Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• RobertRobert Member
    edited June 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

All I can say is I wish I never "upgraded" from 2014. It was working just fine and I fell for the marketing hype and "downgraded" to 2017.  This is the biggest piece of trash they've ever put out and I've used Quicken since day1 (DOS). I going to contact Cust Svc and see if how to get back to it.
  • Tom JohnsonTom Johnson Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I was hopeful that my problems with C1 were behind me.  Pure hubris...  About 6 days ago, I started getting the dreaded cc-501.  I waited the 24 hours, as requested, and tried again.  cc-501.  I backed up/deactivated/shut down/reactivated.  cc-501.  This has been going on for 5 days now.  I've run validate and repair.  All of my other accounts are working fine; only C1 is having a problem.  I just wish Quicken or C1 would TELL us something.  It's so frustrating. 

I refuse to deactivate / activate again.  It takes several hours to delete all the duplicates every time I do this.
  • Daniel TanDaniel Tan Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I was hopeful that my problems with C1 were behind me.  Pure hubris...  About 6 days ago, I started getting the dreaded cc-501.  I waited the 24 hours, as requested, and tried again.  cc-501.  I backed up/deactivated/shut down/reactivated.  cc-501.  This has been going on for 5 days now.  I've run validate and repair.  All of my other accounts are working fine; only C1 is having a problem.  I just wish Quicken or C1 would TELL us something.  It's so frustrating. 

I too have lost many cycles reconciling entries from months back ... deactivate / reactivate isn't an option until C1 / Q comes out with a definitive fix for all instead of one off fixes ... 

@Rick pls. advise if this continues to work a wk. from now or faults on the same errors again

Using 2017 R6 presently ... 

Disappointed @Intuit
  • edited April 2017
    datdaddy said:

Link here at the top of page to email the CEO
    https://www.quicken.com/about-us/team

I sent this:  In case you didn't know, there are a raft of Quicken users who are having fits about the download of transactions into Quicken from Capital One credit card services.  Many of us are 20-plus years users of Quicken and this is just about to drive us nuts.  Quicken seems to blame CapOne and CapOne blames Quicken.  Is there any way someone can put some priority on this?  Thanks so much

After I received a response from "Niel, Quicken Inc. Sr. Support | On Behalf of the Office of the President", I sent the following email:

Hello Niel,

I will be traveling for the next month or so and will not be able to work with you on this. In fact, I am not really encouraged to work with you because of the apparent willful ignoring of this issue by Quicken.

It seems to me that the "Capital One download update asking for one time code" thread should provide sufficient information for you to solve the problem. Note that several of your customers spent considerable time with Quicken support to gather logs and jump through hoops. All of which seems to never really fix anything.

I sincerely hope you will follow through on this and get it fixed,

Rich
  • RobertRobert Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I have sent an invoice for $1250 to the CEO of Intuit reflecting the value of my time I've wasted on their stupid program to solve this problem.  I;m confident I will get a prompt response and a check by return mail.  Problems of this nature are inexcusable. If the bank is a problem, either fix it or fess up to the problem until corrected so folks don't waste their valuable time with it.  I could have manually entered the transaction 20 times over given the time I've wasted on this issue. 
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    I don't know if this will help anyone else.  Quicken randomly gets the request from C1 and I just Cancel the one time code request.  The transaction download proceeds without errors after that.  However, I do 1 more transaction download of C1 to make sure.  The second download never gets the one-time code error.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • Robert HoneymanRobert Honeyman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I don't know if this will help anyone else.  Quicken randomly gets the request from C1 and I just Cancel the one time code request.  The transaction download proceeds without errors after that.  However, I do 1 more transaction download of C1 to make sure.  The second download never gets the one-time code error.

Bravo. Finally the common sense approach. I tried this early on with the same, positive results. Then I got sidetracked into demanding code perfection from Q. I will go back to this approach posthaste. 
  • edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Good luck with that; Intuit no longer owns Quicken.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

In the chat session I referenced above, I was told that I'd receive a response within 24 hours.  I just now received a response, over 60 hours later.  Here it is:

"We receive the case that was escalated to our team, upon checking the log files associated with your case we found out that your issue will have to be submitted to our scripts team.

