Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

cancell transfer investment income to linked checking account

Ringo22
Ringo22 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken H&B 15 R11 OS Windows 10
I have an investment linked checking account which I need to close.  I do not want Quicken to modify either account. When I tried to use the edit investment acct. and clicking the "no" to show cash in checking, Quicken modified both accounts. I simply want to stop the transfer as of a specific date.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sorry.  Can't do what you want (as far as I know).  The linked account in Quicken is really a pseudo-account.  As you observed, when you toggle the Yes to No, the transactions in the other "account" simply revert back to the original investment account.  You can toggle the No back to Yes and they will all move again to the linked account.  Thus, from my perspective, the linked account is not "real" but is instead a simple presentation of the cash amounts and related transactions.  

Further with my perspective, I see the linked account setting as a carry-over from when cash handling within an investment account was less robust.  At one time, it was not possible to write a check from an investment account; now it is possible.  

In your case, your options would seem to be:
    a) leave it as a linked account.  Perhaps adding a reminder transaction that before this date it was through XYZ "bank" and after this date it is through ABC Bank, or
    b)  Let it all revert back to the original investment account and work out of that, perhaps with the same type of reminder, or
    c) manually manage your own linkage between the investment account and whatever real-world account you model in Quicken (whereby you would each time specify the transfer account).  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    How about starting a new investment account as of the desired date ... and transferring all positions (including cash) to the new account?  And then just letting the old account sit unused, while hooking the new account up to your brokerage (after disabling download into the old).
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

Not happy.  Appears I will have to live with it.  My investment account will accumulate income and EFT to the checking account each week.  Since I can not break the link without screwing up the history in both accounts, dating back to April 25, 1988, I will manually enter the investment income as it occurs and not the EFTs.  It will make the monthly reconciles some what more difficult.

Not sure why developers choose this arrangement, maybe it saved a separate file but has limited the EU's flexibility.  I would think this is happening to a lot of EUs. There ought to be a simple means to turn off the the transfer and let the investment account accumulate the cash.  EUs could then transfer the cash to any account in the file.  One of the other reply's indicated that EU can toggle back and forth between "yes & no", if trying to see what might work.  This didn't work for me, balances in both accounts were distorted, when returning to "no". My linked account has many credit and debits that were not funneled through the investment account, which may have caused the balance issues.
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Additional comment to q.lurker.

Please see above.  I will probably continue to use the linked account and would like to rename the account, which I don't think can be done. I don't think there is away to create a new investment account and copy all of the investment data (history) to a new account and setting "no" for show cash in a checking acct.

I would hope that someone will pass on this problem to the developers to fix.
    Thanks for your response.
This discussion has been closed.