Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Manage Accounts and Transactions (Mac)

Ability for Categorization tied to Payee (QuickFill) to be acct dependent (39 Legacy/Merged Votes)

PATPAT Member ✭✭
I track my kids expenses while at college in Quicken.  We visit the same stores, thus when the buy something at Walmart it get catagorized into my expenses.  It would be nice if catagories could be assigned to specific accounts.  Thus their expenses at Walmart (or where ever) could be automatically catagorized separately from mine.

-------------
Be sure to click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count in the blue banner (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

4 votes

Not Planned · Last Updated

Unfortunately, the amount of work this would take means that we won't consider this idea right now.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Tell me, Pat, how is Quicken supposed to know that yesterday's Walmart purchase was for your kids and today's Walmart purchase was for yourself?

The only way to achieve that is by keeping your kids' accounts and transactions completely separate from your own ... but that would require that they have their own separate bank accounts and that you maintain separate Quicken data files.

If everything is commingled in one data file and you pay for their expenses with your credit cards, the only solution is to ensure that you manually enter these transactions into the appropriate account registers using distinct payee names, e.g.,
    Walmart - self
    Walmart - John
    Walmart - Mary
    with appropriate Categories and/or Tags for each.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Tags. What you want to use is tags to keep the expenses properly segregated. Search Quicken Help for Tags.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    How are the transactions getting entered in Quicken? Do you download the credit card transactions or do you manually enter the receipts? Sounds like the kids use your credit card or how do they pay?
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the:You may want to click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas (for Quicken for Mac).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Just saw this because it got "bumped" by smayer97 (even though I have no idea why this has anything to do with the links he wants voted on).

I think I know what Pat would like to achieve, but isn't really going about it the right way.
    What is really needed is renaming rules or memorized payees that can be different depending the account.

Given that the kids are using a different credit card and as such their expenses down load into a different account than Pat's.  If you could have a renaming rule that when importing in "kids credit card account" it changes the payee Walmart - Kids.  From there you can have a memorized payee that puts it in the right category/tag.  When in other account (you would have the default be any other account) it would may be just Walmart or Walmart - mine.  And again that lines you up to use a different memorized payee.

You could do that same thing at the memorized payee level, which might be better because it could then work that way for manual entry.

As in both cases the payee stays at Walmart, and depending on what account it is going in, it picks the different memorized payee.
    edited November 2019

Just saw this because it got "bumped" by smayer97 (even though I have no idea why this has anything to do with the links he wants voted on).

I think I know what Pat would like to achieve, but isn't really going about it the right way.
    What is really needed is renaming rules or memorized payees that can be different depending the account.

Given that the kids are using a different credit card and as such their expenses down load into a different account than Pat's.  If you could have a renaming rule that when importing in "kids credit card account" it changes the payee Walmart - Kids.  From there you can have a memorized payee that puts it in the right category/tag.  When in other account (you would have the default be any other account) it would may be just Walmart or Walmart - mine.  And again that lines you up to use a different memorized payee.

You could do that same thing at the memorized payee level, which might be better because it could then work that way for manual entry.

As in both cases the payee stays at Walmart, and depending on what account it is going in, it picks the different memorized payee.

" I have no idea why this has anything to do with the links he wants voted on...

...What is really needed is renaming rules or memorized payees that can be different depending the account."

I just had similar wording added to the title. And this applies to the links because those are the 2 trigger points for the use of such a features...manual data entry and data downloading. This is how I have helped organize the many related idea posts. Of course, I have been doing this for Quicken for Mac only, and this post was flagged for both Mac and Windows. Hope that makes sense. 

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Yes, this would be a wonderful addition to QMac, something that QWin doesn't do...

The use case I had run into, was entering extra (not a scheduled) credit card payment.  If I enter it from my checking account it automatically set the transfer to the credit card.... but if I enter it from the credit card, it complains that I entered a transfer to the same account...interrupting my entry flow...
  • RCinNJRCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature request: Make autofill of transactions account specific. QM.

I find QMs autofilling of downloaded transactions useful enough that I don't want to disable it. However, I find that it autofills the last information saved in any account and applies it to a different account. For example, if there is a withdrawal from one brokerage account and I change the description to correct an incorrect autofill, this description will be picked up the next time there is a withdrawal from any brokerage account. This makes it much less likely that the autofill will help rather than need to be corrected. 

I think there should also be a way to choose vendors (for example, Costco, Home Depot) and transaction types not to autofill, but that is a separate request.
  • PATPAT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Suggestion to Customize Downloaded Data by Account.

I use Quicken to track both my accounts and those of my children.  When I download income data from banks and brokerage accounts the automatic Catagory assigned is the same for all accounts for that institution.  Since I do not pay my children's taxes with mine, I must then manually change the Catagory for the downloads into their accounts.  A nice feature would be the ability to custom assign the Catagory by account, even though the download was from the same institution using the same User ID.  This would make Quicken a bit easier to use.