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email as we escalate your issue to our engineering team. We might lose you in the process or queue of our Scripts team that may result in delayed response of updates from them. We will immediately notify you once we got feedback from our scripts team.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation towards this issue.

Thank you for being a valued customer,
    Quicken Customer Careimage"

sigh...

edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

In the chat session I referenced above, I was told that I'd receive a response within 24 hours.  I just now received a response, over 60 hours later.  Here it is:

"We receive the case that was escalated to our team, upon checking the log files associated with your case we found out that your issue will have to be submitted to our scripts team.

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email as we escalate your issue to our engineering team. We might lose you in the process or queue of our Scripts team that may result in delayed response of updates from them. We will immediately notify you once we got feedback from our scripts team.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation towards this issue.

Thank you for being a valued customer,
    Quicken Customer Careimage"

sigh...

edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Still no word from Quicken support, but this morning I thought I'd just try once again to connect to Capital One.  It worked and I was able to link to my account!  Not sure if the support folks did something or the stars were aligned just right.  As of today, it's been 7 days of cc-501.

Of course, I was presented with three months of previously reconciled/duplicate transactions and a few current ones.  Here's how I handled it.  I accepted the current transactions that haven't been previously reconciled.  I then reconciled the account.  Quicken asked if I wanted to process the other downloaded transactions or reconcile without them.  I chose to reconcile without them. All of the newly accepted transactions changed to 'R' and my account balanced.  I then accepted all of the duplicate transactions that were downloaded (identified as "New").  They went into the register with a 'c' (cleared) identifier.  I then clicked on the heading of that column in the register to sort by cleared.  All of the 'c' transactions sorted together at the bottom of the register.  I then selected the first 'c' transaction and shift-clicked the last 'c' transaction, which selected the entire group.  CTRL-D removed them all at once.  It took just a couple of minutes to deal with over 140 duplicates. 

• Mike411Mike411 Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

After weeks of cc501 and then account category unrecognized (so i was never able to re-activate) up to last night. This morning I decided to try before I leave the house and behold without any code request or hesitation the account was recognized and downloaded like it should.

That said, I wish this could happen to my HSBC account and Synchrony Bank but no such luck!!

After 27 years of being a quicken user the last 7 years been mentally terrorizing !!

I wish Quicken would stop inventing new features that the majority of the users have no need for and focus on providing us with a bug free reliable software that can manage to download safely, accurately and reliably. I am sure we will be happy and pay to downgrade to that version. (sarcasm)

We also dont want our personal data to reside on your cloud. I dont want you to mine it either, I already paid for your software it was not free.

So, Eric Dunn CEO you seemed to be a good guy, we were happy to hear from you 7 month ago when you promised to stay in touch and keep us up to date. You also said that Quicken 2017 was great and stable! from what I have seen it has been the worst roll out, The proof, look at the number of patch releases and the list of known issues. That is a shame. I have plenty more to say but i will stop here.

To the community I am sorry for the rant.
  • Mike411Mike411 Member
    edited April 2017
    After weeks of cc501 and then account category unrecognized (so i was
    never able to re-activate) up to last night. This morning I decided to
    try before I leave the house and behold without any code request or
    hesitation the account was recognized and downloaded like it should.

That said, I wish this could happen to my HSBC account and Synchrony Bank but no such luck!!

After 27 years of being a quicken user the last 7 years been mentally terrorizing !!

I
    wish Quicken would stop inventing new features that the majority of the
    users have no need for and focus on providing us with a bug free
    reliable software that can manage to download safely, accurately and
    reliably. I am sure we will be happy and pay to downgrade to that
    version. (sarcasm)

We also dont want our personal data to reside
    on your cloud. I dont want you to mine it either, I already paid for
    your software it was not free.

