Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• Jim CozzolinoJim Cozzolino Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.

Yup, Quickens BS has gotten old. I currently researching other financial programs to make a change.
  • edited September 2017
    I found this thread and I have the same issue.  I deactivated and then reset up under Account Details/Online Services. I enter UserID and Pw but errors.  I get no verification code.  I can log in and see account detail fine going direct to Capital One web page logging in with same ID and pw. 
  • MaikeerMaikeer Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    My Capital One download (Quicksilver credit card) was successful today as part of a one-step update (one of over a dozen accounts with 8 institutions). It was the last one to complete, for some reason, but I've keeping my fingers crossed. This issue has certainly been frustrating!
  • edited February 2017
    Grrrr......new message this morning - Quicken can not update because of an error on the Quicken server. Really? Come on already - I'm tired of clearing the old fashioned way - manually. Please? Pretty please?
  • edited February 2017
    Now to go and find out why my Paypal accounts won't download to their respected accounts. Unreal. It's almost as if the Quicken servers have a virus,slowing effecting it's entire system - I don't want to hear on the news that there has been a breach on my info.......
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited April 2017
    I am getting the request for a code as well. When I use the drop down for the preferred method to get the one time code and hit the OK button it doesn't send a code but does download my transactions - so far. This has been for the last two days and is for two C1 credit cards only. All of my other banking & credit card accounts is working. Before I go deactivating/reactivating/etc on my accounts I will ride out the storm for a while and see if C1 & Quicken will start playing well together.

I wish there was another program (besides Quicken) that would download simple credit card and bank transactions. I don't need all the whistles and bells that Quicken has. Quicken seems to be falling flat lately when it comes to customer service.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017
    I, for one, do not believe these are Quicken problems. I bet these issues - security prompt and incorrect balances - are the result of recent changes C1 made (to support new statement and possibly two factor authentication?). This is why we never receive a code back from C1. We see the problem in Quicken, but I blame C1. Complaints need to be directed at C1.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017
    Suggest Quicken/C1 users join the C1 "community" https://community.capitalone.com and post their complaints there as well. More likely to provoke C1 to action, if problem is visible to their customer base.
  • a.racicota.racicot Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm chiming in for the first time just to confirm to you all that I've been getting this same request to have one time code sent to my preferred method of contact for a couple of days now.  I am not getting any code.  As a workaround, I tried to download from the C1 website and it screwed up my reconciliation so I restored from a back up I took before trying that method.  Glad to have found this thread and will hope that C1 & Quicken fix this asap!  Will keep watching here.....
  • Joseph WitkinJoseph Witkin Member
    edited March 2017
    Same issue here with Quicken H&B 2017. At first it asked for a means to send a one time code, but never sent one. It only displayed my email address, though Capital One has my phone number, and I would prefer text. After removing online update and re-activating it, it eventually emailed me a code. It then downloaded about 6 duplicate transactions which I accepted and then deleted. Worked normally for a few days, but today I was asked again to enter a one time code - worked after I did.
    I gather Capital One is using Express Web Connect rather than Direct Connect for their customer downloads - they need to bite the bullet and pay for Direct Connect. My Direct Connect institutions always work, Web Connect always have problems. :(
    edited February 2017

Same issue here with Quicken H&B 2017. At first it asked for a means to send a one time code, but never sent one. It only displayed my email address, though Capital One has my phone number, and I would prefer text. After removing online update and re-activating it, it eventually emailed me a code. It then downloaded about 6 duplicate transactions which I accepted and then deleted. Worked normally for a few days, but today I was asked again to enter a one time code - worked after I did.
    I gather Capital One is using Express Web Connect rather than Direct Connect for their customer downloads - they need to bite the bullet and pay for Direct Connect. My Direct Connect institutions always work, Web Connect always have problems. :(

I switched to the MoneyWiz program and Capital One works fine, in fact, everything works better. Bye, bye Quicken.
    edited February 2017
    John said:

Suggest Quicken/C1 users join the C1 "community" https://community.capitalone.com and post their complaints there as well. More likely to provoke C1 to action, if problem is visible to their customer base.

I switched to the MoneyWiz program and Capital One works fine, in fact, everything works better. Bye, bye Quicken.
    edited February 2017
    John said:

I, for one, do not believe these are Quicken problems. I bet these issues - security prompt and incorrect balances - are the result of recent changes C1 made (to support new statement and possibly two factor authentication?). This is why we never receive a code back from C1. We see the problem in Quicken, but I blame C1. Complaints need to be directed at C1.

edited February 2017

I am getting the request for a code as well. When I use the drop down for the preferred method to get the one time code and hit the OK button it doesn't send a code but does download my transactions - so far. This has been for the last two days and is for two C1 credit cards only. All of my other banking & credit card accounts is working. Before I go deactivating/reactivating/etc on my accounts I will ride out the storm for a while and see if C1 & Quicken will start playing well together.

I wish there was another program (besides Quicken) that would download simple credit card and bank transactions. I don't need all the whistles and bells that Quicken has. Quicken seems to be falling flat lately when it comes to customer service.

• joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited February 2017
    John said:

@John.  The pending vs posted transactions and the associated balance issue is clearly a Cap One issue.  In that case, Quicken is simply asking for an update, but Cap One is providing the data. However, the 2FA issue seems more likely to be an issue on both sides as Quicken must have implemented changes to request how you want to receive your code as well as being able to process the code received. The fact that some folks are requesting a code, but not receiving anything seems to point to an issue between Quicken and Cap One.

