Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to export the Lifetime Planner's plan.

Philip107
Philip107 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken 2017 Premier, Windows 10

I don't see a way to export all the data from the complete plan. What you can do is click on an individual year to get the Income and Expense dialog to popup for that year. From here you can click the Print link and then select the export radio button.From the export drop down you can select the tab-delimited choice. This will print a tab delimited text file to your hard drive where you can then save that to Excel or whatever. Do this for each year and you'll have the entire plan.

I took it one step further and found I could use a screen macro program to have it automatically step through this process and create a file for each year in the plan automatically. The program I used is called Pulover's Macro Creator. It takes just a couple minutes for the macro to complete. I then created a small VB.NET program that consolidates all the individual tab delimited files into one tab file that I then import into Excel. I ended up having an Excel spreadsheet for my entire Plan. It is absolutely a must when you want to study the entire plan and observe the cash flow that is being prescribed.

My plan, out to the year 2055, prints out in landscape on 2 legal sizes pages. I would urge Quicken to add an export feature to create this tab delimited output with one click.

-phil

(Please Preserve-Part of an active Idea)
Quicken User since 1998
Tagged:
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• SandraStowell
    SandraStowell Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You can probably sell that macro :-)  
    PTArtist.com
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Phil, nice trick using a macro to retrieve the individual year data. I've tried saving to tab delimited text files and compiling the individual text files into a spreadsheet a time or two, but it's quite an effort.

I recall you used to be able to export/print the Lifetime Planner data quite a few year versions ago, but had heard they disabled that feature as professional financial planners were using it to create financial plans.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
     I'm missing something here. (OK, I'm not much of an Excel user).
    What exactly do you achieve by printing out your plan  in landscape on 2 legal sizes pages full of Excel spreadsheet cells values.?
    I suppose you want to use Excel for some kind of analysis.
    What would that be ?
  • SandraStowell
    SandraStowell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Sometimes that is the only way to catch Quicken errors, and is the best way to check your own mistakes.  There have been reports that Quicken has bugs (!) and does not always follow the plan assumptions correctly... and sometimes you may fail to remove or update assumptions.  It is important to be able to print and review the data in various different ways if you want to have some confidence in your plan!
    PTArtist.com
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Sometimes that is the only way to catch Quicken errors, and is the best way to check your own mistakes.  There have been reports that Quicken has bugs (!) and does not always follow the plan assumptions correctly... and sometimes you may fail to remove or update assumptions.  It is important to be able to print and review the data in various different ways if you want to have some confidence in your plan!

Good answer!
    Quicken User since 1998
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Phil, that is quite an exercise.  I am using Quicken 2018 for WIN10, and have used Quicken for MANY years.  I find the lifetime planner (LTP) an excellent tool.  However, I am disappointed that I cannot easily capture the results.  The LTP is akin to the annual budget, but with a longer time frame.  Where the annual budget is a forecast of an "income statement," the LTP is, effectively, forecasting your balance sheet into the latter years.

Unfortunately, the LTP automatically changes every time you open it, changing as it incorporates the new investment balances of "the day," assuming no other parameter changes to the underlying assumptions.  Obviously, changing retirement dates, returns, salaries, etc., will also affect the new LTP picture.

This does not help the interest of wanting to compare plan to actual over a one year or five year horizon.  By comparing the changing elements, the user can adjust his/her financial behavior to maximize his/her financial goals.

Rather than linking bills to Quicken (a cute but small value feature), a little effort on the LTP functionality would provide greater value to Quicken customers.
  • SandraStowell
    SandraStowell Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I concur with Mike S. 

I would love to have better visibility of the Lifetime Planner data, including the changes that happen over time.  And the reality is that I will never take the time to extract the date piece by piece into a spreadsheet, or build the macros to understand it better:   Phil's "solution" does not work for most of us.  We are just not quite that motivated or conscientious. 
    PTArtist.com
This discussion has been closed.