Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• Ted BTed B Member
    edited April 2017

That would make sense up to a point, but how come downloads work for a while without requiring a PIN? And why, when I log into the CapitalOne website to do a manual download into Quicken, does it do it without a two-factor authentication?

It must already be compatible..I doubt that TD and Wells Fargo and Fidelity are not "modern".... Cap1 is the only one giving me a problem. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to see who's at fault.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited April 2017

That would make sense up to a point, but how come downloads work for a while without requiring a PIN? And why, when I log into the CapitalOne website to do a manual download into Quicken, does it do it without a two-factor authentication?

I certainly agree. It seems to me there may be more than one "problem" going on here. I know in the past, aspects of Quicken's behavior were tied to Internet Explorer settings and some "download problems" could be addressed by simply resetting IE's configuration parameters. I have to wonder if there are some interactions with Windows 10 or the Edge browser that are contributing to the problems.

Additionally, I don't believe that either Web Connect or Express Web Connect can support properly handling an OTP challenge. As I understand it they were architected as one way only interfaces. Certainly neither Express Web Connect nor  Direct Connect can support responding to an OTP challenge when operating in a scheduled or unattended mode. Once organizations require one time passwords or employ other "enhanced" authentication schemes, unattended/scheduled updates will likely be a thing of the past. We may all be forced to access the financial institution web site, handle whatever authentication mechanism they use, download the transactions (Web Connect) and import them into Quicken (or other). We will have to say goodbye to the simpler past and change our behavior in order to address the security challenges of today. I for one have already "moved on". I turned off scheduled updates for Capital One and if necessary will use Web Connect to download transactions. (Fundamentally, financial institutions cannot trust their customers'
    ability to properly secure and manage their devices. While in banking
    IT, I experienced many cases of fraud that were due to "failure" on the
    part of the customer. Many did not have current anti-malware protection
    installed while others practiced poor Internet hygiene, such as opening
    emails from unknown senders or visiting clearly suspicious web sites. Hackers are a highly motivated group. We even experienced key loggers being used in real time to attempt to defeat SecurID token one time pins numbers.)

I just wish the parties would get together for the good of their mutual customers and "resolve" the issues, including putting out a joint communication explaining clearly what the options will be going forward. (Since there is a lot of guessing and speculation on this forum, here's one. Perhaps these changes have exposed a security vulnerability and they are staying quiet until it is corrected.)
  • Daniel TanDaniel Tan Member
    edited April 2017
    Running 2017 R6 and the C1 / Quicken matter continues to happen / sometimes I get the code and it works, other times Q just errors on code 501 and says a popup window exists and needs to be clicked on to proceed / or Retry ... 

And then to add more salt to the wound / when it does work it would sometimes download months of backloged transactions as new and I'm just about losing patience with Intuit about all this ... 

Bump and fix this ASAP / Thanks

Intuit please take note / can we tweet the CEO about this?

Thanks
    Dan
  • Tom JohnsonTom Johnson Member
    edited January 2018
    I just went to the Cap 1 site and completed their site survey.  Gave them the lowest rating in all categories and posted a note about their problems.  Maybe if enough of us do this it will get their attention.
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited January 2018
    Link here at the top of page to email the CEO
    https://www.quicken.com/about-us/team

I sent this:  In case you didn't know, there are a raft of Quicken users who are having fits about the download of transactions into Quicken from Capital One credit card services.  Many of us are 20-plus years users of Quicken and this is just about to drive us nuts.  Quicken seems to blame CapOne and CapOne blames Quicken.  Is there any way someone can put some priority on this?  Thanks so much
  • edited June 2018
    Just out of curiosity -  For those of you with multiple Cap1 accounts - is each one listed with a different user name on Cap1 yet going to the same email address? Then in Quicken, of course each one would have it's own name in Quicken- The reason I ask is because when downloading, I notice now it comes up as Capital One Services  - I wonder if I should just have all our Cap1 accounts under one user name........I use 2 user names mine and then hubby has 2 accounts linked with Cap1.
    edited April 2017

Just out of curiosity -  For those of you with multiple Cap1 accounts - is each one listed with a different user name on Cap1 yet going to the same email address? Then in Quicken, of course each one would have it's own name in Quicken- The reason I ask is because when downloading, I notice now it comes up as Capital One Services  - I wonder if I should just have all our Cap1 accounts under one user name........I use 2 user names mine and then hubby has 2 accounts linked with Cap1.

