Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

H & B 2015: How do I connect a brokerage account with a business? (so account and income show on bus

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
re Quicken Home & Business 2015: How do I associate a business brokerage account with that business (a corporation separate from personal accounts) so that the asset shows on the business balance sheet and the brokerage dividends and interest show on the business profit and loss? The other property assets and liabilities for the business are tagged and do show separately.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Go into Edit Account Details, click the Display Options tab.
    In the box named Account Intent change one of the two dropdown fields from Personal to Business.

If you are running, as you stated "a corporation separate from personal accounts", I do hope you are running it in a Quicken data file entirely separate from the data file with your personal accounts.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

Go into Edit Account Details, click the Display Options tab.
    In the box named Account Intent change one of the two dropdown fields from Personal to Business.

If you are running, as you stated "a corporation separate from personal accounts", I do hope you are running it in a Quicken data file entirely separate from the data file with your personal accounts.

Extending on ukr's last paragraph.  A Q data file should contain ALL of the info for a single tax entity and ONLY the info for that tax entity.

IF your business files it's taxes on a Schedule C in your tax return, then it's part of your tax entity.

But, if your business files a completely separate tax return, then it shouldn't be in your Q data file at all ... and having the Business in it's own data file (along with the businesses investment account) would resolve your issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks to you both BUT I had originally tried to set up a separate data file for the business. 1. Quicken then asked me for my Intuit user name and password which I supplied and got the error "an unknown error has occurred, please try to connect later". Which I have done a number of times (inclu 2 min ago) with the same result.

2. So I read all the online 'help' manuals which said I could set up a tagged business in the Qdata file. Many hours later I find the system doesn't appear to have contemplated that a 'business' could have a brokerage account which these days as a retiree is the primary function of my 'business'.

Based on your experience i should give up on option 2 above and try to solve 1 above. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.