Just installed R3 and it has totally hosed the gui

Opened Quicken 2017 Home & Business this morning and it downloaded R3 patch 26.1.3.4.  Running Windows 10.

Once installed, the font enlarged on the main screen and the investment screen and I only see about half of what I saw before.  Now I have to use horizontal and vertical scroll bars instead of  seeing everything on a single screen.  The opposite happened on the transaction registers.  The font is so small now that they're completely unreadable.

Short of uninstalling and doing a complete reinstall, how can I revert back to the previous version?

Thanks.

Comments

• Bob BernsteinBob Bernstein Member
    edited February 2017
    Same problem here - why do they do that? Have to resize all my account registers!
    Its telling me to use a higher resolution and I'm using the highest resolution which is much more than they recommend!
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    "Short of uninstalling and doing a complete reinstall, how can I revert back to the previous version?"

You can't.  There's no rollback in Q.  You'll need to uninstall and reinstall to revert to R2.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • James AustinJames Austin Member
    edited September 2017
    On this 3840 x 2160 laptop, the application was previously fine. The change in an effort to improve high resolution displays was unsuccessful. Now the application's use-quality is awful.

Poor quality font. Blurry menu and navigation icons. The application frame / border is much too large. Went from nice application GUI design and layout to ghetto.
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator
    edited January 11
    Hi all,
    Sorry you're having issues with the visual appearance in Quicken--did you by any chance adjust your settings (either in Quicken or Windows) to change Quicken's appearance before upgrading to R3?  If you revert to standard settings for Quicken, does it appear correctly?

If this doesn't correct the issue, could you let us know what screen resolution you're currently using?  Do you have dual monitors?

Thank you for your help,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • edited December 2016
    I have the same issue. All I did was download the most recent update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe. The screen looked fine before and now it looks awful. Even if I could move to a higher resolution, it would make the letters in every other app smaller. Not acceptable. Seriously, did anyone test this update before sending is out?
  • BeeEyeEnGeeOhBeeEyeEnGeeOh Member
    edited May 2017
    This is terrible. My threads got closed about an issue with budgets crashing Quicken 2017 on R2 because R3 got released. I can't update to R3 because Quicken doesn't prompt me to update, and then I find out that R3 breaks Quicken entirely.
  • edited November 2016
    I have the same issue. All I did was download the most recent update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe. The screen looked fine before and now it looks awful. Anyway, I'm already at 1920 X 1080.
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser
    edited February 2017
    Well if it does actually break Quicken entirely, it's good you're not being prompted to update it yet. On the other hand the issues here might not affect you at all, do you use a high resolution display?
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1809
  • Paul RosePaul Rose Member
    edited December 2016
    If I open Quicken (2017), will I have to install R 3?
  • edited November 2016
    And, I'm running the latest update of Windows 10. Your directions for changing resolution are incomplete and the recommended resolution does not work on newer lap tops unless you like black bars on the sides of the screen.
    edited November 2016
    Paul Rose said:

If I open Quicken (2017), will I have to install R 3?

I think they pulled the update because of this issue. I'm not getting prompted for it when I open Quicken.
  • edited January 11
    Seriously, someone screwed up big time. After installing the free update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe, when I start Quicken, I get a pop-up telling me how to change the screen resolution in Windows 7 and Vista. VISTA!!!! Really.
  • edited November 2016

Seriously, someone screwed up big time. After installing the free update to Quicken 2017 Deluxe, when I start Quicken, I get a pop-up telling me how to change the screen resolution in Windows 7 and Vista. VISTA!!!! Really.

You guys have some serious version control problems!!!
  • edited November 2016

Can someone PLEASE tell me if there is a way to uninstall this update?
    edited December 2016

This is terrible. My threads got closed about an issue with budgets crashing Quicken 2017 on R2 because R3 got released. I can't update to R3 because Quicken doesn't prompt me to update, and then I find out that R3 breaks Quicken entirely.

BeeEyeEnGeeOh,
    You won't be prompted to update--this should happen automatically when you perform a One Step Update (go to Help>About Quicken to confirm).  We're investigating the root cause of the visual issues in this thread--
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • edited November 2016
    It's pretty clear that a bunch of obsolete code got compiled into this update. This needs to be fixed immediately.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited December 2016

See my reply to Darren, above.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited November 2016

Yup I've done a One Step Update and it didn't update to R3. I've clicked Help > Check for Updates and it reports I am on the latest version, R2.
    edited December 2016

Hi James,
    Do you have a screenshot of the pop up or a link to the instructions you're seeing?  Did you change your system display settings for Quicken in Windows with previous releases?
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016

Hi all,
    Sorry you're having issues with the visual appearance in Quicken--did you by any chance adjust your settings (either in Quicken or Windows) to change Quicken's appearance before upgrading to R3?  If you revert to standard settings for Quicken, does it appear correctly?

