Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

QMac 2017: Unable to delete a security in Q17 for Mac

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Mac)
Using Q17 for Mac. I am unable to remove a security from the list (msg about active transactions). When I search for this security in my transactions, none are found. I may once have added the security (BSVIX) by mistake but then corrected the transaction.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I have gotten similar messages. The only way I have been able to remove a security that has no transactions is to merge it with an existing security making sure to pick the proper one so the security name and symbol is the one you want to keep. Before doing this make the security you are trying to remove has no downloaded quotes or those old quotes may be added to the security you are keeping.
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    I would also look in the Securities list and search for the english name of the security and not it's ticker symbol. See if any transactions get pulled up.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    This is a common issue for folks who have imported their security data from QW. Qm thinks the security is still active. What I have done is eliminate the quote s downloads for securities that have long ago been deemed not in use, this way I don't have to watch tons of security prices being updated. In QW one could hide this "not used" securities ..Would be nice if we could do the same in QM
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    Two things come to mind:

1) when you search the Investing group register for the security, you need to search by name (Baird SmallCap Value Institutional), not symbol.

2) there may be a transaction in a hidden account that will not show up in the search. You may have to unhide accounts to find it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Same problem, after upgrading from Q07 I have a security that can't be deleted. I have tried selling it and deleting buy transactions to try and zero it out but it still shows in the portfolio with no change in shares - even though you can see the transactions in the transaction window. Very frustrating and is making Q17 useless for me.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Rick O's reply worked for me:

"when you search the Investing group register for the security, you need to search by name (Baird SmallCap Value Institutional), not symbol."
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017

Rick O's reply worked for me:

"when you search the Investing group register for the security, you need to search by name (Baird SmallCap Value Institutional), not symbol."

That is what I meant by "the english name, not it's ticker symbol"
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Same problem, after upgrading from Q07 I have a security that can't be deleted. I have tried selling it and deleting buy transactions to try and zero it out but it still shows in the portfolio with no change in shares - even though you can see the transactions in the transaction window. Very frustrating and is making Q17 useless for me.

I have this problem also.  I have about 10 stocks that appear in several of my accounts that no longer exist, but they show up in my portfolio and mess up my numbers.  Quicken says that we cannot delete transaction/stocks that came from the bank online download.  That does not make sense to me, cause they sent the wrong info.
  • DAVID CARR
    DAVID CARR Member
    edited April 2017

I have the same problem and it is maddening because I cannot make my numbers agree with Morgan Stanley.
  • DAVID CARR
    DAVID CARR Member
    edited April 2017

I was trying to reconcile my March 31, 2017 Morgan Stanley Portfolio Report with my Quicken numbers and found several securities that should have been removed from the totals because they were no longer held.  I shared everyone’s frustration with this situation and decided to experiment.  So I looked at one of the offending stocks which showed 6 shares outstanding with an investment total of $308.90.  So I decided to “Sell” those six shares on March 31, 2017 to see what would happen.  Lo and behold the security disappeared from my portfolio listing.  I did this with all of the stocks that were appearing in my portfolio in error and it worked very time.  The transaction is very simple.  

Click the Transactions button which appears next to the Portfolio button, Then in the Top Menu Click on Transactions then New Transaction.  The transaction screen appears and you then fill in the Date, whether it’s a Buy or Sell then the Name of the Security that you want to delete.  You only need to enter the Total of the Transaction and the number of shares involved and the Price per Share will automatically be calculated and shown.  Just click Save and move on to the next transaction.

Some of my ‘bad’ securities showed a negative number in shares and in Market Value.  In those cases I did the reverse, that is I “Bought” the security instead of “Sold” as in the first paragraph.

I realize that this kind of action probably messes up something else important but if you want to agree your Quicken portfolio with that of your broker then this will work.