Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Expense transactions reporting as income on several reports

Unknown
Unknown Member
In the following reports: "This Month" and "Category Summary" several expense transactions are showing as Income. Anyone else seeing this issue?  If I go to "Window > Categories" and look at my "Mortgage & Rent" for example, the Type column is "Expense"

Yet, when I view the "This Month" report I am seeing it as Income. Could it be because I have a transfer from my Checking (cash account) to my Debt account?

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Transfers should not show up in the Category Summary except down at the bottom. If you see them within the upper part of the report, I would verify that the transfer transx are correctly setup.

The "This Month" will show both sides of the transfer in the respective account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Hate having to QA software I paid for. I figured it out, any custom category I have created, an expense (negative amount) will show in the "Money In" section of the  "Category Summary" report. Bug is still in version 2007 (4.4.3). I created an expense account "HOA" deleted, recreated it, all the expenses I have show as "Money In" i.e.:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    same issue when I have all Accounts/Categories/Tags selected.

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2020

I understand why you omitted the balances, but without seeing that, nobody can determine if those amount should be showing as Money In (they are entered as a cash inflow versus expense-the net total of "Home" will determine if it is money in or money out.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Good points, I've found the reporting to generally be buggy on Mac.

As soon as I recategorize the transaction to a pre-defined expense category that came with the software, the line item correctly moves to the Money Out section. my "cleaning 2" was testing my theory. Any transaction I put with that, goes in Money In, on this report.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Here is another example, the total for "Credit Card Payment" doesn't match the transactions. Perhaps I entered it wrong, but when I see a total of 2361 and the detail below would be net zero, it is confusing.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    I am having the same problem. I am using Quicken Mac 4.4.3. I have an income category called bonus. This is then added to my budget. For months with no transactions, this category on the budget shows up as $0 under the expenses section! For months with a transaction, the category on the budget shows up in the income section. Which is dead wrong.

I also have an expense called vacation, which is added to my budget. If there is a "negative" expense (meaning I have more money in for that category then money out in a certain month - due to a refund hitting in a different month, for example) - then on the budget monthly view the expense will show up in the income section! I don't want that.

Is this a bug? feature?
  • eddieksf
    eddieksf Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I am having this problem on quicken for mac 2015, checked the "category" edit and definitely says "expense" but shows up in a transaction report under "money in" ???

Has this been fixed in 2017 for the mac, and is there a fix for 2015. I note that the last reply was 5 months ago, have you dropped support for this issue ?????
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2020

Transfers should not show up in the Category Summary except down at the bottom. If you see them within the upper part of the report, I would verify that the transfer transx are correctly setup.

The "This Month" will show both sides of the transfer in the respective account.

I was able to Fix this.  The key was to change the category so it doesn't start with the previous category name. For example, I set up eBay sales as "eBay:sales" in Quicken.
    However, when I added an expense, like Postage, under "eBay:postage" it also appears under INCOME.  The fix was to change the category to "Postage:eBay" as an expense. I hope this makes sense.

• lee.zar
    lee.zar Member
    I had the same problem. I found that the missing categories were being organized under the "Money In" group instead of "Money Out". I think the issue arose because I had a POSITIVE amount in an EXPENSE sub-category (i.e. a CREDIT). This caused the entire major category and all related sub-categories to be treated as "Money In" and not an expenditure. This is the first time such a condition caused this problem, but removing that credit corrected the report.

Here's how I discovered the transaction that triggered the problem. I created a new major category and related sub-categories, then individually reclassified the affected transactions to use the new categories. I found that after I had moved the one CREDIT transaction that triggered the problem, all the other transactions that were in the old category re-appeared in the report under Money Out. I was then able to re-characterize the transactions already moved to the new categories back to the original sub-categories except for the CREDIT transaction which I left orphaned.

I want to give credit to Quicken support (Carmen) who helped me determine the cause of the problem. Hopefully, Quicken can come up with a permanent fix.
This discussion has been closed.