The thing I find odd about the situation is the varied experiences posted here, but that could be related to the varied Quicken versions represented. For some here, the deactivate/reactivate seems to fix nothing, but in my case it completely resolved the issue (at least so far).  After d/r, I received the code and my transactions downloaded normally after inputting the code.  I have been asked a couple of times since, to receive another code, but it worked as expected both times.  As of now, I haven't received a request for a code for several days, but the downloads have worked every time. 

It is frustrating that Quicken won't just respond here and provide some information.

• BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017

Thank you @Jim Cozzolino and it's about time someone mentioned it and here is my take on it.  I too wanted to try something else and did try MoneyWiz a month ago just before this fiasco.  Unfortunately it fell short for my particular needs as it does not support investment accounts, retirements, 401k's, annuities, life insurance, 529s etc.  I researched it and some of those items are on their roadmap but I don't want to be part of their growing pains.  In fact they did release a so called "investments" but it was problematic for mine.  Since those are significant portion of my portfolio, it is not the right product for me at this time.  Maybe in the future.  FYI I am a career techie and I use Quicken 2016 premier on Win10 Pro and no mobile/cloud.  If you are not concerned about investment accounts, then MoneyWiz is a good product.  Since it was not going to work for my particular needs, I didn't spend too much time to get into details of how each functionality compared to Quicken as in "it is much better or slightly better" etc. and opted for a refund while I could.  But again, the bank accounts and CCs seemed to work well as the gentleman above mentioned.  We do need a Quicken replacement as I do not foresee them evolving and reinventing for the better in the future - to put it nicely!
    edited April 2017
    One would think that a one time code would only be needed one time. Call me crazy, my wife does (and a few other things)... 

It seems some people have to enter the code frequently. Others, like me, just have to tell quicken/Cap 1 how we want to receive the one time code. We never get it but the download works as before. With my luck someone from Quicken or Cap 1 will see this and "fix" what I am able to do, but nothing else.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017

One would think that a one time code would only be needed one time. Call me crazy, my wife does (and a few other things)... 

It seems some people have to enter the code frequently. Others, like me, just have to tell quicken/Cap 1 how we want to receive the one time code. We never get it but the download works as before. With my luck someone from Quicken or Cap 1 will see this and "fix" what I am able to do, but nothing else.

I see your first point if they would give you a check box to say like "remember my computer" for example.  To me it seems to be an Always "Two-Factor Authentication".  Seems like you are in the lucky minority.  Do you have CC or bank account with CapOne?  For me, 8 out of 10 times I am faced with the code and the other two times, downloads without asking which is very strange.  But I too consider myself lucky since I am able to download CC transactions either way - so it is always working for me given the extra pain in the neck steps.  Some folks never receive the one time code or don't get the transaction download - just by reading the posts.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017
    John said:

I received the code a few times..then it said I should not get asked any more but it did anyway. It's erratic. I click cancel and use online center
    edited February 2017

I have CC only with Cap1. My bank account is a credit union account. every 6 to 9 months I have to get Quicken to do scripting voodoo to get my credit union accounts back up and running. They are fairly responsive to taking care of that issue.

I did what was suggested on one of my two Cap1 CC accounts both within Quicken and within Cap1. It still asks for the "one time code" for both when I update. I still don't get a code but still get the transaction downloads.  So all the hoops I jumped through for that particular account did nothing but waste time IMHO.

I hope all of the other financial institutions don't do the same update. I understand upping the security but when it quits becoming user friendly...
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017

Moneywiz
  • John RogersJohn Rogers Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I solved the problem by un-installing Quicken and switched to a different software program. No more problems with Quicken or Capital one.
  • John RogersJohn Rogers Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I solved the problem by un-installing Quicken and switched to a different software program. No more problems with Quicken or Capital one.
  • Jay MangerJay Manger Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I'm having the same issue with Capitalone.  Did the code manually by logging into my Capitalone account.  So it is downloading.  Quicken is still asking for the device  for the one-time code but I never receive it.
  • Susan ReinisSusan Reinis Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

Okay team - I think I fixed it.
    Before you do this  - make sure that your account is reconciled and all the transactions that are supposed ot have R's have them. Look at an earlier post on how to delete a deluge of duplicated downloaded transactions - cause that is the downside of my fix.
    Step one - go to the setup gear on the account and edit account settings on the correct tab.
    Step 2 - deactivate the account
    Step 3 - close quicken
    Step 4 go back to the account and go the gear
    Step 5  - edit account settings.
    Step 6 - do NOT reactivate the account - go to online services tab and SET UP the account
    Step 7 - this works with the code deal - etc but downloads a ton of transactions
    Step 8 - see my note above and deal with the duplicates.
    Don't forget that once the duplicates are in your register - you can hold the control key and select the duplicates and delete them by right click delete - all at the same time.
    If you dont get the part  about using the C and R reconcile sort to deal with duplicates - dont do this until you do - unless you have very few transactions to deal with or a lot of patience.
    As far as whether this will work tomorrow - I am not at the Edge of it yet.
    Hope this helps!
  • edited February 2017
    stan said:

Still happening but when going to the Cap One account and using update from the drop down box in the upper right corner it does work even when it asks for a code.

This is what works for me as of now for CapOne credit card  Trying to update from One Step Update results in no code being sent and/or rejection of CapOne password that I used 60 seconds before to log directly into CapOne account.
  • edited February 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

thank you - I will wait to see if it works for you tomorrow though....:)
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

When I download transactions they appear in a list below the register where I can accept them or edit etc.If they are duplicates they all say "match" so I just click "accept all" and they disappear. Setting this up in preferences eliminates the deleting headache.
  • BrianBrian Member
    edited February 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

This method works for me, too.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

It worked once...we'll see if it lasts. I did not get the pop up.
This discussion has been closed.