Home Quicken for Windows File Conversion and Backup (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Will Home Inventory Transfer into Quicken 2017?

Mark TorpeyMark Torpey Member ✭✭
I am ready to upgrade from Quicken Premier 2014 to the same or Home & Business 2017. In the past, I have been able to carry overt Home Inventory data. Is this still possible with 2017?

Comments

• jl747jl747 SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes it should.
    I went from Q2014 to 2015 to 2016 to 2017 Premier and the Home Inventory transfer or opened without any problems.
    That said, remember I am talking about the embedded version not the real old stand alone version of which I have never used.

Please also read the following on how to install the Home Inventory.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer

Also note that there might be a case where it does not transfer or open because of ones antivirus.
    You may have to allow your AV it to run (white list) the QHI file.
    Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This is interesting. I was just told by Q agent that Home Inventory is no longer a part of Q Premier in 2017. I was going to upgrade for Premier 2014 to 2017 but I need that home inventory module. Can you confirm it is still there, although hidden, in Premier 2017?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2016

This is interesting. I was just told by Q agent that Home Inventory is no longer a part of Q Premier in 2017. I was going to upgrade for Premier 2014 to 2017 but I need that home inventory module. Can you confirm it is still there, although hidden, in Premier 2017?

It is still there.  Note that there use to be a separate "Home Inventory" program that is no longer supported.  And then there is the "Emergency Records Organizer" that is provided with Quicken.  It is the "Emergency Record Organizer" that is still there, but hidden.

You need to have Classic menus on, and it is under Properties & Debt.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2016

Thanks. Looks like I'll be able to update to 2017. I love the home inventory for insurance records, etc. It quit working when I moved to Windows 8.1 but now works with Windows 10. I tried another inventory program but it was very inferior compared to Quicken's.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017

I just tried to add quicken home inventory to Quicken Deluxe 2015,  and it does not show up on the Properties & Debt classic menu.  Help!
    edited January 2017

Bob,
    You should be posting your own question.

Since the original post is about going from Q2014 to Q2017.

When you do post your own question include OS and whether you are talking about the embedded or stand alone version of QHI.
    Plus what steps you did to try to get it to work.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017

QHI won't work for me on Quicken 2017.  I can get it to open and see my old data but the system freezes if I try to make an entry (message says programs stopped working).

I did a chat session and was told to validate my files.  That didn't help.  Then I was told to uninstall and reinstall Quicken but that didn't help either.  Also told to rename a lot of my files.  Of course the restart ended my chat session.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Quicken 2017, R6, Build lot 26.1.6.1
    edited May 2017

You should be posting your own separate question.

That said try this.

Make sure  Quicken is closed.
    Find the QHI.exe  and make it compatible with Windows XP or if there is Windows 7.

On my W7 system the file can be found at C:\Program Files\Quicken
    Click on Properties then the Compatibility tab and find where it says "Run this Program in..."  and pick one of the options.

After you do this try to open QHI. Sometimes the firewall and antivirus blocks the file so you have to white list or if a warning pops up tell the program it is OK to run.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017

Thanks for the response.  There is no compatibility tab, just "General", "Security", and "Details".  I'm using windows 8.1.  

I edited security to give me full control but that didn't help.  Like I said the program opens but  stops working if I try to make an entry.  I don't have any antivirus at the moment because I recently replaced my HDD.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I don't see that I posted on this thread yet. Here's my experience how to install Inventory.....

You have to first install the Inventory program so you have to find the install file and double click on it. The install file is QuickenHomeInventory.exe (and you should also have EmergencyRecordsOrganizer.exe).

I have Quicken 2013 and when I moved Quicken to my new HP Desktop 64bit with Windows 8.1 - I found inventory in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken folder. I used this link

https://www.quicken.com/support/insta...

After it was installed, I went back and found the actual program "QHI.exe" in the programs folder and I right clicked on it and sent a shortcut to my Desktop. The data file ends in .IDB. It should be in My Documents (or just Documents) in the Quicken folder. Or search for it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited May 2017
    jl747 said:

Yes it should.
    I went from Q2014 to 2015 to 2016 to 2017 Premier and the Home Inventory transfer or opened without any problems.
    That said, remember I am talking about the embedded version not the real old stand alone version of which I have never used.

https://www.quicken.com/support/installing-quicken-home-inventory-and-emergency-records-organizer

Also note that there might be a case where it does not transfer or open because of ones antivirus.

I recently upgraded to Quicken 2017.  The good news is that QHI is there and I can open my file.  the bad news is that I can't make any changes or new entries.  I get a message that the program has stopped working.

I used the Quicken chat twice.  The first time they had me clean my files, uninstall Quicken, and reinstall.  That didn't help.  The second time they  had me change some security settings in windows which also didn't help.  Then they told me it was a windows problem and ended my session.  It's not just me because I've seen similar complaints online.
    edited May 2017
    jl747 said:

Yes it should.

You should be posting your question on its own that way more people would see it.

What version of Quicken did you upgrade from?
    Was your version of Quicken Home Inventory the embedded or the stand alone version?
    What OS?
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
This discussion has been closed.