Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• Betsy HansenBetsy Hansen Member
    edited April 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

I deactivated and reactivated and that worked. But now I have a ton of duplicate transactions I have to delete. Should have left well enough alone. Suggestions?? Grrrrrrrrr.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

If they "match" they will disappear when you "accept all". You may need to clear or reconcile the originals.
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Lisa, have you updated to the latest version of the quicken software? And activated and deactivated the accounts? That is what seemed to work for me. Bt I did have to wrestle with the second account to get it to work as well, you can see that in my posts above.

Well finally so far so good - All of my C1 accounts downloaded with no errors etc - the trick - click on edit account details - click on on line services tab - deactivate the online services then reactivate - then it will ask where to send the code - highlight and enter - get the code from your email - enter it - and poof! downloading processes. Whew!
  • Betsy HansenBetsy Hansen Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Lisa, have you updated to the latest version of the quicken software? And activated and deactivated the accounts? That is what seemed to work for me. Bt I did have to wrestle with the second account to get it to work as well, you can see that in my posts above.

Well, I thought all was good. First of all it took me HOURS to go through all the duplicate transactions that had been entered back to November!! First download after that debacle worked without code, now it asked for code. Just put it in and it sends to email or text, enter it and fine.  Which is what I was doing before only it never sent me the text but it still downloaded. I won't ever deactivate and reactivate an account again!! Maybe I did something wrong...
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Capital One download still randomly asks for the one-time code, but after deactivating and successfully reactivating my account once several weeks ago, I just cancel the one-time code request and download processing continues.  Now the false notification for a one-time code is just an annoyance.  Fortunately it doesn't happen every time.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Same for me.
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

I would suggest since it was a couple weeks ago, like me since we all did the deactivate reactivate process - try it again today - for it worked for me. They must have fixed something.
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Did all of the steps listed here and still get the pop up infrequently. I had no messages at CapOne regarding validating my Quicken account, and the rep I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about. Transactions are downloaded, but the One Step Update Summary indicates zero transactions downloaded every single time.

This is getting annoying....don't get me started on Quicken and PayPal :) 
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Have you made new transactions yet? Have they downloaded?
  • rev.geoffrev.geoff Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Here's my favorite: I finally make some kind of connection to CapOne. Quicken even asks me to choose the account, which is listed with the up-to-date balance (so obviously some kind of connection is being made). When I follow through on the screen instructions, I get all those green bar downloading screens, which end with "Success!" Everything is supposed to be fixed! But in the actual register, nothing has changed. This has been going on for weeks.

My Mint account had the same problem, but it cleared up right after I entered the code. Why can't Quicken fix this? They're the biggest kid on the block. It baffles me to think that I have to delete this, deactivate that, reboot this over here, and then MAYBE it will work. If Quicken has as many users facing this problem as it does, why can't they put out a solution?
  • paulaitkenpaulaitken Member
    edited March 2017
    I just work around it by logging into Capital One Credit Card and selecting transaction tab. I select download transactions. I select custom dates and use the last date from my previous download and the current date and it works fine until this issue is resolved.
  • BrianBrian Member
    edited March 2017
    HEY! Edgardo's "fix" didn't work for me.
    Nor did Capital One's own page at https://www.capitalone.com/search/?qt=quicken&cg2=Corporate+Info&search-btn=&refer=https... (I had no alerts there that they're talking about.)

BUT THIS finally worked!:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/cant-update-capital-one-credit-card

Repasting here: - hope it works for you! :)

Ray Hallman

• I've had the same issue with not being able to deactivate the capital one card services account. After 2 chats and nearly 3 hours, Quicken help walked me through something that, to my surprise, worked.

Refresh Branding -

Go to Tools menu > Online Center > Once you are there we need to bring up the FI Action Required window by Clicking Contact Info WHILE holding F3+CTRL (Contact Info is in the upper portion of the form that comes up, under the Quicken online center logo)

You will be presented with a list of all your financial institutions. Highlight Capital One Card Services (or whatever you're having issue with) and then click refresh TWICE, then click ok.