So, Eric Dunn CEO you seemed to
    be a good guy, we were happy to hear from you 7 month ago when you
    promised to stay in touch and keep us up to date. You also said that
    Quicken 2017 was great and stable! from what I have seen it has been the
    worst roll out, The proof, look at the number of patch releases and the
    list of known issues. That is a shame. I have plenty more to say but i
    will stop here.

• Bob K.Bob K. Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Mike411 said:

After weeks of cc501 and then account category unrecognized (so i was
    never able to re-activate) up to last night. This morning I decided to
    try before I leave the house and behold without any code request or
    hesitation the account was recognized and downloaded like it should.

I
    wish Quicken would stop inventing new features that the majority of the
    users have no need for and focus on providing us with a bug free
    reliable software that can manage to download safely, accurately and
    reliably. I am sure we will be happy and pay to downgrade to that
    version. (sarcasm)

We also dont want our personal data to reside
    on your cloud. I dont want you to mine it either, I already paid for
    your software it was not free.

So, Eric Dunn CEO you seemed to
    be a good guy, we were happy to hear from you 7 month ago when you
    promised to stay in touch and keep us up to date. You also said that
    Quicken 2017 was great and stable! from what I have seen it has been the
    worst roll out, The proof, look at the number of patch releases and the
    list of known issues. That is a shame. I have plenty more to say but i
    will stop here.

I think you said it very well.  I'm sure many of us feel exactly the same.
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

Still no word from Quicken support since I was notified that my case was sent to the scripts team on 04/17.  However, since the cc-501 suddenly went away on 04/18, the process has been working just fine ever since. 
  • GollyRojerGollyRojer Member
    edited May 2017
    Hello, Quicken sufferers.  I hate to be a party pooper, but it worked for me.  I found this instruction sheet:
    https://www.capitalone.com/media/doc/personal-banking/quicken-for-windows.pdf
    ...which gave step-by-step instructions which, for my situation, boiled down to "deactivate and reactivate".  Note that I only have Capital One Card Services; there were instructions for other account types that included more actions.  Actually, the sheet says Card Services accounts don't need to do this, but it worked when I did it, getting rid of the "one-time verification" request.

Duplicates: I was lucky in that I started a new Quicken file a few weeks ago, and it only downloaded the past 180 days.  In my preferences, "Automatically add to banking registers" is unchecked , so downloaded transactions appear in a panel awaiting approval.  I found one recent transaction that was not already in the register, so I approved it and deleted the rest.  Unhappily, I could not find a way to select them all and delete once; I had to do it individually.  If you can find a way to select all the downloaded transactions, you can avoid the tedious individual deletion.

Capital One had updated at this point, so I couldn't verify that new transactions would download.  If it turns out that they don't, I'll post an update.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited April 2017

Hello, Quicken sufferers.  I hate to be a party pooper, but it worked for me.  I found this instruction sheet:
    ...which gave step-by-step instructions which, for my situation, boiled down to "deactivate and reactivate".  Note that I only have Capital One Card Services; there were instructions for other account types that included more actions.  Actually, the sheet says Card Services accounts don't need to do this, but it worked when I did it, getting rid of the "one-time verification" request.

Duplicates: I was lucky in that I started a new Quicken file a few weeks ago, and it only downloaded the past 180 days.  In my preferences, "Automatically add to banking registers" is unchecked , so downloaded transactions appear in a panel awaiting approval.  I found one recent transaction that was not already in the register, so I approved it and deleted the rest.  Unhappily, I could not find a way to select them all and delete once; I had to do it individually.  If you can find a way to select all the downloaded transactions, you can avoid the tedious individual deletion.

Capital One had updated at this point, so I couldn't verify that new transactions would download.  If it turns out that they don't, I'll post an update.

