Add Reconciliation Report to Quicken for Mac (88 Legacy Votes)

smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 15 in Reports (Mac)
Need a Reconciliation Report in Quicken for Mac like in QM2007.

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
12 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Report Types.
    You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• Jan WinsteadJan Winstead Member
    edited November 2017
    I sure wish I had done some research about Quicken for Mac before I purchased it for my new Mac computer.  If I had,  I surely could have found a better product. I had no idea I was getting a product not fully developed.  I loved everything about my Windows version of Quicken. I haven't found anything in this Mac version to say that about, regrettably.  
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

Jan, I don't know how long ago you purchased Quicken for Mac, but if it's under 60 days, you can get a full refund from Quicken. (As for "I surely could have found a better product" on the Mac, that's a subject of some debate around here, but if you get your money back, you can try what else is out there if you wish.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

Jan, interesting observation you make about research; When I decided to purchase an iMac the main issue outside of Mac software vs Windows Office products was "how am I going to handle Quicken". I spent a few weeks prior to pulling the trigger here learning the differences between QW & QM..Had been a QW user for many, many moons. The info I obtained allowed me to understand the differences/lack of capability (QM16 at the time)versus what I was used to dealing with in QW. I made my decision based on the excellent inputs here in the community threads. The result, when I decided to purchase QM16 , for the most part I understood what I could & could not accomplish with QM and subjected myself to the minimal number of surprises/frustrations.

As jacobs states you have a 60 day return policy on QM. Suggest that every now & then you can check in here and see whats new in the QM world.
  • Michael ChenMichael Chen Member
    edited January 21
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RECONCILE REPORT QMAC 2017/18.

So many people have asked for the reconciliation report feature that we had in Win versions. What does it take for response? Anyone working on this? Has it made the list of "must haves"? It's a must, for me.
  • Renee MassiminiRenee Massimini Member
    edited November 15

Its a MUST for me also..
    edited November 15

Michael: Quicken almost never comments on future features, and very rarely posts replies to requests here either. We can only wait and wonder what new features will come and when.
  • jklmn_winjklmn_win Member ✭✭
    edited November 15

I too say a reconciliation report is a must. How in the world do you go back 2 months and prove you truly reconciled your account with out a report proving you were in balance?
    edited November 15

Printing a report is one way. Another is Quicken recording and tracking the reconciliations performed. You may want to also add your VOTE to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Reconciliation Process. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• James FergusonJames Ferguson Member
    edited November 15

This could be a deal breaker for me to not have the ability to print a reconciliation report after I balance an account. 
    Really seems to be a feature that should already be there and has been in the Windows version I have used for years, so why not have it in the Mac version? I am assuming that this is in Quicken 2018 Windows and not Quicken 2018 for Mac.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

No printing of reconciliation report in Qm, but you might be able to do a screenshot & print that if you like
  • James FergusonJames Ferguson Member
    edited November 15

The report function in QM 2018 is significantly less than that of the Windows Product. A reconciliation report one would expect to be a standard report and yet it is not in the QM product.
    Quicken should not charge the same price for QM as it does for QW if they are not equal on function and delivery.
    Would you pay for 5 pounds of ground beef and accept receiving only 3?
    edited November 15

Just remember to add your VOTE above...

• Carolyn NeherCarolyn Neher Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled BRING BACK THE RECONCILIATION REPORT!.

I have been a quicken user for over 20 years and have loved it on both Windows and then Mac. However in 2016 I was forced to upgrade to Quicken 2016 on my Mac because the operating system was too advanced for the Quicken version I had. I reconcile every month and a reconciliation report is very important and needed for me. I was SHOCKED and angry to discover that in the 'newer' version they dropped an important feature. Now every month I have to create one by hand - when I called about it, I was told that it was indeed dropped and that they had had several comments on it. I upgraded to 2017 when it came out in the hopes that they had brought it back - but no. (Rant Redacted)
    edited November 15

Carolyn, one thing to understand about the new-generation of Quicken for Mac is that some features from the past don’t exist simply because they haven’t gotten around to coding them yet. The developers had to start over from scratch, and they have a long list of feature requests from users as they work through re-developing 20+ years of work on the old Quicken. It’s taking a lot longer than they expected, and a lot longer than many users want. The only good thing is that they are making progress, and there are new features every couple months.

That said, in some cases they have tried to re-think the way things should work — in some cases making improvements over the old versions, and in other cases making things worse.

I’m not quite sure if the reconciliation report falls into the category of “just not done yet” or “we don’t think this is needed.” So it’s good for users to post here about features they want, because the developers sometimes don’t understand how people use the software.

In that vein, I’d be interested to learn why a reconciliation report is important to you. I reconcile my accounts every month, but have never generated a report when I do so; I just check things off in the reconcile window. So I’m interested in understanding what a reconcile report does to help you reconcile your accounts.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

Also, BTW, you may not know that while you have a reconciliation in progress, you can print that window as you can any register. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    edited November 15

Every good accountant has to prove the bank statement did in fact balance back to the check register. A report is needed to prove that you did in fact balance each month. If one month you can’t balance with the bank’s statement and you go to the bank for assistance, they will ask you to show them where you last balanced. Showing what checks/deposits were outstanding at that reconciliation.

