Problem downloading from Capital One

This seems to be a reoccurring problem. I have found several questions about this issue.  It is happening to me as of 2/4/2017.  Called Cap One support they claim they are not having problems. I am able to access Cap One account online with the same info store in Quicken 2017 One Step Update. Using Windows 10.  Current on all updates. Also tried an account reset in Quicken.  No error code displayed.

Comments

• bobmeyerbobmeyer Member
    edited February 2017
    I have this since installing 2017 update - worked fine before (although a few years ago it also happened with an update).  2 times (out of many more) it popped up and asked how I wanted an code sent but didn;t send it????
  • shotgunzshotgunz Member
    edited January 22
    Quicken has got to be the most frustrating program in the world.

Everything works fine for a few days, and BAM!, it craps again.  Error messages are useless.  Troubleshooting tips are even more useless.

If a another company would develop a functional and stable financial program, it would sell millions of copies and we could finally put a fork in Quicken.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited January 22
    I just got the same problem as bobmeyer described.  Quicken "acted" like it continued processing a download even though a code was never sent after Quicken stated that Capital One requested it.
    I'm hoping this is some weekend web update processing that affects their Card Services similar to the announcement at https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-issue-adding-accounts-with-capital-one 
    and will eventually be resolved.
    I posted an issue about this as well.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/capital-one-download-update-asking-for-one-time-...
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
    edited February 2017
    shotgunz said:

Everything works fine for a few days, and BAM!, it craps again.  Error messages are useless.  Troubleshooting tips are even more useless.

If a another company would develop a functional and stable financial program, it would sell millions of copies and we could finally put a fork in Quicken.

Even though Quicken has bugs or unwanted behavior, it is quite sophisticated software that includes established transaction download relationships with most financial institutions.  That may be why they don't have a lot of competition.  Just building those relationships could be a major undertaking.
  • RobMRobM Member
    edited January 2018
    I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.
  • EdEd Member
    edited March 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

To touch upon RobM's answer above (which is correct as I too was experiencing the same issue this morning), I was sent the Cap One email with the numerical code during the de-activate re-activate process. If I tried running a one step update or even refreshing the branding and profile for Cap One, I did not receive the email and code. 

During the reactivate process, I input the code that was finally sent to me and activated/linked my accounts. Once activated, I ran a One step update to make sure I did not have to go through that again, I did receive the pop up asking if I wanted the code from cap one sent to me again, I selected my email, and the accounts updated successfully w/o the code. 

I included some visuals to give an idea of what I saw -

imageimage

Also here are the deactivate reactivate instructions:

Go to  Tools >Account List, click Edit for account you need to change. Click Online Services tab, Deactivate. Then use set up online services to reactivate. As you go through the login process, you will be asked to Add/Link/Ignore the existing account(s) found. Choose LINK (NOT Add) and carefully match the account found during the login process to your Quicken account.

P.S

I suggest taking a quick glance at the updated accounts, I found two duplicate transactions (not 100% sure if this was because of the update or because I never caught them before)

• RobMRobM Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

Just an FYI, if you have the account bar on the left side up, you can right click on the account you want to work with by choosing "Edit/Delete Account" then going through the "Online Access Tab." Just a shortcut...thought I would mention. :) Sorry I wasn't able to provide screenshots since mine were already completed. :)
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited June 2017
    QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So no joy as of 13:40 (EST) on Monday
    edited January 22
    Kevlar,  I also experienced the request for a code again after following Robm's instructions and after C1 provided several downloads without request for a code.  So, it seems still some sort of problem in communication between C1 and Quicken.
  • jkcarpjkcarp Member
    edited March 2017
    CapitalOne just updated their security backend and Quicken is not yet updated to work with it correctly. CapitalOne is working with Quicken on the issue per a CapitalOne online banking CSR tonight. We of course don't know this because of Quicken non-existent customer communication skills.
    edited February 2017
    jkcarp said:

CapitalOne just updated their security backend and Quicken is not yet updated to work with it correctly. CapitalOne is working with Quicken on the issue per a CapitalOne online banking CSR tonight. We of course don't know this because of Quicken non-existent customer communication skills.