If this doesn't correct the issue, could you let us know what screen resolution you're currently using?  Do you have dual monitors?

Thank you for your help,
    Quicken Kathryn

1280 X 1024 with Windows display at 125%. I always run at 125% to be nice to my aging eyes.  The display appearance and layout in R3 is very much larger and more grainy than R2. It has a 620 X 480 CRT look. Changing Windows display setting to 100% does not help with the grainy appearance. Quicken scaling appearance compared to other applications is still very much larger.

On the positive side, in R2 at 125% display scaling, the Cash Bal column values were not visible because the last 4 column headings did not line up with values under them, getting progressively worse to the right. You had to run at 100% windows scaling and use a magnifying glass if you wanted to read the values under Cash Balance. But, they do line up in R3 at 125%.imageimage
    edited December 2016

Hi BeeEyeEnGeeOh,
    Sorry about that--do you have a screenshot of what you're seeing?  In the meantime, if you go here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch?5 you can find and download the manual patch.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
    edited December 2016

Hi all,

Thank you for your help,
    Quicken Kathryn

Thank you, markus1957!
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • edited November 2016

• edited November 2016

I did not change resolution or settings in Quicken or Windows. I paid to upgrade to Quicken 2017 Deluxe, which, BTW lost more that half of my bill reminders. Today while trying to restore them, Quicken told me there was a free upgrade. After downloading and installing it, I started getting this popup whenever I open Quicken. When I clck OK Quicken opens with large blurry fonts.
    You have a serious configuration management error in this release. You need to figure out what it is and release it as soon as possible.
    Just to repeat, I 'm running the latest version of Windows 10. Yet, I'm getting a pop up window telling me how to change screen resolution in Windows 7 and Vista. 
    edited November 2016

imageimage

One Step Update just performs a regular update of my financial institutions and of the Online stuff. Not the software.

I already installed the R3 update on my test system, which interestingly automatically updated, and didn't experience the display issue some users are reporting. I'm about to manually update my production system.
  • edited November 2016
    Really, why is this pop up still in your code base? Surely your'e not still supporting Windows 7 and Vista. The computers sold with these operating systems have been reposing in the recycling bins for lo these many years.
  • edited December 2016
    It's obvious that Quicken engineering and CM screwed up big time on this update release. But, what's really scary is that there appears to be no Quality Control. Given the comments on this thread it is clear that you did not do a thorough job of testing this code before you told all your users to install it. This time it's the GUI. Who knows what vulnerabilities will be in the next release? 
    edited December 2016

I'm running Win 10 Q17 R3 on 1280 X 1024 monitor and noticed the scaling issue upon upgrading to R3 this morning. I typically run windows scaling at 125% to be easier on my eyes. R3 is not playing nice with windows scaling. When I set all my display settings back to 100% and my graphics adapter to defaults and rebooted, Quicken R3 looks OK at 100% scaling after Clear Type Text calibration. It's just tiny font and hard to read, but about as crisp as this website page. I can reproduce the pop-up if I set windows scaling to 150%. I believe that is because doing so effectively drops the display resolution below Quicken's minimum.
  • JerryJerry Member
    edited May 2017
    Very disappointing. I hate to ask but did the R3 patch at least repair the bug about checking accounts linked to an investment account not showing downloaded transactions?

I'm afraid to install R3 to find out.
    edited December 2016

Hi all,

Thank you for your help,
    Quicken Kathryn

Update- When I set all my display settings back to 100% and my graphics adapter to defaults and rebooted, Quicken R3 looks OK at 100% scaling after Clear Type Text calibration. It's just tiny font and hard to read, but about as crisp as this website page. I can reproduce the low-res pop-up if I set windows scaling to 150%. I believe that is because doing so effectively drops the display resolution below Quicken's minimum.

But Quicken is not behaving as other applications do when display scaling is set to 125%. It appears to be scaling up to a higher value than 125% and/or losing the Clear Type corrections to maintain crispness at the scaled up setting.