Capital One download update asking for one time code

Using Windows 7 Pro, Quicken 2015 Deluxe

During a download of C1 transactions, Quicken update shows a screen saying the Capital One needs a one-time update code and provides a dropdown selection to request the code by phone or by email and provides a portion of the phone number and email address for validation.  When I select either option, Quicken continues to process the update even though I never get a C1 code via phone or email.  That's started happening this morning.  I download update my accounts every day.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or has a resolution?

I hate to have to get this prompt every time plus I can't tell if Quicken is truly processing a download or just continuing without a download.

I'm hoping it's some web processing C1 is doing on a Sunday morning that will go away.
Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro

Comments

• RobMRobM Member
    edited January 22
    I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.
  • stanstan Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I had the same problem this morning. I have not yet done the steps indicated by RobM. If it doesn't auto correct in a day or two I will do that.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    I will do the same as RobM if it doesn't correct itself.  Thanks.
  • tspencertspencer Member
    edited January 22
    same thing here, but now it is rejecting my password as incorrect, even though I confirm the exact ID and password online at C1.
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited February 2017
    yep, getting same error and results.  
  • AQuickenUserAQuickenUser Member
    edited October 2017
    Yep, me too.  Then it hangs and I have to kill QW 2017 with the task manager.  Thinking about rolling back to QW 2016, as QW 2017 has been nothing but slow performance and other problems.
    edited January 22
    Okay.  I tried RobM's instructions and got the code and entered it.  However, Quicken is still asking for a one time code for every C1 Card Services download. 
    edited January 22
    UPDATE:  I had to use codes several times (about 3 times for each credit card account) before Capital One stopped requesting a code.  I've seen this behavior before with my credit union login, who told me that their software requests validation several times before "learning" it is really okay to bypass code validation.
    edited February 2017
    tspencer said:

same thing here, but now it is rejecting my password as incorrect, even though I confirm the exact ID and password online at C1.

A friend of mine went through the issue you described.  They canceled the password verification and went through a Quicken update again.  It did not repeat the invalid password problem.  Maybe that would work for your situation.
  • stanstan Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Today, I tried it again without inactivating and reactivating. Just kept trying. It worked today. Dowloads came down and all looks good.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited January 22
    I'm having the same issue.  Asks me for a one-time code, I select the option to text it to me.  I never get a text, but then Quicken says that my login information is incorrect.  I've verified my login information at the Cap One site several times. 
  • edited February 2017
    Same problem, but I am using Quicken Premier 2016 on a PC. I get an error saying the problem is with Quicken server. So how do I fix that?
  • Ron DRon D Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I continue to have this problem.  Are you serious that THIS is what I need to do to resolve.  This is all WAY above my pay grade.  I have not needed Quicken support until now.  Is there anyway to receive support by text or chat or email?  
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited May 2017
    This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on
    edited January 22
    Kevlar, Thanks for the info.  I thought this was fixed for me but I got the one-time code request again as well this evening after several downloads when C1 did not ask for it.  I think this issue should not be marked as SOLVED but don't know how to change it.
  • jkcarpjkcarp Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm finding that despite receiving the "one-time" verification message that I can still end up getting transactions downloaded. When the one-time security message pops up just select EMAIL verification and move on. It will result in an error as part of the One Step Update. However, if you go to the Capital One register itself and select UPDATE from the register menu then the transactions will go through. It might still ask you for a one-time security message. Go ahead and do it. It might even tell you that the password is wrong and tell you to enter it again. Just cancel. Keep repeating the UPDATE from the register menu until you get a clean result. I've gotten transactions downloaded two nights in a row this way.
  • edited February 2017
    I don't think this problem is solved. I'm still getting the goofy behavior.
  • tspencertspencer Member
    edited September 2017
    When I pasted this thread into a chat with Quicken Support, they checked with Capital One and said that whatever security enhancement they are going through has temporarily suspended C1 transaction download. I kept saying that Quicken should fix the error message that is being presented, but I didn't get very far.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited March 2017