I have one user name with two accounts.  It used to work fine.  Now I have various problems almost everyday. Today, Quicken hangs up when selecting "reset account".  That's ony one of about six different problems I have from time to time.
    edited April 2017
    datdaddy said:

I sent this:  In case you didn't know, there are a raft of Quicken users who are having fits about the download of transactions into Quicken from Capital One credit card services.  Many of us are 20-plus years users of Quicken and this is just about to drive us nuts.  Quicken seems to blame CapOne and CapOne blames Quicken.  Is there any way someone can put some priority on this?  Thanks so much

I just sent an email to the CEO.  Maybe if we all do that they will wake up.
  • edited April 2017

Personal Capital and Buxfer both handle an OTP challenge without issue. Again this points to a Quicken software architecture issue. They've likely failed to modernize their code. Pointing to Capital One as the fault of who broke Quicken with a kind of ridiculous. Capital One has no obligation to ensure Quicken's likely antiquated system remains viable. Is Capital One is on the cutting-edge of the latest banking security, good for them. No way am I going to cuss them just because Quicken can't keep up.
  • edited April 2017

Running 2017 R6 and the C1 / Quicken matter continues to happen / sometimes I get the code and it works, other times Q just errors on code 501 and says a popup window exists and needs to be clicked on to proceed / or Retry ... 

And then to add more salt to the wound / when it does work it would sometimes download months of backloged transactions as new and I'm just about losing patience with Intuit about all this ... 

Bump and fix this ASAP / Thanks

Intuit please take note / can we tweet the CEO about this?

Thanks
    Dan

Intuit doesn't own Quicken anymore. Quicken is in the hands of venture capitalists now.
  • edited April 2017

I agree - like this morning - Got the 503 whatever code for Amazon, Cap1 and PayPal - It's gotta be Quicken
  • JamesJames Member
    edited April 2017

I have a credit card and savings account.  The Accounts are accessed by one ID and separate passwords in Quicken.  The Credit card account has the password I set and the savings account has a password the system set. 

I have had no problems connecting to Cap1 through quicken OSU for two months now.  The thing that fixed it was disconnecting the Credit Card account from Online services and reconnecting as if new account.  Haven't been asked for a code for at least 6 weeks.
  • edited April 2017

So, at what point do we move off Quicken?  I've used Quicken for over 20 years and never been as frustrated as I am now with this Capital One problem.  Maybe it's time to go to Mint or CountAbout.   These issues should be very easy for Quicken and Cap One to resolve if they wanted to.

I personally recommend Citi Double Cash Card. Blows C1 card away with no fee, 2% cash back. Check it out...
  • Bob K.Bob K. Member
    edited April 2017

So, at what point do we move off Quicken?  I've used Quicken for over 20 years and never been as frustrated as I am now with this Capital One problem.  Maybe it's time to go to Mint or CountAbout.   These issues should be very easy for Quicken and Cap One to resolve if they wanted to.

I went with this one. Have had it less than a month and have had to call three times as they stopped the cars for suspicious activity. I think I have it straightened out but their fraud warning gives off too many false positives.
  • Bob K.Bob K. Member
    edited April 2017

Doing this did not work for me. I just got a lot of old transactions I had to delete.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited January 2018
    I was hopeful that my problems with C1 were behind me.  Pure hubris...  About 6 days ago, I started getting the dreaded cc-501.  I waited the 24 hours, as requested, and tried again.  cc-501.  I backed up/deactivated/shut down/reactivated.  cc-501.  This has been going on for 5 days now.  I've run validate and repair.  All of my other accounts are working fine; only C1 is having a problem.  I just wish Quicken or C1 would TELL us something.  It's so frustrating. 
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I was hopeful that my problems with C1 were behind me.  Pure hubris...  About 6 days ago, I started getting the dreaded cc-501.  I waited the 24 hours, as requested, and tried again.  cc-501.  I backed up/deactivated/shut down/reactivated.  cc-501.  This has been going on for 5 days now.  I've run validate and repair.  All of my other accounts are working fine; only C1 is having a problem.  I just wish Quicken or C1 would TELL us something.  It's so frustrating. 

