Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

*BUG* - RPM 2017 - Spending Tab doesn't include Rental/Business Expenses

Sorry for the duplication.  I submitted a detailed issue a couple of days ago (https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/rpm-2017-rental-expenses-excluded-from-spending-...).  Tried to edit the Title to add the word "Bug" and see if it would get any traction, but didn't see how I could edit it.  So now I'm entering a new issue and hoping for some help.

I have done everything I can try to make this work.  Spent 90 minutes on chat, which only confirmed that my data is fine and that there is clearly a bug in the Rental Property Manager Spending Tab.  Now sitting on hold to see if "talking" (rather than chatting) will get me anywhere.  CS in Chat suggested that I go back to the Community for help, so...  Please help??  

Is there a bug fix scheduled for this issue?  Or do I just need to revert back to a previous version where the Spending Tab worked properly?  Either way, I can't continue with a non-functioning Spending Tab.  

Anyone??  Thank you!!

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    AHHHHH - OK, got it.  The spending tab dropdown now defaults to "Spending without taxes" which  excludes all tax-deductible expenses.  What?  Seems like a really silly default - especially for Rental Property Manager (or anyone running a business) to exclude rental expenses, but who am I to say??  

I'm hoping there's a way to change this default setting, as it will be annoying to have to change it every single time.  But at least it is no longer preventing me from being able to search/filter business expenses.  Whew!

Ideally, a non-urgent bug fix (or enhancement) would be to change that default setting.  Unless others find it highly preferable to exclude some of your spending??  Even in personal business, I don't want all of my charitable giving, education expenses, etc. filtered out by default...  My two cents.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

AHHHHH - OK, got it.  The spending tab dropdown now defaults to "Spending without taxes" which  excludes all tax-deductible expenses.  What?  Seems like a really silly default - especially for Rental Property Manager (or anyone running a business) to exclude rental expenses, but who am I to say??  

I'm hoping there's a way to change this default setting, as it will be annoying to have to change it every single time.  But at least it is no longer preventing me from being able to search/filter business expenses.  Whew!

Ideally, a non-urgent bug fix (or enhancement) would be to change that default setting.  Unless others find it highly preferable to exclude some of your spending??  Even in personal business, I don't want all of my charitable giving, education expenses, etc. filtered out by default...  My two cents.

No there is no setting to force the setting to be 'Spending with taxes'.

This was brought up before in beta testing. Most of the beta testers agreed that it was the wrong default or at least it should remember the choice the next time Quicken is started but, as you found, Quicken hasn't changed it.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Encouraging to know that others felt the same.  Discouraging to know that it was not a priority fix.  But I'm sure there are many other legit "bugs" competing for resources.  :-/  Thanks for the history though!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Reminds me of why starting a new data file has its pluses and minuses.
    In another thread there is a discussion on hiding old account names in the category lists.  It seems that in most old data files they never get hidden even when you select to hide a given account from "transaction lists".  But in a new data files it does work.

Well in my data file, it remembers that I have selected (it is "sticky"), and doesn't default to Spending without taxes.  But in a new data file is defaults back to Spending without taxes on each start of Quicken.  Why it does this in my data file is just as much a mystery as why the "hide function" doesn't work.

BTW I think the whole "Spending without taxes" option is "marketing/design" mistake.
    Some customer(s) probably didn't want to see "taxes" in their spending and asked for this, but I would bet they weren't talking about their deductions.

The problem comes in when you try to translate "don't show taxes".  Not only is the statement really vague, Quicken basically has no easy way to determine this.  And as such it got translated no categories connected to a tax line item.  Which I believe is a lot different than what was probably the original request "don't show taxes".

And what's worse is that somehow Quicken Inc falls in love with these ideas for features and makes them the default.  For 99% of their user's Spend should have been the default even if they were not going to make the setting "sticky".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Drum roll!  I found the magic!

As is turns out this setting is following this preference:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Register -> Remember register filters after Quicken closes
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Hey, it worked!!  Are you kidding me?  I spent 90+ minutes on the phone and live chat with two different CSRs and neither one could tell me this solution.  I guess the best advice they gave me was, "You should post to the Community and see if someone there can help you."  LOL.  Sad that they can't just spend a little more to train their CSRs...  But THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a show-stopper.  But who needs another little annoyance?  Appreciate your help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Hey, it worked!!  Are you kidding me?  I spent 90+ minutes on the phone and live chat with two different CSRs and neither one could tell me this solution.  I guess the best advice they gave me was, "You should post to the Community and see if someone there can help you."  LOL.  Sad that they can't just spend a little more to train their CSRs...  But THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  In the grand scheme of things, this wasn't a show-stopper.  But who needs another little annoyance?  Appreciate your help!

To put this in perspective.

I just discovered it playing around with the old and new data file.
    It was brought in the a beta, actually in two different betas (different years) and no one (including me) thought to question why my data file worked and others reporting the problem didn't.  We all just chocked it up to old vs new data file.

I started using Quicken 1991, I'm a software developer, I have been answers questions on this Quicken forum sites for years, and done years of Quicken betas.

What chance did the CSRs have?

It just dawned on me that it is in fact a "register filter" and then the option made sense.
This discussion has been closed.