Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Under Armour Ticker Changes driving Quicken Crazy

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I originally had shares of Under Armour (original ticker UA). In June, UA decided to spit into Class A and Class C shares, with a 1.07:1 split. The new ticker for the Class C was UA.C. 

This December, UA changed the symbol for both classes.  They felt the UA.C symbol was being ignored and didn't track the Class A shares very well, so in order to give them better visibility, they changed the symbol of the Class A shares from UA to UAA, and the Class C shares from UA.C to UA (the original Class A ticker).

Quicken hasn't received that well. I've gone through all kinds of gymnastics to edit the security so that the old UA position now = UAA, and the UA.C position = UA.  Quicken insists on swapping the value of the shares and putting the extra fractional shares in the Class A shares held (remember, it was 1:07:1).  So, now the ticker for Class A (UAA) shows too many shares and the wrong price ($27.03 instead of $32.27) and the class C Shares shows too few shares, and too high of a price ($32.72 instead of $27.03).  If I swap the tickers, all the data swaps with it.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Howdydooit,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. I don't have a lot of experience with tracking investments personally, but to help other members that DO have investment tracking experience provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Ooops. Forgot that one detail! Premier 2016.  Now, having said that, the proper quotes seems to have fixed themselves once the market opened today, so in the words of Rosanne Rosana Dana...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I just fixed the share totals. For me, cost basis is not too important since this is in an IRA, so can't comment on that aspect, but the discovery of how to fix for # of shares was rather obtuse.

First, click on the equity in the portfolio view to get the Security Detail screen. Then , right click in the transaction history and select Security Report. From the report, choose the split transaction (double click on it) to get the "Edit Stock Spit" screen.  For the Class C shares, note under "new shares" - for me it said "1" and for me under old shares it also said "1."  For UAA, it said "0.992952" under old shares. That's what was giving me 1007 shares for the Class A when it should have been 1000.  I just copied the "0.992952" to the clipboard and put in a "1," which effectively changed it to 1000. 

Under the Class C shares I repeated the process. To give me 1007.  I pasted the "0.992952" into "Old Shares" substituting for "1" and now everything looks good.

I don't know (or care at this point) how the price history or transaction history looks. All I know is I feel like I dodged a major bullet just having the correct # of shares  and correct share price under the right ticker.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Detailed info on the Under Armour corporate action and how to account for if in Quicken can be found here.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I just fixed the share totals. For me, cost basis is not too important since this is in an IRA, so can't comment on that aspect, but the discovery of how to fix for # of shares was rather obtuse.

First, click on the equity in the portfolio view to get the Security Detail screen. Then , right click in the transaction history and select Security Report. From the report, choose the split transaction (double click on it) to get the "Edit Stock Spit" screen.  For the Class C shares, note under "new shares" - for me it said "1" and for me under old shares it also said "1."  For UAA, it said "0.992952" under old shares. That's what was giving me 1007 shares for the Class A when it should have been 1000.  I just copied the "0.992952" to the clipboard and put in a "1," which effectively changed it to 1000. 

Under the Class C shares I repeated the process. To give me 1007.  I pasted the "0.992952" into "Old Shares" substituting for "1" and now everything looks good.

I don't know (or care at this point) how the price history or transaction history looks. All I know is I feel like I dodged a major bullet just having the correct # of shares  and correct share price under the right ticker.

Without regard to what you brokerage may have downloaded, it appears to me you are making this too complex.  From what you wrote to begin with (UA.A > UAA and UA.C to UA), I would have (after backing up my file):
    • Edited the Security Details for UA changing the ticker to UAA and opting to copy the UA prices to the new ticker and to delete the old UA prices, then
    • Edited the UA.C Security Details changing the ticker to UA with the same options checked.
    If the brokerage threw something else at me, I would have deleted its offering.  

If the CUSIP numbers for the two securities changed (doubtful, but I don;t know), then uncheck the "matched to online security box" and reassociate the matching with you next brokerage download.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

Detailed info on the Under Armour corporate action and how to account for if in Quicken can be found here.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

@mshiggins:  Thanks for throwing that link at the OP.  I was headed the same way, but this really is a different question related to ticker symbol changes taking place at a different point in time.  I was inclined to add a pointer in that discussion toward this discussion, since the same followers may be interested in this tangential topic, but that discussion is closed.  
This discussion has been closed.