Clear all split lines with keyboard shortcut BEFORE entering split (for UKR)

Want to clear all split lines (for autofill transactions) from keyboard without having to first enter the splits (where there IS a "Clear all split lines" button, but then i'm still left within the split and I don't want a split). Current only way is to find and click with mouse on the little X icon and then click Yes. Tedious! I can't believe this hasn't been implemented. Apparently for Mac QUicken there is a keyboard shortcut to Clear all autofill data; that would help. But not for Windows. I'm using QUicken 2016 R10, for Windows (7). Thanks
2 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    There used to be a keyboard shortcut for Windows, ALT X, but it stopped working a few versions ago.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Charles,
    I see you've been asking about this for the last couple of years and nobody listened.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/clear-all-splits-in-a-transaction-quicken-mac-20...
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/there-is-an-x-that-can-be-used-to-clear-all-spli...

Sounds to me like the developers should consider this a request for change in a future version of Quicken for Windows.
    Maybe we can get Alt-X or a similar keystroke function revived.
    I'll see if I can get the Community moderator to mark this message thread as an "Idea".
    Ideas are said to be brought to the attention of the developers.

Meanwhile, how about setting up a "skeleton" Memorized Payee List entry for this payee, i.e., one without any categories, amount $0.00 and marked as "locked".
    When you need to enter a new transaction for this payee, select the skeleton transaction without categories and fill in the single category entry or new splits as needed. No need to undo a prior transaction's split categories.

HTH,
    UKR
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

There used to be a keyboard shortcut for Windows, ALT X, but it stopped working a few versions ago.

Unfortunate...on QMac it is OPTION-TAB when entering the Payee...when you tab out the Payee field, all other fields are cleared automatically. An equivalent on QWin could be ALT-TAB?
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

No, smayer97.
    ALT-TAB in Windows switches between applications.
    ALT-X with a Split transaction highlighted just plays a "bong" sound. No action.

Back to the programmers we go.

And, everybody, please VOTE on this Idea if you think it should be implemented.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018

I completely agree!  It is tedious, now.  It was so easy a few versions ago.  I don't want to have to go into the split in order to delete it--that just creates additional steps.  PLEASE bring back the ALT-X shortcut.  I don't understand why that shortcut was removed.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    Well, I'm back and still frustrated by this seemingly simple request. I hoped the latest version (now Quicken 2017 'Deluxe', R10, Build 26.1.10.8 on Windows 10) and update might fix it, but no. I don't know how to get developers to notice. Maybe a phone call is better than this? And UKR, I do appreciate your suggestion of setting up 'skeleton' (template?) payee but I'd have to do that for every payee that might show up with an autofill. Just maddening to have to find the little red 'x' and click it and then yes, etc. PLUS, the buttons/icons/little red 'x' get vanishingly small on my laptop and even on desktop on Win10 (has to do with screen res. i know, but still frustrating). Oh well...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    And here I am yet again, June 2018, using Quicken 2018 (subscription version -- should be some benefit to that). WHY isn't this being re-implemented. Someone please figure out a way to get this to a developer's/programmer's ear. There are several threads about this, some having been closed to0 comment. IT'S STILL A REAL NEED! Those who say "Just use the red x" miss the point -- we want to be able clear split lines with a single keyboard click (NOT mouse, which in any case requires TWO mouse clicks, vs. a single keyboard click). Though I'm not very hopoeful, I do feel a bit better at having re-posted this. thanks to Carmen, Jackie, UKR, mshiggins... others. cpg
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please give us back the keyboard shortcut to Clear Split Transaction!!!!!.

Keyboard Shortcut - 
    Wouldn't it be a great idea if Quicken gave us back the keyboard shortcut to clear split transactions!!!????  I am NOT referring to "Clear All Split Lines" within the split transaction module.  

Back in the day, all we had to do was hit "Alt x" and Enter, and we were back to single category mode, without our hands ever having to leave the keyboard.  Now, we are forced to navigate, with our mouse, to the small, red "x" and then confirm again; then move hands back to the keyboard again.

Using Quicken for data entry, keyboard shortcuts are invaluable and a huge time-saver.

PLEASE reconsider, and bring back this keyboard shortcut.

THANK YOU!!!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please give us back the keyboard shortcut to Clear Split Transaction!!!!!.

Keyboard Shortcut - 
    Wouldn't it be a great idea if Quicken gave us back the keyboard shortcut to clear split transactions!!!????  I am NOT referring to "Clear All Split Lines" within the split transaction module.  

Back in the day, all we had to do was hit "Alt x" and Enter, and we were back to single category mode, without our hands ever having to leave the keyboard.  Now, we are forced to navigate, with our mouse, to the small, red "x" and then confirm again; then move hands back to the keyboard again.

Using Quicken for data entry, keyboard shortcuts are invaluable and a huge time-saver.

PLEASE reconsider, and bring back this keyboard shortcut.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you, Carmen! I wish I knew of a way to get this to the attention of someone who could do something it surely can't be much of a cleaner to a competent programmer, especially since it used to exist! If they don't want Alt-X because of its other use in Windows, they can surely find another letter. Charles
  • msclark53
    msclark53 Member
    I agree!!! Come on Quicken and make the shortcut.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote on Ideas!

A Community Moderator changed this discussion to an Idea.
    Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

Everyone, including the person who initiated this discussion …
    If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.
    Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from grey to black when you have registered your vote.

Every vote counts!

For additional information about idea posts please read  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind my call to the voting booth from earlier this morning ...
    Revisiting this situation using Q Windows 2020 at the latest release level, R 25.18
    • A register transaction that has been recorded with a Split has a small "X" button to clear all Split lines
    • The Alt-X keyboard shortcut also works and brings up the "Clear all Split lines?" dialog
    So, I believe, we may mark this one as implemented. Case closed.
    Thank you, programmers.
This discussion has been closed.