I give up with Cloud Sync and Quicken Mobile

I've given up completely with Quicken's Cloud sync to my mobile app.

Yesterday, I ran a One Step Update.  Everything ran fine.  Synced to the Cloud as it normally does during OSU.  I've had no problems for about a month syncing.  Prior to that I got the dreaded 504 error, which I corrected by validating my file and correcting some incorrectly downloaded security prices (thanks again Quicken for putting in prices with a date in the year 2038!).  

Added a few transactions...nothing out of the ordinary, including a few end of year dividends in my investment accounts.

Exited Quicken, got the usual Do you want to Sync prompt.  I said YES, as usual.  BAM! Sync Exception Error!

Reset my Quicken Cloud Data.  Same damn thing.  Reloaded my backup file from the day before.  Synced again.  Same error.

Out of frustration and the more than periodic problems with syncing to the Cloud, I finally gave up.  I deleted my Cloud data, unlinked my Cloud account, removed my iPhone Quicken app and called it a day.  I'm done with the sync problems on an almost consistent basis, with zero clue from Quicken what is wrong.  Error 504 or sync exception error tells me nothing.  What the heck is a sync exception error?

Basically, I'm done with the mobile app.  I'm never using it again.  Worst app I've ever downloaded and worst implementation to try and use it.  

I just use Mint to see my finances at a glance instead.  At least it's more reliable than the disaster Quicken's cloud is.  They really should be ashamed, with all the problems syncing.  

Quicken 2017 H&B, R3; with Windows 7 on a Mac using Parallells as a virtual machine.

Comments

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think you have stuck it out a lot longer than most SuperUsers.
  • Michael LamarMichael Lamar Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree 100% They just got me to upgrade from 2015 to 2017 thinking that would resolve my problem with Quicken Mobile. No change- (except I am out $45.) When I click on Intuit ID, Mobile & Alerts - nothing happens! I HATE QUICKEN- I wish there was another choice.- I am going to try and return the upgrade....
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I agree 100% They just got me to upgrade from 2015 to 2017 thinking that would resolve my problem with Quicken Mobile. No change- (except I am out $45.) When I click on Intuit ID, Mobile & Alerts - nothing happens! I HATE QUICKEN- I wish there was another choice.- I am going to try and return the upgrade....

"When I click on Intuit ID, Mobile & Alerts - nothing happens!"

Are you saying that you can't even see anything in that dialog or are you selecting "Get Started" and nothing happens?
    If the later, all that does is take you to the Mobile & Alerts tab.
    And if the Mobile & Alerts tab is set not to show then it will do nothing.
    Select: View -> Tabs to Show -> Mobile & Alerts

In any case here is the information about getting a refund:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms-and-Conditions-For-Exchanging-Returning-or-Refunding-Quicken-P...
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Gerry, have you been using the mobile app since its inception?

Interesting tidbit that the 2038 dated prices cause the sync to fail. Hadn't heard that one before.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

Interesting tidbit that the 2038 dated prices cause the sync to fail. Hadn't heard that one before.

Nope.  Off and on, since I can never get it to work reliably.  Duplicate transactions, budget messes, sync errors.

Since I posted this I just gave up. I rarely accessed the mobile app on my phone anyways so I finally deleted it and unlinked my Quicken Cloud account.

Just irritates me, like others, that advertised features in Quicken have so many problems.  

I also use Mint and that seems to work well both desktop and mobile.  I'm awaiting the next incarnation in the next few weeks of MintToReport for Mac, a pay add on by an outside vendor that converts your Mint .csv transaction file to usable and customizable reports.

In the future I just might give up using Quicken altogether.  Who knows?
  • AndrewAndrew Member
    edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

I did the steps that gmalis1 highlighted in another post with validating the file and correcting any of those problems.  Here are the steps here: 
    1. Make a copy of your data file.
    2. Validate your Quicken data file and correct any problems with your file.  For example, I had several securities with a downloaded price date of 2038!  I deleted those prices.
    3. Then, EDIT > PREFERENCES > Inuit ID, Mobile & Alerts > Reset your cloud data.

Then if you are still having trouble, as I was, try the following.

I was getting this error in Quicken 2017 and I managed to solve it with some edits to my quicken accounts. So, in troubleshooting this issue with Quicken support - I went to Edit>preferences>Intuit ID and Mobile & Alerts>reset your cloud data, so I was starting fresh with the clean cloud file. 

Then, I went to the Mobile&Alerts tab in Quicken and added one account at a time to the cloud sync and then would run the sync.  One at a time I was able to sync my accounts without error until I was able to isolate the http-504 issue to one of my particular accounts, my Visa account in fact. 
    Quicken 2017 Support told me this error is a timeout issue that occurs with the server.  Support informed me to keep trying to sync my account and it would hopefully work when the server was less busy. This didn't work no matter how many times I tried, at different times of the day.  

So I looked into the one account - visa - that was causing the timeout. I discovered that it had more than 2500 entries.  (To do this you can click on the account so it displays in the window and look at the bottom left and it will tell you the number of entries.)  So I experimented with creating a new account and calling it "Visa New".  Then I would highlight a bunch of new quicken entries and move them to the new file.  (It is easier to move less entries [500+records] to a New Visa account then move 1900+ entries to an Old Visa Account) When moving the records, I would do roughly 50 at a time, I had to click ok on each move window - which was a complete pain, - but I got through it.  

I moved the new entries until the remaining entries in the file I was moving from were below 2000... in my case it was 1929 entries and I moved the rest to the New Visa account.  Then I attempted to cloud sync the Visa account with the older entries (the one with 1929 records) and it worked.  I then tried to sync the new visa account which had 500+ entries and it also worked.  I think the timeout issue occurs with accounts greater than 2000 entries... I wish the Quicken error would have told me that originally, but it works for me now.  Hope this helps others.  

best, Andrew