Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Upgrade from 2015 H & B to 2017 Starter?

Long time customer, having to overpay to retire?  I have been using Quicken for over a decade, and most recently bought 2015 Home & Business.  Now, I am retiring at the end of December, and I want to downgrade my database to Quicken Starter; I don't need the business part anymore.  But, I've read that I can't migrate my data to Starter edition.  So, are you going to make me pay for the "Business" features that I am no longer interested in using?  I don't feel you're offering me any benefit for having been a long-term customer.

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ caogdin ,

You can get the Deluxe for 44.95 from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Personal-Budgeting-Software-Download/dp/B01M2V5FUT/ref=sr_1_2?s=softw...

Deluxe version will import files, but you lose access to Business Data, even though, it is still part of the Data File.

I recommend, buying the PC Download, as oppose to PC Disc. You can't misplace a Download, but you can lose the PC Disc.

I would however keep Quicken 2015 Home & Business going in a separate partition and operating system, for continued access to Business Data, if you need it, if you have it available.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Hi @ caogdin ,

You can get the Deluxe for 44.95 from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Quicken-Personal-Budgeting-Software-Download/dp/B01M2V5FUT/ref=sr_1_2?s=softw...

Deluxe version will import files, but you lose access to Business Data, even though, it is still part of the Data File.

I recommend, buying the PC Download, as oppose to PC Disc. You can't misplace a Download, but you can lose the PC Disc.

I would however keep Quicken 2015 Home & Business going in a separate partition and operating system, for continued access to Business Data, if you need it, if you have it available.

You will NOT lose the business data.  All of your business accounts will be converted to regular Q accounts, and you'll lose the business reports and forms ... but ALL of your data will be brought over.
    If you run an Income and Expense report, or a Net Worth report, immediately before and after the conversion, the "bottom line" numbers will be identical.  NO LOST DATA!
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    First off, you still have 16 months of online banking support (downloading) until April 2018 left.  I wouldn't be changing to a newer version until a February 2018 and then transition to Deluxe.

Starter Edition is for beginners and can only work with data from prior editions of Starter Edition, you can NOT downgrade to SE from any higher edition of Quicken.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited June 2017
    splasher said:

First off, you still have 16 months of online banking support (downloading) until April 2018 left.  I wouldn't be changing to a newer version until a February 2018 and then transition to Deluxe.

Starter Edition is for beginners and can only work with data from prior editions of Starter Edition, you can NOT downgrade to SE from any higher edition of Quicken.

You are wrong. I only use it for checking savings and credit cards. Starter edition works great for this. I have, nor ever needed the buisness editions.I have been using Starter edition and TurboTax for a long long time. I just went to upgrade to 2017 starter addition. It states it does not: "Imports from previous Quicken versions" or "Shows all financial accounts" or receive the $10.00 discount for previous users to upgrade.  Why Upgrade.  You have lost along time user of Quicken and Turbo Tax.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    splasher said:

Hi @ gee cree ,

See this Article: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...
    Quicken is programmed by Quicken, Inc.Turbo Tax is programmed by Intuit. Inc.
    Quicken 2017 Starter Version does not convert files from any past version years of Quicken Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business or Rental Property Manager.

You can continue to use your version of Quicken Starter, in manual mode only for as long as you are alive. No need to upgrade.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    splasher said:

@gee cree

No one said that Starter Edition is not a good, useful edition, what we very correctly stated is that you can use Starter Edition to work with a Deluxe (or higher) data file.  

@caogdin wanted to go from H&B to SE and that is not possible.  

Going from SE to SE to SE which is what it sounds like you have been doing is possible and works fine.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.