Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

I want the same security to appear separately in each account (IRA or taxable)

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken 2016 R10.  I have the same fund already set up in two accounts (Renamed years ago, "Vanguard Fund A - me", and "IRA Vanguard Fund A - spouse").  Now I've bought that fund for a taxable account, and will use the official name, "Vanguard Fund A".  When I try to add the latter as a New Security, it does not appear on my Security List, even after entering all the data on the popup screen.  If I try to enter the transaction in my taxable transaction list, only the "Vanguard Fund A -me" name appears, and the transaction would be co-mingled on the IRA security transaction detail.

I already have the same security in two accounts (the IRAs), so why can't I have it in a third one (the taxable)?  How do I get around this blockade?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    What is your rationale and need to have the two existing securities A-me and A-Spouse?  The best (IMO) solution is to do away with that added appendage and treat all holdings as Fund A.  There are plenty of views and reports that will separately present your Fund A holding separated into Your IRA, Spouses IRA and Taxable accounts.  That is the path I would encourage you to move toward.  

If you must have the three duplicate securities, there is a way to accomplish that, but will you consider the 'right' way first?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    The A-me and A-spouse accounts were set up in Quicken about 20 years ago, and/or when the app was first available, to separately track dividends, RMAs, etc.  I don't want to co-mingle the basis of the IRAs with the taxable account.  If the "views and reports" are actually separate independent tracking, tell me how to do it.  How would it affect the separate historical record as currently set up? Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Peter said:

The A-me and A-spouse accounts were set up in Quicken about 20 years ago, and/or when the app was first available, to separately track dividends, RMAs, etc.  I don't want to co-mingle the basis of the IRAs with the taxable account.  If the "views and reports" are actually separate independent tracking, tell me how to do it.  How would it affect the separate historical record as currently set up? Thanks.

The Security Detail View
    will co-mingle the fund holdings from all accounts.  That is by intent and there is no real workaround.

But Portfolio views (Ctrl-U) can be readily customized.  
    Here I have specified the applicable accounts and chosen to Group By Account and chosen the columns I want to be displayed.  The cost basis is clearly separated for each holding,  Various investment reports can be similarly customized and will keep the various holdings separate.  Internally to the Quicken database, all the various transactions are being kept separate - no real co-mingling.  

From your current state, I would be inclined to change the name of one security (Fund A-Me) to Fund A.  I would then either:
    • Edit the Fund A-spouse transactions to reference Fund A, or
    • Enter a Corporate Acquisition whereby Fund A acquires Fund A-spouse at a 1-to-1 share ratio.  
    Backup before going down this path.  

HTH
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Peter said:

I know it's wrong but I have my Vanguard funds set up the same way as you and have no problems with them. I'm using QW2013.  
    VG GNMA
    VG GNMA My IRA
    VG GNMA Spouse IRA
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks, q.lurker.  What about the posting of int/div and and other transactions?  Would this be done on each account's transaction page and then be on just one page in the security detail?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Like the op, I have had my funds set up that way back before online access came into play. I find it to be a really powerful way to manage my investments. For example, when I run reports I typically can select all accounts, securities etc., and then skip to the last tab and pick just the goal or goals I want to see.

It does, however lead to, issues when downloading. As q.lurker states, the security linked to online access will be downloaded and you have to then manually edit the transaction to get it correct and ignore any placeholder requests. The stock for stock corporate acquisition approach is probably the best way to switch course as recommended, though my guess is it will take some time getting used to it.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    You post your transactions in the Account in which the transaction occurred.  So if "Vanguard Fund A" issues a dividend of $.25 per share, you'd to to each Account in which you have that fund and make the appropriate entries, (# of shares in Account x $.25).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    OK.  Since I don't care about the fund name - only proper tracking, I'll let by new taxable purchase be called Fund A-me (Quicken's default entry. per my first post) and let Fund A-spouse stay the same, and do the Group By Account.  Less messing around this way.  Thanks to all.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Peter said:

Thanks, q.lurker.  What about the posting of int/div and and other transactions?  Would this be done on each account's transaction page and then be on just one page in the security detail?

Would this be done on each account's transaction page and then be on just one page in the security detail?
    Yes, that is the way it would work.
This discussion has been closed.