Yep, that's the info I got from Capital One today as well. Session went downhill when Cap One tried to conference in a Quicken Support person....we had to go to the VERY beginning of the notebook (are you in front of your computer? what is your name? etc) before Quicken wanted to do a share screen. Rather than tie up Cap One and Quicken I took down a case # from Quicken and will call when I have a free hour or so. It's frustrating because a simple "Known Issue and Workaround" alert would have meant that many of us could have waited before contacting either Cap One or Quicken. Growing pains for Quicken I guess
  • jkcarpjkcarp Member
    edited February 2017
    jkcarp said:

I don't buy "growing pains" for Quicken. Intuit or not, Eric Dunn has run Quicken for a long time and their ability to proactively communicate to customers has been inexcusable for years. As of tonight they still don't have information on this site about any Capital One issues except for when adding accounts. Their social media has nothing. It's disrespectful of customer's time and energy.
  • edited February 2017
    shotgunz said:

I beg to disagree, Quicken works fine for me it may have some occasional glitch like any other software but so far the best financial software for me
  • Tim ReichweinTim Reichwein Member
    edited February 2017
    I normally wait 8 - 10 months to update to a newer version of Quicken to give them a chance to de-bug the software. I foolishly upgraded from 2016 to 2017 way too early and am also experiencing the same Capital One connection issues. No manner of deactivating/reactivating has worked. Security codes are received randomly, but do not help to solve the problem. Of course, Quicken will not announce when there is a resolution, let alone the existence of the problem.
  • NancyNancy Member
    edited April 2017
    I've got the same problem with Quicken 2015, so I don't think this is an upgrade issue, it's Quicken sitting on their hands and not adjusting to meet the requirements of Capital One's changes.
  • Scott BrownScott Brown Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I've performed this task above 3 times in the last week. CapitalOne works during the Quicken session, but as soon as I exit and reopen Quicken, the problem retruns, and can hang Quicken if it attempts to reset the account are made. This is Quicken 2015.

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017
    Or maybe the people who changed the login procedure at Capital One didn't notify Quicken.  Is that not possible?
  • spopielaspopiela Member
    edited February 2017
    I have the problem with the latest Q16
  • qc03547qc03547 Member
    edited February 2017
    My login in Capital One stopped working about a week ago.  I have tried everything mentioned on this board and nothing works.  Just keep getting the "Connectivity Problems" message.  I have tried resetting several times and just get same message.  All my other accounts update and work fine.  Anyone have and other suggestions?
  • Kevin StewartKevin Stewart Member
    edited February 2017

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So no joy as of 13:40 (EST) on Monday

sounds similar. I tried to deactivate and reactivate.  got a code that way during reactivation.  but when I put it in and hit continue - get a fatal error and quicken crashes.  Have to completely restart.  sent tweets to quicken using #badquicken if enough of us do they might change their support
  • Kevin StewartKevin Stewart Member
    edited April 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Or maybe the people who changed the login procedure at Capital One didn't notify Quicken.  Is that not possible?

yes that is possible.  However sounds like a cop out to me.  we are using quicken not capital one.  Quicken needs to get together and resolve it for their customers, if they cared, they would figure out how to alert us and track the issue.  you can always use the work around and manually download the transactions till they fix it.
  • jpgolanjpgolan Member
    edited February 2017
    shotgunz said:

While I am not going to dispute your praise of Quicken but I do note that you joined this discussion group only a week ago.
  • utahutah Member
    edited April 2017
    Capital
    One provides instructions for reactivating downloads, but they do not work for
    me at least.  To see the instructions,
    logon to Capital One and type ‘Quicken’ in the search box to get the following:

“Existing Quicken® Users

We recently made an important update to our servicing
    site, so if you’re an existing Quicken® user, you’ll need to modify your
    settings to ensure the smooth transition of your financial data.

Next time you sign in to your account follow these
    instructions:

1. Choose
      Accounts, and then select Download Transactions—you’ll see an alert for
      Quicken® & Quickbooks®.
    2. Click the
      Quicken® Reactivation link.
    3. On the next
      page, choose your software version and follow the steps listed to prevent
      duplication of transaction data.