I'm not sure this next step made any difference but I was then instructed to do a Super Validate -

File menu > File Operations > HOLD the CTRL+SHIFT key and click on Validate and Repair > on the Validate and Repair window please put a check on the Super Validate file then click on OK

No errors were found, in my case.

Then we went back to accounts and chose to deactivate AND IT WORKED!!!

Next I went to tools>Add New account and then went through the process. After Quicken found the account and presented me with a menu to add the new account, I chose to link to existing and transactions came in.

Caveat here is that when transactions came in there were DUPLICATES of all transactions since the last update. Once I deleted the duplicates, I did an update of Capital One Card Services (with the account register open, choose the gear in the upper right

• Scott SheltonScott Shelton Member
    edited March 2017
    RobM said:

I have reset passwords and updated my cap one cards.  I can see new transactions online but none cross over to Quicken.  It says this when I click on the "2 accounts updated" popup, it shows the online balance as 9/25/2031.  That can't be right.imageimage
  • edited March 2017

What amazes me is that this is going on for WEEKS and everyone is trying all of these fixes and NOBODY from QUICKEN gets on here to comment!!

Sorry, John. Quicken tech support has a lot to improve these days. You cannot say this is a Capitol One problem when their site works fine. Quicken is the one selling this expensive software with all these claims of ease and it's their software that is not working.
  • gehrke8003gehrke8003 Member
    edited March 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

I have tried all the above now what happens is the download starts but when it gets to the 6 digit code the process stops just before the 6 digit code screen and goes dark then the register appears 
    I thought it was a password issue but Cap One says they do not recognize capital letters or small all the same. the only way i can download from quicken is deactivate etc. and i can not download from cap one site to quicken
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Well, a follow sad up. The "fix" didn't "stick". Quicken is occasionally asking me for the one time code again. So, still broken.
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Seeing Edgardo comment above makes me curious if Quicken has done something to try and fix the problem. I had it all working properly yesterday but I just did an update and for one of the accounts it asked me for the code again, and it did send it to my email and the download worked. Strangely, it didn't ask anything about my second C1 account, and that downloaded normally anyway.

Well, a follow sad up. The "fix" didn't "stick". Quicken is occasionally asking me for the one time code again. So, still broken.
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Yes - agreed - BUT I override it buy going to the update within the account I have set up in Quicken - still gives me the one time code notice - which I cancel and it updates transactions as usual.
  • Joseph WitkinJoseph Witkin Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is nuts. I have been dealing with this error for weeks, and have tried all of the above fixes. I can fairly reliably get the download to work by deactivating and reactivating online download - it usually emails me a 6 digit code that works - but not always. It does not offer the option of a text to my phone, although my mobile number is on my C1 profile. It then downloads the same 8 or 10 transactions that have already been downloaded, which I delete. Then it works for a day or two, but it does not stick.
    My understanding is that Capital One is using "Express Web Connect", rather than "Direct Connect". The difference is that C1 would have to pay Quicken (is it still Intuit?) for Direct Connect, and then Quicken would be responsible for making it work. Major banks bite the bullet and pay for Direct Connect (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc) - and it always works.
    "Express Web Connect" is not supported by Quicken - the financial institution is responsible for making it work. Not so good - my credit union, and C1, use this option, and it is always buggy.
    One way or the other, Capital One needs to fix this!
  • stanstan Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've been able to update by doing C1 by itself from the upper right dropdown menu (click update) but on Saturday and Sunday, I'm getting a message that I can't update because of a Quicken Server error. Has anyone seen this one?