CPA’s that balance a customer’s bank statement for them. Need a report proving to the customer that the check register balances with the bank statement. You can not prove this with Quicken 17 for Mac. I am so disappointed!

The report would show outstanding checks listed by check number with the amount totaled. Outstanding deposits listed individually, then totaled. It would take the bank’s balance on the date of the statement plus the outstanding deposits and minus the outstanding checks. this ending balance should equal your check register for the day you are reconciling to.

It was a great report in the old Quicken I used on Windows!
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Jklmn_win,

I understand the frustration that this has caused.

If I change the filters at the top of the register to show the transactions for the reconcile period and change the status to uncleared, this shows the total of the uncleared transactions.

If I change the status back to show any status I get to see all of the transactions that have been reconciled along with the uncleared transactions.

What else would you be needing to show?

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited November 15

If so many users want this why are there only 64 “votes” for this? Maybe because the instructions say vote at the top of the pages when in fact you vote at the bottom.
    edited July 2018
    A balance that equals the bank statement.
    edited July 2018
    edited July 2018
    I understand that it would be ideal to have this report added.

In the meantime, if the account isn't reconciling, I would add the balance that it should be totally too in the memo and notes transaction on the last column.

That way there are the transactions that haven't reconciled and all the transactions for that period and the total from the statement at least in one place.

It's definitely not comparable to the report being available in the program but at least it something to try as I'm not able to provide any ETA on when and if this would become available. 

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited July 2018
    There has to be a way to print a report that will show what you put into quicken as the bank balance, add any outstanding deposits and subtract any outstanding checks giving an actual balance that must equal your quicken check register balance after accounting for any service charge or interest on the banks statement you are reconciling.
    edited July 2018
    Does Quicken for Windows still have a reconciliation report?
    edited January 19
    Hey Jklmn_win,

The only time that that information is displayed is upon entering the reconcile screen.

You may need to get a screenshot like I have done above if that is the information that you need.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Richard Sparks JrRichard Sparks Jr Member
    edited November 15

Quicken Tyka,
    Something that I think may be missed in this discussion is that daily Quicken looses credibility in the market place for offering an inferior product.  The purpose of Quicken is to help you reconcile your bank statement, but we don't give you the report to prove that it balances.  The report that has been on the back of every bank statement that I've ever received.  The report that has been an industry standard for years as the way to complete and prove the account actually balances.  You advertise and offer a product to assist customers in managing their bank accounts, yet you can not / will not provide a basic report that is expected to be in every similar product.  Starting today I'm looking for a company that knows how to write software that actually does what the customer wants/needs and is up to industry standards.  I've have not ever researched competitors products because I have loved and used Quicken for over 20 years.  Today that changes.  I can only hope that I can find a product as good as Quicken once was!
    edited November 15

Richard, If Quicken couldn't do bank reconciliations, that would obviously be a severe and unacceptable limitation -- but it can. Quicken does allow you to reconcile an account just like the back-of-every-bank-statement form -- but it does so on the screen, not on a printed report. You can see if you've balanced correctly or not on the screen. I reconcile my accounts monthly without problem, and without printing anything.

I do understand some users might want to be able to print this out for their records; I'm not sure I understand why this is so significant you would switch to another product over it. (I'm not saying that to suggest you're wrong; I'm just saying I truly don't understand why this is a showstopper issue.)

---

As for Quicken being an "inferior product", as you're likely aware Quicken has been in the process of re-writing the legacy Quicken for Mac as a new program over the past few years. Unfortunately, that means there are still many features from the old Mac product and the windows product that have not yet been implemented. To you, a reconciliation report is a mind-boggling omission. To other users, it's the absence of Income Statement and Balance sheet reports. To others, it's multi-currency support. To others, it's...well, you get the idea -- there are lots of things that still need to be done, and every user prioritizes those needs differently. They're making progress, but each of us has different tolerance/acceptance of the missing pieces and shortcomings.
    edited November 15

VOTES are ALWAYS at the TOP of the page... where the big VOTE button is. If it says UNVOTE it means you have already recorded your VOTE.

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

If all you need is proof that the account reconciled, just take a screenshot of the reconcile window showing Quicken balance equals Statement balance, before clicking Done.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    edited November 15

@jklmn_win: Thanks for your explanation. I do the books for my company, and my business accounting software has reconciliation reports matching the ledger and bank statement by listing outstanding checks and deposits -- and I agree that is a requirement for  business software. I just hadn't thought about it the same way for personal finance software. I don't have to pass muster with an auditor or accountant, and I've never gone to my bank for help reconciling my statement; I just need to assure myself my account is reconciled. (But I now better understand why other users find printed documentation of their reconciliation more important than I do; thanks.)