How do I record a security exchange

I received a notice that a security exchange had taken place between different funds on the same company in one of my investment accounts. I had a total of 1765 shares which were purchased on 3 separate lots of security A and they they were exchanged for 1606.7183 shares of security B. They sold off the decimal portion (.7183) of security B leaving me with 1606 shares of security B. The monthly statement following the exchange shows security B as if there were 3 separate lots with the same original purchase dates as security A. (6/3/2014)
Is there a simple way to just record the exchange or do I need to record it in quicken manually as a sell and then a buy? The one step update from this account seemed to botch things up and I need to manually fix this somehow.

Comments

• psobilopsobilo Member
    edited August 2018
    I can't help with the entries, but you will need to keep track of the buys/sells to establish your cost-basis for taxes.
  • jpgolanjpgolan Member
    edited February 2017
    Like I said, they have the purchase date for the new security listed at the brokerage account as 6/3/14 even though the exchange happened 8/30/16 so the tax side is covered. My real problem is manually entering this in quicken properly.
  • jpgolanjpgolan Member
    edited February 2017
    Can anyone help correcting these entries
  • danny shawdanny shaw Member
    edited December 2018
    I can't, I'm having the same problem

• Rich_MRich_M SuperUser
    edited January 22
    There's a Mutual Fund Conversion transaction in Quicken to exchange all shares from one class to another.  From the way you're describing this it sounds like the transactions that came through the download were inappropriate for this type of transaction.  This is the fault of the FI, not Quicken.

Your best bet is to ignore or delete the transactions from OSU and manually enter the conversion yourself.

I had a 3 for 1 Reverse Stock Split this month and the transactions that came through from the FI were incorrect, so I just deleted them and entered them myself.

Different scenario but same type of problem as yours, again the FI is at fault here.

Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10