Fingers-crossed, but my Quicken/Cap One connection seems to be working fine.  I went into my account and deactivated the online access.  I then shut down Quicken and restarted.  When I went back into the account and activated online access, I got the window asking for how I wanted to receive my one-time code.  I selected text as before and was surprised that I actually received a text this time (I never had before).  Quicken then prompted me to input the code (which it hadn't before).  I input the code and my access was activated.  The bad thing was that they downloaded over 145 old transactions, which I had to delete.  Otherwise, since then my access has been fine and I haven't been prompted for another one-time code and I've been getting downloads like normal. 

• JimJim Member
    edited March 2017
    I had the same issue today with Quicken 2014 Premier (just so people don't think it's only a problem with new Quicken versions). I deactivated and reactivated Online Services, then had to request and enter the security code 4 times. It's working now. Unfortunately, it downloaded transactions that I've already reconciled and now have to delete - one.... at.... a.... time....
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited February 2017
    Jim said:

I had the same issue today with Quicken 2014 Premier (just so people don't think it's only a problem with new Quicken versions). I deactivated and reactivated Online Services, then had to request and enter the security code 4 times. It's working now. Unfortunately, it downloaded transactions that I've already reconciled and now have to delete - one.... at.... a.... time....

Re: One at a time...
    I was able to highlight multiple "new" downloads of previously reconciled transactions and delete them all at once. Hold down CTRL when selecting (just like elsewhere obviously)....worked for me, but it's a PITA. I use CapOne for 30-40 transactions in a month, so each time I do a manual download I have to go back to delete duplicates.
  • ezez Member
    edited April 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

Thanks! Called Cap One, they bounced me to Quicken! Couldn't reach Quicken support (spent 1h 10 min on hold). Deactivated, reactivated - nothing works..  Please help
  • QuickenUserDCQuickenUserDC Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

Quicken does not offer email support or text support.

You can get chat support. Look at this article and scroll down toward the bottom, the links are there.

• William ConeyWilliam Coney Member
    edited February 2017
    C1 Password Issue Still Happening:

I can log on just fine to the website but Quicken insists my password is bad. I don't want to have to do manual work just because Quicken and C1 cant get their act together.....
  • Jay DuffJay Duff Member
    edited February 2017
    +1 to this thread.  Quicken 2017 Premier on Windows 10 Pro.  First, it asked me for a one-time code, and the only option was my email.  I selected that, and never got the email.  Now it's telling me my password is wrong, even though I confirmed it's right by logging into the Cap 1 website.

What gives, Quicken?!?
  • jimjim Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I too disconnected the account and reconnected, received the code in the process and entered.  All seemed well until I attempted one step update this morning and had to retrieve a new code and enter again.  Could Capitol One not be recognizing the One Step Update request? 
    edited January 22
    After following Robm's instructions, C1 allowed about 4 downloads without requesting the code.  The next day, it requested the code again for 2 downloads.  Today it didn't request the code.  Seems unpredictable.
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

Jim, I don't know why, but it's not requesting the code everytime after following Robm's steps.  I've been able to download several times before it requested a code again.  Maybe it's "learning" a pattern.  Some newer login security software app's take several days of random checks before bypassing validation.
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

I'm having the same issue.  Asks me for a one-time code, I select the option to text it to me.  I never get a text, but then Quicken says that my login information is incorrect.  I've verified my login information at the Cap One site several times. 

I couldn't get a text until I followed Robm's steps, even though C1 said it would send a text.
  • Mike411Mike411 Member
    edited February 2017
    I am having the same issue with Quicken 2015 Home & Business. I
    deactivated and reactivated C1 account, then had to request and
    enter the security code. It worked. Unfortunately, the next day felt like Groundhog day the movie !!
    Im just going to wait and let it work itself out.
This discussion has been closed.