it continues with 2018.  The color pallette is horrible. They should at least allow us to define our own colors somehow. 
  • buddhababe
    buddhababe Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I don’t understand why they aren’t listening to customers. It’s so awful
  • Gary
    Gary Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have been using Quicken for about 30 years!!! I upgraded last month to 2018 SUBSCRIPTION model (cause I have no other choice! if i want to use this product).

From a usability standpoint, IMO, Quicken 2018 has officially taken a significant step backwards, 

To name a few specifics:
    - there are no more colorful icons so they all look alike at quick glance;
    - The Menu blends together - give us some darn | menu |  Item | separators. 
    - The check registry uses hard to read fonts and the font sizes are difficult to read on a 4K monitor.

Someone  (WHO IS ACTUALLY A SOMEBODY) at QUICKEN should read books about user experience engineering, or "Dont' Make Me Think!". Management should fire the responsible party and hire someone with design skills! BETTER YET, find some people and watch them in a lab to see how much time they waste with the so-called refreshed interface!

To me this 2018  "Refreshed User Interface" is a "Hard To Use Interface" that Quicken designers took too little time to create. In other words, it looks VERY incomplete. I've yet to discover removed or changed features that was accustomed to using.

But what other alternatives do we have???? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Gary said:

I have been using Quicken for about 30 years!!! I upgraded last month to 2018 SUBSCRIPTION model (cause I have no other choice! if i want to use this product).

From a usability standpoint, IMO, Quicken 2018 has officially taken a significant step backwards, 

To name a few specifics:
    - there are no more colorful icons so they all look alike at quick glance;
    - The Menu blends together - give us some darn | menu |  Item | separators. 
    - The check registry uses hard to read fonts and the font sizes are difficult to read on a 4K monitor.

Someone  (WHO IS ACTUALLY A SOMEBODY) at QUICKEN should read books about user experience engineering, or "Dont' Make Me Think!". Management should fire the responsible party and hire someone with design skills! BETTER YET, find some people and watch them in a lab to see how much time they waste with the so-called refreshed interface!

To me this 2018  "Refreshed User Interface" is a "Hard To Use Interface" that Quicken designers took too little time to create. In other words, it looks VERY incomplete. I've yet to discover removed or changed features that was accustomed to using.

But what other alternatives do we have???? 

I reverted to 2016 because of my dissatisfaction with quicken 2017. This worked fine until an update came along that changed it to work like the 2017. I'm disgusted. I purchased this edition prior to their ownership, it's mine.

I tried a couple other programs but nothing was like the old quicken. I changed to QuickBooks since I use that program in my business and am a certified pro advisor. Now, things are as they should be, I can see the register well, and no more direct connect issues forced by the new owners of quicken.

Moneydance didn't work for me at all.
This discussion has been closed.