New Customers or Quicken® Users

If you’re a new Capital One customer or if you’re setting
    up Quicken® or Quickbooks® for the first time, please follow the software's
    instructions to add a new account.”

For
    me, choosing Accounts, then Download Transactions does not bring up an alert
    for Quicken.  Instead, it simply goes to
    the transaction manual download page.  I
    have not been able to get anyone at Capital One who has any answers – they blame
    Quicken.  As noted above, Quicken now
    pronounces the issue “resolved”.

• Scott BrownScott Brown Member
    edited February 2017
    Nothing works for me. Resetting the account hangs, and never sends me the text message to use TFA.

Deactivating online services does not work either., although I get the text code for two of my accounts it never works on all three, and I never download transactions.

I had really hoped that when Quicken was bought by a new company that customer service and support for the product would improve and all the damned bugs would be worked out.

I guess that's not the case.
    edited March 2017
    utah said:

Capital
    One provides instructions for reactivating downloads, but they do not work for
    me at least.  To see the instructions,
    logon to Capital One and type ‘Quicken’ in the search box to get the following:

“Existing Quicken® Users

We recently made an important update to our servicing
    site, so if you’re an existing Quicken® user, you’ll need to modify your
    settings to ensure the smooth transition of your financial data.

Next time you sign in to your account follow these
    instructions:

1. Choose
      Accounts, and then select Download Transactions—you’ll see an alert for
      Quicken® & Quickbooks®.
    2. Click the
      Quicken® Reactivation link.
    3. On the next
      page, choose your software version and follow the steps listed to prevent
      duplication of transaction data.

New Customers or Quicken® Users

If you’re a new Capital One customer or if you’re setting
    up Quicken® or Quickbooks® for the first time, please follow the software's
    instructions to add a new account.”

For
    me, choosing Accounts, then Download Transactions does not bring up an alert
    for Quicken.  Instead, it simply goes to
    the transaction manual download page.  I
    have not been able to get anyone at Capital One who has any answers – they blame
    Quicken.  As noted above, Quicken now
    pronounces the issue “resolved”.

I've been a Quicken and Cap One customer for  decades....so method 1 should work. No such link under Download Transactions. No Notice, nada...just the way to D/L transactions
  • Mike BryanMike Bryan Member
    edited February 2017
    jkcarp said:

so totally agree - I wish someone would come up with software that could seamlessly transfer all quicken data and then work at least as well so I could stick it up quicken's __s - they have the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE AND COMMUNICATION ( oh wait ...that's right ...they have  NO CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION).  I would love to see them have to grovel like they make their users
    edited February 2017

I normally wait 8 - 10 months to update to a newer version of Quicken to give them a chance to de-bug the software. I foolishly upgraded from 2016 to 2017 way too early and am also experiencing the same Capital One connection issues. No manner of deactivating/reactivating has worked. Security codes are received randomly, but do not help to solve the problem. Of course, Quicken will not announce when there is a resolution, let alone the existence of the problem.

same problem with Quicken 2016  Home and Business
    edited March 2017
    gmalis1 said:

not likely - you can still log in directly to Cap 1 with same username and password - its a Quicken issue - Cap 1 says they upgraded their security and Quicken has to make the software adjustments to fit and they haven't - its really both of their fault for not communicating before making a change that affects thousands of users - I would like to get their CEOs numbers and give them a wake up call at 3AM every night for a month or two.  That would get it fixed ASAP 
    edited February 2017
    qc03547 said:

My login in Capital One stopped working about a week ago.  I have tried everything mentioned on this board and nothing works.  Just keep getting the "Connectivity Problems" message.  I have tried resetting several times and just get same message.  All my other accounts update and work fine.  Anyone have and other suggestions?

from my post above "..its a Quicken issue - Cap 1 says they upgraded their security and Quicken has to make the software adjustments to fit and they haven't - its really both of their fault for not communicating before making a change that affects thousands of users ..."
This discussion has been closed.