There have been several posts about how to delete multiple transactions.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

I agree that it appears Quicken and Capital One have finally fixed the problems. I took the plunge and did the deactivate/reactivate after others reported apparent success. For the first time I received not only the challenge prompt, but also the one time code on my phone. I entered it and the download proceeded successfully. Additionally the balance now appears to be correct as well. About the only downside I see is that we can no longer assume scheduled unattended updates will complete successfully, but that is a small price to pay for the increased security. I can live with it.

edited April 2017

cc-501 appears gone / but why still all the random challenge / resp. code requests ... ?
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

cc-501 appears gone / but why still all the random challenge / resp. code requests ... ?
  • Patrick Stafford GoldenPatrick Stafford Golden Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I'm just doing the card services as well, but I still get the "one-time" code request periodically. Just an annoyance for me, but still....
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited April 2017
    joanzen . said:

It appears to be working fine for me especially if I do C1 by itself which is no big deal.
  • GmossimoGmossimo Member
    edited April 2017

After living with this for as long as everyone else, and going through the same, fruitless gyrations of deleting/re-establishing the link, re-branding, blah blah blah, only to have it fail again, I did some research.  Bottom line; there is no user setting, nor "set it up again" thing that will cure this problem, long-term.

The underlying issue:  there are two different methods for Quicken software to access a user's financial institution and download data.  "Direct Connect", and "Express Web Connect".  Direct Connect requires the FI (bank, credit card or investment company) to host a DC server.  The Quicken user's account is logging into that server, and securely exchanging encrypted data.  That method works great, always has, and still does.  For FIs who don't have a DC server, Quicken has to use "Express Web Connect".  This method is less secure.  Quicken is logging into your usual web browser-based account, simulating a human's keystrokes, and downloading the transaction file from the website, just like you would do yourself.  The financial industry's recent focus on improved website security means that some FIs, like Capital One, are adding two-factor-authentication (the one-time PIN) to log into their websites.  Quicken EWC can't handle this properly, because it (intentionally) can't get the one-time PIN text message or phone call.  You wouldn't want it to do that.

So, this is pretty much hopeless, unless Capital One installs a DC server...it's not Quicken's fault.

Thanks for you input.  Stopped using Capital One until this is fixed. At least for now I can stop with all the workarounds that waste time
  • edited April 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I followed Rob M's procedure and got the code, etc.. but it sets up a nother account with no transactions or existing balance??
  • stanstan Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Using Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) and Quicken 2017 Home and Business R6. I download from 9 financial organizations into 14 accounts so changing to something else would be painful and time consuming. I do a full download and reconciliation and I get the message from C1 and with the dropdown ask them to send me the code. Which doesn't happen. Then, I do my only C1 (credit card) separately. It asks for the code, doesn't send it but does the download and reconciliation (most of the time). When it doesn't, it usually works the next day. I haven't had the server error in a number of weeks.   I also have the problem where my C1 account doesn't reconcile unless I do it in the evening. Seems like the earliest I can do it is 9 PM CT.  I have not done any of the steps that have been talked about here. With my current experience, it seems like the cure is worse than the disease. Just takes a couple minutes to download C1 separately.

Now, QUESTION: I'm thinking of switching to either the Citi Bank Double Rewards (1% on purchase, 1% on payment) or to Fidelity 2% cash back. Both offer the 2% with no purchase limits. I do have accounts at Fidelity so the requirement to deposit into a Fidelity account is not a problem. Has anyone had any Quicken problems with either organization in general or their credit cards in particular? (Downloading, reconciling, etc.) Also does either have an Android app that receives a record of the transaction within a few minutes of it happening?
  • Patrick Stafford GoldenPatrick Stafford Golden Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

I use the Citi Bank Double card and have had no problems downloading from them.
  • Bob K.Bob K. Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

The Citi Double Cash has downloaded with no problems for me.  I switched to it after having trouble, like others, with downloading the Capital One card info.  I also get an extra 1/2 point of rebate.
  • CC Member
    edited May 2017
    Well, I just surrendered. I got a new credit card that supports direct connect (USAA) and stopped using my Capital One card last week. This was much easier than fighting with the downloads. Bye bye Cap 1.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited May 2017
    Mine has been working fine for a while
  • Don BartensteinDon Bartenstein Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm still getting the prompt once or twice a week.
This discussion has been closed.