Suggestion for Archive Function

RandalRandal Member
This is a suggestion for a better way to archive in Quicken (either Mac or Windows).  The idea is that there is a working file and a single archive file.  The working file can be whatever one wants for immediate access--for example I might choose to keep the last 5 years here.  There is also an archive file, which contains everything over 5 years old.  Periodically, such as once a year, I remove the oldest year from my working file and ADD it to the archive file.  

The advantage over the current method is that there is only one archive file, rather than multiple ones.  The working file can stay at a reasonable size for good performance, but I can use the archive file to find anything that is old-- in which case I don't mind waiting a little longer to work with a big file.  Of course, if I wanted to permanently delete really old stuff from archive, I could do that.

As far as I can tell, there is no archive function yet in Quicken for Mac.  There is an archive function in Quicken for Windows, but I'd love to see an option as noted above.  Thank you.

Randal Hundley
2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• AnneAnne Member
    edited July 2018
    Ditto - Looking for the archive function in Quicken for Mac 2017.  
  • SPBSPB Member
    edited November 2018
    I totally agree with having more control over the Archive Files.  In addition, I'd recommend adding a feature on the Reports that allow Users to run Reports off a designated Quicken file.  Specifically, having the ability to run a Comparison Report off the Current File against an Archived File would be so awesome.  I can keep the Working/Current Quicken small and nibble while actually using an Archived file for something really useful. 
  • Bob MyersBob Myers Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Randall, please share the method you use for "adding to an archive file"
  • barbarabarbara Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I LOVE your suggestion for archiving files.  I, too, would like to keep a few years (2-5) in my working file and archive the rest - in one large file or separate files in 5-year blocks.  Let's hope that someone is listening - and paying attention to our needs!  And then I would hope that Quicken would send out a notice to ALL users of an improved archiving system.

I assume that there is no way to change the ending date on the archive file.  Currently, when I tried to archive, the default ending date was 12/31/2016 when I really wanted 12/31/2010.
  • TexanTexan Member
    edited November 15

Yes, Randall. I have an old archive file and i would like to add to it but when i try it appears that quicken will just replace it and not append it. I am afraid to try it for fear that i will lose my old archive file. What am i doing wrong?
  • RandalRandal Member
    edited November 15

Thanks for the comments.  The function I mentioned was a suggestion for Quicken.  I don't believe it is possible right now to have an archive file with the ability to add progressively add older items to that file.
  • Robert MeyerRobert Meyer Member
    edited November 15

I totally agree with having more control over the Archive Files.  In addition, I'd recommend adding a feature on the Reports that allow Users to run Reports off a designated Quicken file.  Specifically, having the ability to run a Comparison Report off the Current File against an Archived File would be so awesome.  I can keep the Working/Current Quicken small and nibble while actually using an Archived file for something really useful. 

I agree.  The archive function suggested by Randal is exactly what I have been looking for.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    An alternative to this would be to have a feature that allows you to do this manually by being able to select what can be exported from one file, then this could be imported into another. Consider adding your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

This IDEA is also found on the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Ellary KahanEllary Kahan Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have issues with the current archive function.
    1) I can't find the criteria for archiving transactions in Quicken help. So I have to come to the community for this information. Putting it in the Help would reduce the posts on the subject in the community.

2) Why wouldn't it archive un-reconciled transactions in or linked to closed accounts? If that's a problem then when an account is closed, all the transactions in that account should be marked as reconciled. For example, when I posted my paycheck, my 401K contribution went into my 401K account. That is an investment account so the transactions are never deleted. But when I retired I rolled the 401K money into an IRA and closed the 401K account. I no longer need those transactions or the links to them from my checking account. But they won't archive. For some reason those checking account transactions, going back to 2005, are not reconciled although I am sure I reconciled my checking account every month. Now I'm afraid that if I go back and manually reconcile the checking transactions it may alter my account balance.

3) Another reason for archiving transactions is to reduce the size of the file, not for performance reasons. Just to manage disk space.

4) For the reasons stated above I would not be in favor of a single archive file that keeps growing unless transactions could be deleted from that file without the  rules currently governing linked transactions, etc.
  • Robert HansenRobert Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 15

I also agree with a bit of modification:
      My file contains my data records back to when I bought Quicken in the year 2000.

I want to be able to keep 7 years of active data, archiving a file when it becomes 8 years old year, whether an account is reconciled or not.  I do NOT reconcile all accounts - I create some accounts for my own use which do not involve any outside entity for which there is neither need nor desire to reconcile.  

I used Kiplinger's program followed by Managing Your Money until BofA  gave it up and with both I could choose my archive dates and what I wanted archived.  I wish Quicken would do the same.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15

Robert, I don't know if you're using the Mac or Windows program, as they're quite a bit different. On Quicken Mac, there is not yet any archive function however, there is also less need for it than the legacy Mac and Windows programs have had. The modern Mac program is built on a modern database that can handle a huge number of transactions without getting too slow or becoming unstable, and filters in registers and reports make it pretty easy to limit what you're seeing to just the date range you want. 

(Editing to add that I'm not lobbying against Quicken building archive functionality to Quicken Mac for those who want it; I'm just noting that having many years of data is more feasible than it used to be.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • steveb5165steveb5165 Member
    How do I archive a portion of my file?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Steveb5165,

Unfortunately, the Mac version doesn't offer the ability to archive a portion of the file.

I have moved your post to an ongoing Idea thread to add this ability to the Mac version.

Idea threads are reviewed by our Development team to see what people would like Quicken to offer.

Be sure to Vote at the top of this thread!

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka