QMac 2017: Importing CSV or QIF files into Quicken.

I am using Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3.1.  Several of my banks and credit cards are not listed or available for automatic download into Quicken. When I log in to those sites, I am able to download transactions to my computer in either a QIF file or CSV file.  QFX is not an option with any of them. How do I import a CSV or QIF file to get this data into Quicken?

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    Unfortunately, QIF import is only supported for initial migration from other financial software and CSV import is only supported for ongoing security price updates. Beyond that, the only other means is either using QFX, which is not an option for you, or using Direct Connect or Quicken Connect if they are available for your FI/Bank. And if none of that works, you have to enter all your data manually.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited September 2018
    If your US or Canadian bank does not support Quicken, contact the bank's upper management and request that they do so. The bank must initiate the process with Quicken or nothing will happen.
  • CarlCarl Member
    edited February 2017

Unfortunately, QIF import is only supported for initial migration from other financial software and CSV import is only supported for ongoing security price updates. Beyond that, the only other means is either using QFX, which is not an option for you, or using Direct Connect or Quicken Connect if they are available for your FI/Bank. And if none of that works, you have to enter all your data manually.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Forgive me for saying this, but does Quicken not care about its users?  How difficult can it be to support formats they once supported, which have clearly been adopted by numerous financial institutions?  From there looks of things on the internet, I'm not alone in my frustrations.  Thank goodness for 30-day money-back... looks like Quicken is still a fail. So sad.
  • edited January 2017

no, apparently they don't. Can't get someone on the phone and links to chat send me to community.....literally pulling my hair out.
  • Sean CullSean Cull Member
    edited December 2017
    This is pretty poor for a premium product :-(
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited February 2017

Quicken is not a very customer oriented product.  I can't get QFX files from Citibank (one of the largest in the world) and there's no way I can even find out who to talk to.  and if I did, Citibank wouldn't change its process for me.  I don't understand why Quicken doesn't support a QIF file import, and it's not working for me.  If I have to enter transactions by hand, i really don't need quicken.  Any old spreadsheet will do.
  • Wes GilbertWes Gilbert Member
    edited January 2018
    This is completely unacceptable not to support import formats other then Quickens format.  CSV is a standard method of importing into most software.  I agree this is really poor for a premium product.
  • Andrea SedlakAndrea Sedlak Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm disgusted with this "product"--You're all right-on. A financial software package that doesn't function with basic capabilities that its earlier incarnations possessed is simply sloppy, lazy programming. I'm asking for my money back, too.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member
    edited November 2017
    Just checked into the download options for Citi Credit cards; In addition to PDF, QFX,QIF, CSV,OFX, & custom delimiter are supported. Based on this I suspect Citibank supports similar formats.
  • Martin LoudenMartin Louden Member
    edited February 2017

Totally agree with above comments! I mean how hard can it it be to import a QIF file like we did in earlier Quicken versions!! I too am now looking for an alternative, more user friendly accounting software. Have heard good reports about Kashflow - has anyone else used them before?
  • DougDoug Member
    edited August 2018
    I have had similar issues with prior versions of Quicken.  I ended up using a third party solution to get my CSV converted to OFX for old quicken essentials.    The company has a QFX converter too.   https://www.propersoft.net/csv2qfx/   It isn't what Quicken should be doing, but it will save you from re-entering your data.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited February 2017
    Doug said:

I have had similar issues with prior versions of Quicken.  I ended up using a third party solution to get my CSV converted to OFX for old quicken essentials.    The company has a QFX converter too.   https://www.propersoft.net/csv2qfx/   It isn't what Quicken should be doing, but it will save you from re-entering your data.

thx for sharing
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited October 2018
    Try CSV2QFX at https://www.propersoft.net/csv2qfx/
     or QIF2QFX at https://www.propersoft.net/qif2qfx/
    If you have PDF files with bank or credit card files, try PDF2QFX at https://www.propersoft.net/pdf2qfx/
  • R2D2R2D2 Member
    edited October 2018
    The inability to import CSV files/transactions is just one more function that this software cannot do.  My guess is there will not be a Quicken Mac 2018!   
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited February 2017
    R2D2 said:

The inability to import CSV files/transactions is just one more function that this software cannot do.  My guess is there will not be a Quicken Mac 2018!   

@R2D2

Quicken for Windows doesn't even import CSV files except for Quotes.

If you had complained about not importing QIF files, your statement would have almost  made sense.

Jumping to the conclusion that the lack of CSV file import means "My guess is there will not be a Quicken Mac 2018! " is pure speculation.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• R2D2R2D2 Member
    edited February 2017
    R2D2 said:

Splasher, apologies you are correct.  I only see that Quicken Mac will import only CSV files from Mint.com. 

