Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Zoom In on Investing Portfolio Value report (and other Investing reports) excludes Unrealized Gains

Derek
Derek Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Windows Quicken 2017 Home and Business Version R3 Build 26.1.3.4

Quicken Standard Reports, Investing, Portfolio Value report has two problems with the Zoom In feature.

1) If a user zooms in (double clicks) on a particular line item of a Portfolio Value report, the detailed results do not include unrealized gains.  The user needs to Customize the resulting detailed report and check "Include unrealized gains" on the Advanced tab.

I offer that Zoom In on the Portfolio Value report should (by default) include unrealized gains since i) the Portfolio Value report by its nature is inclusive of unrealized gains and ii) the Zoom In detailed report should correlate as closely as possible to the line item on which the user zoomed.  As currently implemented, the user will see that the Zoom In totals shown on the detailed report do not foot with the line item on the Portfolio Value report.

2) The Zoom In detailed report does not initially display the
"Cash+Invest" column, in spite of being selected by default in Show
Columns list on the Display tab.  The user must click on Customize followed
immediately by clicking on OK to see this column.  This defect is also observable in other Quicken Standard Reports, such as Zoom In on Investment Asset Allocation, Investment Income, and EasyAnswer "What are my investments worth?".

I think the standard (no customization) Investment Transactions report is the root cause.  This report defaults to exclude unrealized gains and has the same columnar display problem.  Furthermore, if the user opts to Customize this report before running it, the Show Columns list on the Display tab is completely empty.  The Show Columns list properly appears only after running and then customizing the report.

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    While I can reproduce both issues, I disagree unrealized gains should be included as a default in the zoom as they serve no purpose other than to clutter the transaction report with meaningless price history table based market value adjustments. I would submit the zoom drill down has a primary purpose of producing the cost basis history.

I do agree the column issue in the transaction report should be fixed.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

While I can reproduce both issues, I disagree unrealized gains should be included as a default in the zoom as they serve no purpose other than to clutter the transaction report with meaningless price history table based market value adjustments. I would submit the zoom drill down has a primary purpose of producing the cost basis history.

I kindly ask you to compare the Investing Portfolio Value report Zoom In behavior with that of the EasyAnswer "What am I worth?" (Net Worth) report.

If you Customize the Net Worth report to include unrealized gains (which is the default), then Zoom In correspondingly shows unrealized gains on the detailed report.  If you Customize the Net Worth report to not include unrealized gains, then Zoom In correspondingly does not show any unrealized gains.  This convinced me there is indeed a purpose and good reason to track the state of the "Include unrealized gains" selection as the user drills down.  Furthermore, the treatment of such should be consistent throughout the Quicken program.

Sure, there is (vast) clutter, but understandably Zoom In includes clutter/details.  More importantly, Zoom In should (by default, or until customized) display values that total up and match exactly the line item from which the Zoom In originated.  I am having difficulty convincing myself that initially displaying a mismatching total, even in light of elimination of clutter, is a good idea.

Is there a way to have our cake and eat it too?  I think this goes to how to display _UnrlzdGain "transactions" in any report that itemizes transactions.  Could there be a selection on the Advanced tab of Customize report to roll up unrealized gains (if so included) at the end of the report?  At least the rolled up subtotal would be on the report, you would see all the real transactions in detail, there would not be any clutter, and the final totals would foot.  I don't need this feature though, and I don't like this idea much to boot.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Upon reflection, if the user zooms in on "Cost Basis" column value, give the user details of the cost (i.e., does not include realized gain).  If the user zooms in on "Gain/Loss", show the user only the unrealized gains/losses according to the price history.  If the user zooms in on the "Balance", do both.

I like this.
  • Derek
    Derek Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    markus1957 said, "I would submit the zoom drill down has a primary purpose of producing the cost basis history."

I
    fully agree with you now.  As currently implemented, the Zoom In focus is the
    whole line (it's enclosed in a rectangle upon single click), meaning the
    focus is not one particular number on the line.  I was fixated on wanting
    to see all the details with the Balance figure.  Sorry.  I will be more careful next time.

The issue with the "Cash+Invest" column not appearing stands.  Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.