Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• GollyRojerGollyRojer Member
    edited May 2017
    I set mine to auto-update on a schedule.  Now every morning it's waiting for me, asking me to choose phone text or email.  I choose one, and it updates without sending the verification.
  • rbackrback Member
    edited May 2017
    I'm still getting prompt every time I try up download from C1.  Of
    course it still gets and error and is unable to download when I enter
    the verification code.  Then when I do "reset" or "deactivate/activate",
    it does work, but downloads the last 180 days of transactions, most of
    which are duplicates, which I can only delete ONE ... AT ... A ....
    TIME, with a STUPID prompt in between that wants me to confirm deletion
    of this downloaded transaction.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited May 2017
    search this forum..there is a way to delete all transactions at once...you sort them in the register,etc. meanwhile just download from the website until you solve the problem. Mine works fine now.
  • rbackrback Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't download directly into the register.  I'd rather not have duplicates there and fish through to delete the duplicates, even if I can multi-select.
    I gave the web download a try and that seems to work.  I just have to narrow the date range for the download to just since my last download, to eliminate any duplicates. 
    Thanks!
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited May 2017
    Yes I recall that the procedure is to reconcile the account then accept all transactions. Then you sort by "unreconciled" , click on the first , hold shift and click on the last to select all of them..then hit delete. No fishing involved. Just telling you in case you find yourself needing to do that.
  • edited May 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

Updating within the account worked for me for a while, then it stopped and I'm back to all the same problems mentioned in this thread.  Quicken and Cap One HAVE GOT TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER!
  • greglovelacegreglovelace Member
    edited January 2018
    OK...  so I've been using Quicken Deluxe 2015 now for a while with no problems.  When the issue with C1 appeared, I chatted with a C1 rep and was told that I needed to upgrade to Q2017 due to their security upgrades, but that I could simply download the .qfx file to get around that. I've been doing that for several weeks now; even did it successfully yesterday.  Now today, when I downloaded and clicked the file to open it in Q2015, the program began a Windows Installer procedure that I had not seen before...  "configuring Quicken 2015".  I quit the installer, but now cannot bypass that.  So it appears that I now have to manually enter the transcactions and manually reconcile the account.  Anyone else having this problem?
  • Tom JohnsonTom Johnson Member
    edited May 2017

OK...  so I've been using Quicken Deluxe 2015 now for a while with no problems.  When the issue with C1 appeared, I chatted with a C1 rep and was told that I needed to upgrade to Q2017 due to their security upgrades, but that I could simply download the .qfx file to get around that. I've been doing that for several weeks now; even did it successfully yesterday.  Now today, when I downloaded and clicked the file to open it in Q2015, the program began a Windows Installer procedure that I had not seen before...  "configuring Quicken 2015".  I quit the installer, but now cannot bypass that.  So it appears that I now have to manually enter the transcactions and manually reconcile the account.  Anyone else having this problem?

No.  My manual downloads work fine.  But I plan to continue to pester both Cap 1 and Quicken until they solve the problem.
    edited January 2018
    The latest suggestion from Quicken is to deactivate the account, change the Financial Institution name to "Capital One Card - Current" and then reactivate the account.   I'm trying this and will let you know if the problems go away.
  • greglovelacegreglovelace Member
    edited May 2017

The latest suggestion from Quicken is to deactivate the account, change the Financial Institution name to "Capital One Card - Current" and then reactivate the account.   I'm trying this and will let you know if the problems go away.

Thanks, Tom.  I look forward to hearing how it goes...
  • Rick LawrenceRick Lawrence Member
    edited May 2017

This is one crazy ride ... a month ago I declared my problems fixed ... since then I have had to go the deactivate / reactivate route 3 times (for 2 different C1 accounts) ... broke again last week ... I also just got the 'configuring Quicken 2016' message today ... just like you, looks like I am in dead in the water ... so I once again reactivated both accounts (I know the drill well ... mark all current transactions with 'R' so you can differentiate the zillion downloaded transactions marked with 'c' ...) ... net is I am on the air again ... but I fully expect it to break again ... Quicken: how do you run a company this bad?
  • Garth HeutelGarth Heutel Member
    edited May 2017
    About 5 weeks ago, after the third time that I de-activated and re-activated the account, everything was working fine for about 4 weeks.  I would occasionally get the prompt for the 6-digit code, then enter it, and the downloads would work.  Then, about a week ago, it stopped working.  Today instead of de-activating and re-activating, I just clicked on "reset account."  It asked me again for a prompt but it seemed to work.  Unfortunately, it also downloaded about 100 duplicate transactions that I had already entered, but I used the trick where I reconciled, then accepted then all, then deleted the non-reconciled transactions en masse. 

I am beginning to think that this is the new normal for this account - I will have to do this about once a month or so as long as I keep using Quicken.  Oh well.
  • Mike BrentMike Brent Member
    edited May 2017

This new issue is a known Quicken problem, although they have not done a good job telling their CSR. Here's what they say about this

Some Quicken Windows users are reporting that they're receiving
    an install error when attempting to import a QFX file downloaded from
    their financial institution:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable"

We
    have seen a few customers who are receiving a slightly different
    message that advises them to uninstall their Quicken program before
    trying to install again.