(The system has been asking me for a code (even when I do just C!) but it will not send a code but still download transactions. A bit of a nuisance but workable. I haven't deactivated and reactivated. Haven't really done anything so may have to do that.)
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

This is nuts. I have been dealing with this error for weeks, and have tried all of the above fixes. I can fairly reliably get the download to work by deactivating and reactivating online download - it usually emails me a 6 digit code that works - but not always. It does not offer the option of a text to my phone, although my mobile number is on my C1 profile. It then downloads the same 8 or 10 transactions that have already been downloaded, which I delete. Then it works for a day or two, but it does not stick.
    My understanding is that Capital One is using "Express Web Connect", rather than "Direct Connect". The difference is that C1 would have to pay Quicken (is it still Intuit?) for Direct Connect, and then Quicken would be responsible for making it work. Major banks bite the bullet and pay for Direct Connect (Bank of America, Wells Fargo, etc) - and it always works.
    "Express Web Connect" is not supported by Quicken - the financial institution is responsible for making it work. Not so good - my credit union, and C1, use this option, and it is always buggy.

Almost right. Express Web Connect is Quicken essentially using your credentials to hack log into Capital One on your behalf. Some financial institutions are easier to connect to than others, and changes made by FIs often result in connection failure. Cap One broke it, and it's apparently not so easy for Quicken to fix.

As you note, there are other FIs which support Direct Connect. Drop Capital One and use the others. I have perfect connections with Bank of America, Citi Cards, Chase Cards, American Express, Fidelity, and Morgan Stanley.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • edited March 2017

Intuit sold Quicken  - I have it posted in an earlier comment
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited April 2017
    The saga continues... Like Stan I am getting the Quicken Server Error notification. My last support requests has Capital One blaming Quicken and Quicken blaming Capital One. Then also send the "fixes" over and over. They obviously don't read the Email in its entirety because I tell them the "fixes" have been tried.

Blame game at its finest.
  • edited March 2017

I'm not sure people pick a credit card for its Quicken capability. Quicken doesn't have the power it used to have. There are too many alternatives. I'm not interested in moving away from my Capital One Venture double miles card. I think the days of Quicken being able to demand big payments for direct connect are coming to an end. Betterment basically gives Quicken the middle finger and says we'll bet our customer relationship on saying we aren't paying you.

Say what you will about who needs to change what, Quicken's customer communication has been ridiculous over this last 6 weeks on this issue.

I took a day off work last week and built a completely new file in Moneydance. Getting competent forum responses in 24 hours is refreshing. After using Quicken for a decade, leaving for 7 years and now being back for 6 months, I'm done. Quicken doesn't deserve a dime of my money again.
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited March 2017

I really am leaning toward it isn't a Quicken issue. While each is pointing the finger at the other It seems a Capital One problem. They definitely won't look at it as a problem. There stand, in my correspondence with them, has been I can still download the transactions from their website. That kind of defeats the "one step update" feature. I did get a direct number to a human that deals with Cap 1's Quicken issue and will try it. If it works I will post it. But my issue(s) has been inconsistent.. Needs a one time code and won't send one but updates anyway, wants a one time code sends it and won't accept it, wants a one time code sends it and loads the transactions in multiples, and the latest is a quicken server issue. 

Does Moneydance do automatic downloads? Most of my institutions do not support Direct Connect. But if I have to do things manually anyway, I am with you about no longer donating to Quicken every three years.
  • edited March 2017

Yes Moneydance supports automatic downloads but I'm not using it. From using Personal Capital for awhile it seems like banks have no interest in maintaining 3rd party web connect services due to security issues. I'm constantly having to re-verify login information. So I decided that I'd just spend my time downloading files from the bank websites. That way I'm in control and there's no security issues. Since I've decided to make that change, that's when I decided that there's no way I'm going to continue to support Quicken.
  • brandongblackbrandongblack Member
    edited February 2018
    Both my Fiance and I have capital one card and both had issues. I found one way to fix it...you first have to go into your capital one account in quicken and "deactive" downloads. Once this is done then you go and re-add your account as if you're adding it from scratch. the screen will come up and ask if you want to link it to your existing account. Proceed with that. You will have some duplicate transactions come through, but once you clean that up then it appears to fix the issue. (I think it has something to do with the account name being changed)
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017

What amazes me is that this is going on for WEEKS and everyone is trying all of these fixes and NOBODY from QUICKEN gets on here to comment!!

