Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Quicken Automatically Changing Budget Values

I'm using Quicken 2015 R11.  Spend hours/days setting up my budget for 2017.  Every time I open Quicken and go to look at my budget it's all screwed up.  There are random values all over the place and I have to hunt them down to fix everything.  This problem is absurd.  As one other individual posted, can you please release a preference option for "Do not automatically or arbitrarily change my budget values."?

...I saw a number of posts about the Mobile Sync possibly causing the problem.  I did some testing with sync'ing/not sync'ing and now I can't reproduce this problem at all.  It's been happening throughout the last few days...maybe it's a temporary issue but once you reset it a few times it goes away???

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Let's make sure you have all the required software updates installed.

Quicken US version:

-
    "2014 ... Release R10",  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2014-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- "2015 ... Release R12",  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- "2016 ... Release R10", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- "2017 ... Release R3(or higher)", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Quicken Canada
    version:

-
    2014 ... Release R4

- 2015 ... Release R3

- 2016 ... Release R2

- 2017 ... not yet available

Quicken Canada users: Do not download the patch or Mondo Patch files in the
    above links. They apply to Quicken US users only. Instead, scroll down the
    webpage to the Quicken Canada section and download the file hiding behind a
    clickable word "here".

Please do this:

Locate the Mondo Patch file or
    Canada patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links
    above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step:

Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click "Run as Administrator"
    to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I have all the required updates installed and I spoke too soon regarding not being able to reproduce the problem.  It happened to me again.  It seems that the most frequent area effected is the "Everything Else" line item.  I personally find this useless and am irritated I can't turn this off, especially since most of the time there's an "automatic budget change" this is the line item affected.

Regardless, the problem persists.  I had to retool my budget again today.
  • Todd SheltonTodd Shelton Member
    edited January 2019
    I had the same problem and the root cause was syncing my budget with the mobile app. Since I stopped syncing budget with mobile app, I've had no issues. Doesn't seem to be any interest in fixing this issue. 
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the feedback Todd.  That's a real shame because the mobile app is a huge factor in using the budget features in Quicken for me.  I might need to investigate alternatives.  You're not the first person I've seen post on this forum regarding there being a lack of interest in fixing this problem.
  • Todd SheltonTodd Shelton Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes it limits what could be a very useful feature. Instead of my wife just looking at her phone to see amounts in our budget categories, I have to print it weekly and give her a paper copy. Frustrating to say the least.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    That is *exactly* what I was hoping to use it for. So my wife can look at her phone and see what she's got to work with when she's out and about. Tragic. Thanks for the idea of printing it. Better than nothing I suppose.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I am not using the mobile app but the values in my budget have changed since my November report. Also, the categories that I use in my report have changed. Quicken has all available updates. Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again and fix this without re-entering the values?
    Darlene
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I recently upgraded to quicken 2017 and also have this problem. Budget changes randomly on it's own and I have to keep fixing it
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Me too. Spent my $60 or whatever to upgrade to 2017 hoping that would fix the problem but it did not.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Just to echo on your comment. I was having that issue with Quicken 2008 and 2011 and that's is why I stopped using the application. I hope the issue will be fixed because I'm trying the new version this year instead of Excel.

It seems like Quicken is trying to auto-adjust your budget if you over spend on a particular category.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but it seems that most of the time the issues are with the Everything Else budget line.  In the Annual View, I click the gear and select "Apply Jan budget forward to the end of 2017".  This works to quickly reset all the "Everything Else" boxes to $0.  I still have to go through and confirm the EOM budgets are the same $ amount and there are still a few issues throughout.

This whole thing is so stupid.  Such a glaring and obvious flaw.

One other thing I noticed is that this issue only occurs after you've entered something on the Mobile App.  If you open Quicken and review your budget before you download mobile transactions you can see the errors it creates and correct them.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I also have to add that I think this problem has actually gotten worse since upgrading to Quicken 2017.  I used to have to fix everything once I downloaded the mobile transactions, but then it was fine.  Tonight, I've sync'd three times now and every time I do the transactions are all screwed up.  The really dumb thing is, they're screwed up differently every time, so there isn't even a rhyme or reason to it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    After re-entering all of my budget values again and selecting the categories that I want to see, I created a duplicate of the budget so hopefully I will have a back-up if needed. Has anyone tried this with or without success?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017

Just to echo on your comment. I was having that issue with Quicken 2008 and 2011 and that's is why I stopped using the application. I hope the issue will be fixed because I'm trying the new version this year instead of Excel.

It seems like Quicken is trying to auto-adjust your budget if you over spend on a particular category.

Note the Quicken 2011 and below budget system is completely different animal.
    In Quicken 2012 they totally rewrote the budget system.  And then in Quicken 2013 they did most of it again because of people didn't like it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017

After re-entering all of my budget values again and selecting the categories that I want to see, I created a duplicate of the budget so hopefully I will have a back-up if needed. Has anyone tried this with or without success?

That's a great idea. I'm going to give that a go next time I'm in Quicken.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jonathan said:

I also have to add that I think this problem has actually gotten worse since upgrading to Quicken 2017.  I used to have to fix everything once I downloaded the mobile transactions, but then it was fine.  Tonight, I've sync'd three times now and every time I do the transactions are all screwed up.  The really dumb thing is, they're screwed up differently every time, so there isn't even a rhyme or reason to it.

""Tonight, I've sync'd three times now and every time I do the transactions are all screwed up. "

Even though there is at least one person on this thread that said that they don't use mobile and their budget numbers still get messed up, when I see a statement like this and sort of know what a mobile sync does, you have to figure that mobile has to be most of the problem.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited January 2017

It will be interesting to see if this works.  Quicken's mobile sync only suppose to be syncing with that one budget (and only from Desktop to server).  So if only that one budget gets messed up that would be a big indication that this isn't something "global".  In a way that would be "comforting" knowing that it as least isn't affecting other parts of Quicken's data file.

What Quicken Inc really needs is talk to people that have this problem and see if they will let them work with them (and there data) to get at the heart of the problem.

I have seen this reported several times over the years in the Quicken forums, but I don't remember seeing it in the betas.  But that might only be that when a problem requires access to a persons data like this kind of problem would, that bug is made private.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I am using Quicken 2016 and have this problem. I can't say exactly when it started, but at some point my budget was just wrong. It indicated that my wife expected no salary, no rental income, and random values for other categories. I looked back and it's deleted or changed values going back years. My wife's salary is zero back as far as my data goes according to this as is rental incomes etc. I painstakingly went back and re-entered budget info going back as far as I cared to and by the time I got through a couple categories it had reset everything I'd done before. Yes, I did save periodically. Things look fine, then just reset to whatever value was there before I started all this. I turned off mobile synch - this didn't help, the behavior continues. I'm at my wits end with this since I have always used budgets. I hate to go back to iBank, it had its own issues, but at least it didn't do this to me. Any other thoughts about fixing this? Intuit has to recognize this as a serious flaw; has anyone seen that they intend to address it?
This discussion has been closed.