Thanks.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account Categories.

I would recommend that you keep the finances of separate taxable individuals (e.g., your children) in separate Quicken files. That, in turn, would solve this issue.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Suggestion to Customize Downloaded Data by Account.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Rs6erRs6er Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Account Categories.

I used to do what you did, and ended up with way too many categories. Finally, I set up a separate file for my son with only categories he needed ( and my account has only categories I use.) This separate account was a pain before the latest updates which allowed the same user name for separate accounts. Now it works great.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Suggestion to Customize Downloaded Data by Account.
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add Vote.

Actually, the SAME idea has already been posted for the Mac version.  You can add your VOTE for the Ability for Categorization tied to Payee to be account dependent.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks

? Add your vote here:

(

• SVanDeeSVanDee Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I buy things from the same gas stations and other businesses for business or personal use with different credit cards. I wish charges from the same Payees to the different Accounts could be categorized differently.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to do this would be to give the payees slightly different names.  Q doesn't use Account to determine payees.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27

There are times where you have the same downloaded payee names downloaded into two different accounts, but you need to give them different categories/tags and such.

If a user can restrict a renaming rule to a given account (or set of accounts) then they can rename the payee based on the account and have those two or more renamed payees flow into two or more memorized payees.

Note this request applies to all versions of quicken, ... Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac, and Quicken Canadian.

Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record:
    There's a lengthy discussion about this Idea here:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20066613#Comment_20066613
    I've added "Mac" to the title of this Idea post to make it easier to differentiate between Mac and Windows Ideas
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member ✭✭✭
    Yes by account register then to make it even more refined, by date. Why by date for those reoccurring entries with same name? This would fix almost all possible issues.

So you have say one account where where you may pay the same vendor for a different property - Example Electric Bill different properties being paid out of the same bank account - but are paid on different dates of month.

So Auto Name on register level>vendor>date (look at previous month recurring entry and maybe off 1 or 2 days) would be the best one can do and for whatever reason if say had pmt to same vendor, same register, same date - quicken would mark those like they do to match.
  • RCinNJRCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8
    I'm confused by the vote button. It says "Not Planned: Unfortunately, the amount of work this would take means that we won't consider this idea right now." Feels like I'm being sad to vote for the QM team not to put any effort into this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the purpose, but I don't know what the QM team is supposed to take from it.

Personally, I hate how categorizations will carry over to different accounts and I believe these should be account dependent.
    With enough votes, it may cause them to reconsider their plans. It has happened before. Of course, it is based on so many factors, many to which we do no visibility. All one can do is cast a vote to voice a desire. Which is better than some other products where not such public avenue exists.

? Add your vote here:

(

• ces3001ces3001 Member
    I manage my family’s credit cards and bank accounts in a single quicken file, and this would DRAMATICALLY help me categorize expenses.
  • ces3001ces3001 Member
    I would really like this feature too. Would save me HOURS each month as I have many different credit cards and various accounts that need to categorize the same payee differently.
  • Brad1Brad1 Member ✭✭
    QuickFill Rules apply to a Payee, across all accounts and registers. This is problematic when there are multiple people in a household. Ideally there should be a preference for this, the default being that a QuickFill Rule for a Payee applies only WITHIN THAT ACCOUNT REGISTER. And then a preference or option to make the Rules apply Globally across all accounts. Consider this common scenario: Wife and I both get gas at local Sunoco, we use different credits cards and like to track the gas expenditures per vehicle. We always use her Visa for the HondaOdyssey, always use my MasterCard for the JeepWrangler. When I download transactions in Quicken, the Payee shows the same "Sunoco #whatever blah blah location" in each account register. I can make a QuickFill rule to automatically Categorize transactions to Auto: Gas & Fuel. I'd also like to Classify(tag) as HondaOdyssey in the Visa register BUT Classify(tag) as JeepWrangler in the MasterCard register. I see no way to do that and must manually Tag these transactions for the appropriate vehicle.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited June 29
    Hello Brad,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your request.

Your post has been moved to the ongoing post requesting this Idea. Unfortunately, the status of the Idea is "Not Planned."

The status is located at the top of the Idea post and is as follow:

"Unfortunately, the amount of work this would take means that we won't consider this idea right now."

I apologize for not having better news. 

If you haven't already, please be sure to take a moment to review other existing Ideas on the Community and add your vote.

https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-ideas-quicken-for-mac

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • dave6697dave6697 Member
    I download transactions from different accounts which use the same name "interest". It would be great if could rename renaming rule for "interest" for each account, so that can see these in reports.

It would be a great feature to allow renaming rule to be restricted by account for this and many other scenarios.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭
    @dave6697  Make sure you don't just comment but VOTE for ideas you want to see implemented. (You vote by finding the first post in the thread, and in the blue box under the initial post, click the little gray triangle to add your vote.) The site moderators pass on topics with higher vote totals to the development team.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993