C1's site working fine is completely unrelated to this problem. The problem is in the interface between C1 and Quicken. Unless Quicken is autonomously issuing the request for the OTP method, which I doubt since it contains information from my C1 account, then the OTP prompt is a passthru from C1. The behavior on my account would indicate it is a spurious request from C1 since I never receive/input an OTC yet the update proceeds to a successful conclusion. I "solved" the OTP problem by turning off scheduled updates. As long as I run the "One Step Update" manually from Quicken and I am present to respond to the OTP prompt, I have no problems other than the fact that C1 is sending pending transactions while the balance sent does not match so I have to "adjust" the cleared items. I continue to believe people should direct a significant part of their anger at C1, as they are the master and Quicken is a slave.

I worked in banking IT for over 30 years and the relationship between Quicken and banks was always a bit challenging as banks saw themselves being disintermediated from their customers. The banks want their customers to come to the bank web site so they can sell bank products. Quicken. MINT, MS Money, Yodlee and others removed the customer's need to visit the bank's web site. The banks only supported Quicken because a significant population of their customers demanded it. Plus, once Quicken signed up the first bank it then became a competitive issue. But, at least in my experience, the relationship was always difficult. Most banks have no interest in improving the customer's with Quicken. They would prefer that customers abandon third party solutions and "return home". This is why some banks offer account aggregation as a part of their online banking product.
  • BrianBrian Member
    edited March 2017

Excellent insights, John.  Makes sense to me.
  • John HonoskiJohn Honoski Member
    edited March 2017

I am using Quicken Deluxe 2014 for Windows and have had the same issues being reported.  I finally received the one-time code about 2 weeks ago and ever since I entered it I could no longer download transactions using the one-step update.  Prior to getting the code I would just close the pop-up box that was requesting that I send it to my e-mail address or phone # and my transactions downloaded just fine so I was, like everyone here, ticked of by entering the code I broke the transaction downloading capability for my Cap1 Visa.

I tried all the suggestions here and nothing worked.  When I deactivated/reactivate my Cap1 account Quicken would connect to Cap1 and find my account but when the pop-up box came up and asked if I wanted to add the account I could not do anything as Quicken kept responding with an error that I must select a valid account type.  I couldn't because in that drop down the only choices were checking or savings which is incorrect since this is a credit card account.

After wasting over an hour yesterday with Quicken and Cap1 and getting nowhere I tried again today.  I found this article that helped me to reactivate my account:

https://www.quicken.com/support/message-when-adding-or-activating-account-unknown-type

My issue was I had a blank category in my data file.  I followed this procedure that is listed in the link above:

NOTE: It is possible that there's a TEMP_ name OR blank Category appearing on the Category List that is preventing the setup from completing successfully. This TEMP_ name would not display under normal circumstances, as it's a placeholder entry that gets removed when the account is successfully Added or Activated in Quicken. To resolve this TEMP_ issue that may be causing a continuing error (ex: 324 or CC-506):

1. Open the Category List (Tools > Category List or Ctrl + Shift + C)
    2. Select Show Hidden Categories (at the bottom of the list)
    3. Select the first Category on the All Categories list and arrow down one Category at a time to find any blank entry or [TEMP_] Category entry.
    4. Delete that entry. If you experience a problem deleting that entry, try using Ctrl + click the Delete button onscreen
    5. After the Category has been removed, close then reopen Quicken and retry your account setup.

If you continue to experience problems with the TEMP_  or blank Category, you should Validate your file (File > File Operations > Validate & Repair > Validate File) to make sure there aren't lingering account problems.

Once I deleted the blank category and quit/restarted Quicken I tried to reactivate my Cap1 account and this time I was able to link back to my existing Cap1 account in Quicken.  I then updated just my Cap1 account, received the request for the one-time code again, enter the code and I was back up and running again.  Quicken downloaded only 8 duplicate transactions since I manually downloaded transactions prior to trying to fix the problem today.  I just manually deleted them, ran the one-step update and everything is OK for now.

I had just ordered Deluxe 2017 and wanted to resolve this issues prior to updating.  Hopefully this info will help others with the same problems I had.

This discussion has been closed.