Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Can I tag a 401k contribution in a paycheck?

I understand how to tag other types of transactions within a paycheck (by entering CategoryName/TagName in the category field) but 401k contributions don't allow a user defined category (which is fine).  I'd still like to tag those transactions for report purposes.  How can I do that?

Using Quicken Deluxe 2016 ~ Thanks!

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I'm not sure I understand.

You can specify your 401(k) contribution in the Paycheck wizard, typically as a transfer to your 401(k) account. That categorizes your 401(k) contributions.

Are you also wanting to add a tag? Have you tried typing /YourTag after the transfer account?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Using the Paycheck wizard, one can not tag the 401k contribution - the transfer category is not accessible for editing.
    You can tag the transafer after the fact. Go to the XIn transaction in the 401k account and edit - you can append the tag here.
    Doable - but not convenient :<(
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Even without tagging a 401(k) contribution or doing anything else special to the paycheck transactions ...
    You should be able to see these contributions in, for example, the Tax Summary Report as transfers to the 401(k) account.
    In Category Reports, e.g., the Itemized Categories report, you can also see your contributions in the Transfers section under the 401(k) account name.
    In Budget views you can explicitly add "Transfers to 401(k) account" as a category to budget.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks but I don't want just to "see" my 401K contributions, I want to "manage" them, via budgeting.  Why isn't there a predefined 401k or employer matching contribution to 401k category...it's a no-brainer?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    mshiggins said:

I'm not sure I understand.

You can specify your 401(k) contribution in the Paycheck wizard, typically as a transfer to your 401(k) account. That categorizes your 401(k) contributions.

Are you also wanting to add a tag? Have you tried typing /YourTag after the transfer account?

I am trying to budget my 401k contribution and my employer matching contribution using the budgeting feature, seems like there should be a prescribed category for 401k income and spend (contribution).

This discussion has been closed.