We are investigating the cause of this error and are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

If you wish to receive email notification when we have the solution, please FOLLOW this Announcement.

Photo of Quicken Tamara

Quicken Tamara, Employee

• 195,572 Points

100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 days ago

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-5-19-17-import-qfx-reports-msi-error-1706-on-a-network-resource?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all
  • carl spellmancarl spellman Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I followed Rob M's instructions and Quicken now works fine and it does not ask me for a one time code from Capital 1.   Thanks Rob. 
  • suesue Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I just added a brand spanking new cap1 venture card, and almost every time I go to download transactions (usually once a day), I'm prompted for my email.  Pissed off.  Called Cap1 and they told me it's a know issue, somehow it keeps seeing quicken as a new device...  It should only require the access code once per device/sign on.  Anyway, they said they were working on it,  I requested a fix within two weeks, or I'll find another card.   We'll see.
  • Patrick Stafford GoldenPatrick Stafford Golden Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

How do you change the Financial institution name? On my version of Quicken 2017 (R6) the name appears to be automatically assigned when you activate it.  I can't edit that field.
  • edited May 2017

You have to recreate the account as new......I had that problem also - but kept my old one - just turned off the update for the old one
    edited May 2017

Deactivate the on line connection.  Then when you reactivate on line you can select a different financial institution.
  • Steve OgdenSteve Ogden Member
    edited June 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I don't use Quicken, and this has been happening to me for almost a year, despite having spoken with at least two agents and the same supervisor more than once. I can always get in to my credit card account online after going to the trouble of having the code sent to another email address, copying it, pasting it into the box and clicking 'Enter', but why do I have to do this over, and over, and over? It used to only happen on my PC (suing their app on my Smartphone I *never* had to go through this 'One Time Code' nonsense).

If I sign out and a *few seconds* later try to sign in again I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE WHOLE STUPID NONSENSE AGAIN! There's no way this is for "security reasons". Why would their system see me as a security risk when, a minute earlier, I *satisfied* there security criterion and was given access... not to mention all those other times I've been logging in the exact same way from the exact same location? As if all the above isn't bad enough, just before commenting here I tried to access my account from my phone, and... (yup, you guessed it). Arggh!
  • Nancy P.Nancy P. Member
    edited March 2018
    I have been experiencing this for a long time now, where I need to enter the code sometimes as often as every day - from my home computer on my home network.  As an added issue, Quicken generally crashes if I don't enter the code fast enough, which sometimes happens because the other financial institutions are processing their transactions.  Other than this continual issue with Quicken, I am happy with my Capital One account, but if this continues much longer I'm going to have to research another card.
  • ShtevieShtevie Member
    edited June 2017
    Nancy P. said:

I have been experiencing this for a long time now, where I need to enter the code sometimes as often as every day - from my home computer on my home network.  As an added issue, Quicken generally crashes if I don't enter the code fast enough, which sometimes happens because the other financial institutions are processing their transactions.  Other than this continual issue with Quicken, I am happy with my Capital One account, but if this continues much longer I'm going to have to research another card.

If you download your Capital One transactions separately, you won't have that problem. Just do it when you have your Capital One account on your screen. Drop-down box in the upper right and choose "update".
  • Nancy P.Nancy P. Member
    edited June 2017
    Nancy P. said:

I often do that AFTER the general update, but that's a good suggestion because I had forgotten to mention that Quicken often crashes when I am unable to enter the code in time. Still a pain not to be able to update easily like before they started with these codes.
  • edited June 2017
    Nancy P. said:

I do the same.  Took Capital One out of my general update settings; then update from within the CapOne account.  Never any problems with general update. On the CapOne account, sometimes it asks for a one-time code - if I hit Cancel, it still works many times, other times it does not download anything.  In those cases, I update from within the CapOne account immediately again, and it seems to download transactions with no problem.  A bit squirelly, but it works!
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited June 2017
    Nancy P. said:

Other than periodic prompts for the OTP I have not had a problem for weeks. I did, however, remove Capital One from the scheduled updates so Quicken doesn't "hang" waiting for my response. I then run the Cap One update manually from withing Quicken and respond if prompted. As noted earlier the balance problem was resolved as well (at least for me).
    edited June 2017
    Nancy P. said:

My update has been working fine for two weeks.  I update all accounts together.
    If you are still having problems, you should send a note to the CEO and somebody from Quicken will call to walk you through fixes.
  • edited June 2017
    In regards to receiving a one time code - I've noticed I only receive the notice now while updating after I have previously deleted the history, cookies etc on my pc.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited June 2017

In regards to receiving a one time code - I've noticed I only receive the notice now while updating after I have previously deleted the history, cookies etc on my pc.

You can exclude that cookie from being deleted.
  • edited June 2017

Thank you Ted - will look into that.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited June 2017

look in browser settings "privacy"
This discussion has been closed.