Yes, my comment about 'Quicken 2018' is pure speculation.  I can only say I am disappointed with Qmac 2016 when comparing to windows and I hope for further improvements.  For it is frustrating. 
  • edited June 2017
    FWIW, I've imported a number of banking and loan account CSVs into Quicken for Mac 2017 using ProperSoft's CSV2CSV converter. 

Basically, CSV2CSV converts ordinary CSVs into Mint CSVs that QM17 will accept. On import, QM17 creates an "xxx.CSV" account in the sidebar which contains the transactions. I then go into the account, highlight the transactions I want and drag them to the correct account.

Once everything looks like it's in order, I delete the .CSV account. (DO NOT delete a .CSV account with transfer transactions before you've confirmed all is well; once the .CSV account has been deleted, QM17 won't let you expunge a transfer imported from the .CSV account without going to the reference account, which of course you can't do).

Also note that although CSV2CSV has an Invst output, it doesn't seem to be able to handle CSVs from brokerages, as the mapping fields don't change to reflect share price, share amount, etc. (though I've asked for clarification on that from the developer).

You could, at any rate, just use CSV2QFX to import investment transactions in CSV format into QM17. I don't have any experience using any QFX converters with QM, but I've used ProperSoft's QFX converters successfully in the past with Quicken for Windows.

A final thing to add is that ProperSoft's volume license for $99, which allows you to use every converter they sell, is far more cost effective than buying a license for each individual converter. 
  • R2D2R2D2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for that detailed reply.  In fact, I did download and tinker with Propersoft's converters to try importing PDF bank and credit card statements.  Propersoft seems pretty useful, but still requires a bit of tinkering.  I sort of wonder if it just as easy to make all manual entries.  Still undecided on how to move forward, but thanks for your thoughts.
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017

I'm disgusted with this "product"--You're all right-on. A financial software package that doesn't function with basic capabilities that its earlier incarnations possessed is simply sloppy, lazy programming. I'm asking for my money back, too.

it just keeps getting worse and worse.
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017

I cannot upload my transactions from FCB after years of doing it successfully. When I call for help they want access to my computer to walk through the process which requires my bank user name and password and you can see the information. It is not a blind entry. I am not comfortable with this. Thoughts?
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited October 2018
    I cannot upload my transactions from FCB after years of doing it
    successfully. When I call for help they want access to my computer to
    walk through the process which requires my bank user name and password
    and you can see the information. It is not a blind entry. I am not
    comfortable with this. Thoughts?
    edited February 2017
    Cindy said:

What number are you calling?  Are you sure you are contacting official Quicken Support?

• CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017
    Cindy said:

650-250-1900
    edited February 2017
    Cindy said:

That is the official number, so they are legit.  

You could immediately change your FI password when the call is over if you think support saw too much.

• edited February 2017
    R2D2 said:

Thanks for that detailed reply.  In fact, I did download and tinker with Propersoft's converters to try importing PDF bank and credit card statements.  Propersoft seems pretty useful, but still requires a bit of tinkering.  I sort of wonder if it just as easy to make all manual entries.  Still undecided on how to move forward, but thanks for your thoughts.

I sort of wonder if it just as easy to make all manual entries
    Depends on how many transactions you want to import. Personally, I'd rather drill a hole in my head than manually enter a single account statement into a PFM, but some people do it (or say they do it). YMMV.

Regardless of which PFM you use, whether it's Quicken or MS Money or Moneydance or whatever, porting legacy data is a challenge you're going to face with all of them. They each have quirks as far as which formats they'll accept for what kinds of accounts, and FIs vary in how much back data they provide their customers, in what format, and even in the quality of their formatting. Having a Swiss army knife collection of file converters is very helpful at the least -- in fact, I'd say it's indispensable.
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017
    R2D2 said:

Ugh that sounds overwhelming to me. Worse than manual entry on three accounts.
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017
    Cindy said:

yes that is a good idea. I am just loathe to give anyone I do not personally know, as in my tech guru, access to my computer. I might have to bite the bullet. First I am going to see if FCB can download into Quickens. the reserves in essence.
  • CindyCindy Member
    edited February 2017
    Cindy said:

So it did download from bank but it opened a brand new register instead of going into an existinging register and there is no way to specify which register it should go into.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited February 2017

Cindy, who are you calling?  Because it's NOT legitimate Q Support .... which is only available on this forum and here: https://www.quicken.com/support

It's a good thing that you broke off with that first place ... because they are, AT BEST, rip off artists, and are more likely thieves
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Member
    edited February 2017

I agree with NotACPA. The only legitimate customer support phone number is (650) 250-1900 (which is available on the page NotACPA mentioned in his comment).