Well, I just completed about an hour and a half online with Quicken Support Chat.  We tried many things and I uploaded log files to them twice.  They had me try Super Validates, Creating new Quicken files, One Step Updates, and creating accounts from other institutions. Only Capital One had a problem. They have escalated my case and said I should hear from that team within 24 hours.  We'll see if they can help with my cc-501. 
  • edited April 2017
    datdaddy said:

I've just emailed him too.
  • sweinber932wasweinber932wa Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

It is a complete waste of time and aggravation to spend time on the phone with anyone from Quicken support regarding this issue.  They can't fix it, and they will just run you through the same help desk solution scripts (re-do this, validate that...).  It might fix things for that day or few days, but the problem will return.

"All of my other accounts are working fine; only C1 is having a problem"

This is because only Capital One is still using Express Web Connect, instead of Direct Connect.
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I spent an hour with a tech yesterday.  His solutions resulted in me having to go find and delete over 200 transactions.  The download still isn't working properly.  

But at least they are aware of the problem.  
  • Bob K.Bob K. Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Thanks.  I have a note from Quicken asking me to contact them so they can help me. I think I will skip for now until I see several comments saying it is fixed.  I don't need to delete a bunch of transactions again.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Just out of curiosity...has anyone attempted to download directly from Capital One using "Web Connect"...where you download a .qfx file from the website and then import into Quicken?  Do duplicate transactions occur with that download method?

It is probably more trouble than using One Step Update...but is probably less work than deleting a whole mess of transactions.  
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Yes, I have done that and it works fine.  You can select the date range so you will not get three months of duplicates.
  • rev.geoffrev.geoff Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I received a note from Quicken that sounds like Bob K.'s. I also ignored it. I don't believe it. 
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Yep, got a long note after writing the CEO.  Offering to help me, said they'd tried to call me.  I just responded with "This is a well-documented and reported issue.  I don't have time to waste on your walking me through the same things everyone else has tried.  Just fix it."
  • edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

@gmalis1 - Like Tom said - make sure your select the date range and then it will ask on Quicken which account to match it to......the old fashioned way always works lol
  • Rick LawrenceRick Lawrence Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

As I mentioned earlier, I called Quicken Technical Support and essentially refused to end the call until it was escalated.  Net is I got connected to a competent tech guy who had me generate and upload 3 log files generated during a Quicken session with a failed Capital One download.   Two days later, I got received the email below.   After the usual tortuous deactivate + reactivate + delete replicated transactions, my Capital One downloads worked (and have worked since then).  Among the many things I don't understand about this problem is why this works for me but not for everyone else?

---------------
    Dear Rick,

We sincerely apologize for the delay. This is regarding the online banking issue you've been encountering with Capital One Card Services.
    We would like to let you know that we have received an update from the
    scripts team. We are pleased to inform you that your issue has been
    resolved. The resolution has been implemented and this bank account
    should be ready for your use.

You may now try to refresh your accounts by following the steps provided
    on the links below. If the account/s are Deactivated you may proceed to
    the second link and REACTIVATE the accounts.

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/GEN82055 (DEACTIVATING)

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/GEN82745 (REACTIVATING)

If you’re still getting the same error after following the
    troubleshooting steps, please send us the complete set of your latest
    log files after running the one step update so we can research further.

We greatly appreciate your patience and continuous cooperation to resolve this issue.

With warm regards,

Quicken Customer Careimage
    ----------------------
  • edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Haven't we all tried the "deactivate - reactivate" steps to cure this???
  • Rick LawrenceRick Lawrence Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Yeah ... I certainly have ... but Quicken did something as a result of seeing my log files that actually made it work for the first time
  • edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Let's hope it's a fix.
This discussion has been closed.