Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Fund name changed

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
The name of my mutual fund changed on 9 Sep 2016 (but not the ticker symbol), how can I update fund name but not change the name historically (prior to 9 Sep).  Right now when I changed the name in "Edit Security Details" it changes the name for all transactions.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Ramona,

I'm sorry for any for any confusion or frustration this may have caused.
    To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    In QWin, since the ticker stayed the same you really have no choice but to change the name for all transactions.  You won't be able to set up the security with the new name, but the old "in use" ticker.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    QWin 2017 Premier R3 26.1.2.4
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Not being able to preserve the name prior to the official name change date is not at all satisfying for my OCD.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    If entering a Corporate Name Change transaction into your account register doesn't do the trick for you, then the "OCD solution" is this:
    • Edit the current security and blank out the ticker symbol.
    • In your investment account register perform a "Corporate Acquisition" transaction for the old security as "company acquired".  Enter the new security name (it must not yet exist in the Security List!) and fill out the rest of the form.
    • Review the Security List and make sure you have the ticker symbol on the new security name only.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

If entering a Corporate Name Change transaction into your account register doesn't do the trick for you, then the "OCD solution" is this:

• In your investment account register perform a "Corporate Acquisition" transaction for the old security as "company acquired".  Enter the new security name (it must not yet exist in the Security List!) and fill out the rest of the form.
    • Review the Security List and make sure you have the ticker symbol on the new security name only.
    I was going to suggest exactly this. You would also need to make sure the cost basis is correct. Also, this will not carry over price history from the old name/entry, so you may want to re-load the last 5 years of price history, it that is important to you.

Not sure if anything else needs to be accounted for.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

I concur with ukr's suggestion as a method to maintain the prior and the new name, though I would not blank the ticker symbol.  Instead, I would make it something like xxxxX(old) with xxxxX then being used for the new one.

More fundamentally, though I understand your OCD compulsion to want both names, the practicality is that keeping both names serves no real purpose.  I think you would be better served to just go the rename route, which further makes future reporting easier.    
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    UKR said:

I just offered my 2 cents worth from an OCD perspective but I agree. Lots of work. More complicated. Little value. Just keep track of it in paper records if need be.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.