Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Medical Out of Network Payments

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
My Health Insurance Company, Premera, does not send my Out of Network Doctors their checks directly, Instead, they send the claim checks to me, in my name, which I deposit into my checking account and then write them a check. How do I enter these transactions? I think I saw mention of creating a different reimbursement account so that I would deposit all checks into that account and then write the checks out of that account so it does not show up as normal income. How do I make sure it does not show up on my spending reports and excluded from taxes?  I am using Quicken 2017

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Morgan,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate answer, please let us know which Quicken 2017 product (QWin or QMac), you are using.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    QWin
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    As long as they reimburse you in full ... ;-)

I would just write a check to my doctor, from my checking account, and categorize it to some "Reimbursable Medical Expenses" Category (which does not have a tax line item assigned).
    When you get a reimbursement check, write a deposit transaction in your checking account register and categorize it to the same "Reimbursable Medical Expenses" category.
    Running a report on transactions this category should show you if you have been reimbursed for every check you wrote.

And, yes, instead of categorizing these transactions, you could create a Cash Account "Reimbursable Medical Expenses".
    Every check you write, every reimbursement you receive is recorded in your checking account and categorized as if it was a transfer to/from the Reimbursable Medical Expenses account.
    Quicken Windows: To make this transaction a transfer, in the Category field just type a "[" (left square bracket) followed by the first few letters of the account name and let Quicken fill in the rest.
    Quicken Mac: Use the Transfer column in your account register to select the transfer-to account name.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Thank you. Very helpful. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I suspect you do not receive full reimbursement out of network, so it is important to capture your out of pocket expenses for tax purposes. So,while I agree with the details above, I would call it out of network medical and track it as deductible medical expenses, because it is just that.
This discussion has been closed.