Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Managing investments different in Quicken 2017 than in Quicken 2003..need help

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I just upgraded to Quicken 2017 from Quicken 2003. In the older program, when I entered a transaction such as recording divident reinvestment income, the program allowed me to enter the amount and the share price, then would calculate the shares transacted. Now it seems I have to enter the amount and shares transacted. The price then calculated comes out in several decimal places and the account total is often off . Is there a way I can use the older method?

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Don't worry about the share price. You have to match the total amount and exact number of shares. The price doesn't matter for anything. And the price changes every day. You might never match the price out to all the decimal places. Close is ok.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    volvogirl said:

Don't worry about the share price. You have to match the total amount and exact number of shares. The price doesn't matter for anything. And the price changes every day. You might never match the price out to all the decimal places. Close is ok.

To follow on with volvogirl's sage advice, you should manage your Quicken data such that the share quantities are presented to a consistent precision - be that 2, 3, or 4 figures right of the decimal point.  When you allow Quicken to calculate the number of shares in the transaction, you are likely do develop values that will not agree with your brokerage statements and may cause later issues with sales and placeholders within Quicken.  Those issues can become difficult to rectify.  Thus, you will be better served by converting your methods to use input share quantities and total costs.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    volvogirl said:

I handle this as follows:
    get out the calculator and compute "dividend / share price."
    COPY the full precision answer from the calculator.
    then select the "Shares" field in Quicken and PASTE the shares amount.

99.9% of the time the account value will still match your online brokerage or mutual fund value (as long as your price history is correct).
    In the other 00.1% of cases, if you are very fastidious you must adjust the shares by a miniscule amount to correct. And you must live with the resulting price/share on the reinvestment shares.
This discussion has been closed.