How do I merge two accounts into one?

I have used Quicken for years. I have always typed in my expenses and deposits manually. I recently purchased Quicken 2017 for my windows computer. I am in the U.S. I am now downloading the deposits and expenses from my bank to a newly named account. How do I merge the two accounts into one? Thank you.

Comments

• QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    Here are the instructions on how to move transactions from one account to another:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • edited October 2018
    The question was "Merging" not "moving". How do we "merge" accounts? Everytime a company gets hacked Credit card companies reissue cards with new numbers. This causes Quicken to cause new accounts to be set up and no way for us to make quicken realize this is all one "account".  Constantly "moving" transactions inevitably is rediculous. Or spltting transactions etc to try and Balance multiple accounts is endlessly frustrating. We have dealing with this forever and ongoing in dealing with Quickin Customer Service trying to get answers to this. Is there or is there not an way to Merge Accounts?
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited July 2017

The question was "Merging" not "moving". How do we "merge" accounts? Everytime a company gets hacked Credit card companies reissue cards with new numbers. This causes Quicken to cause new accounts to be set up and no way for us to make quicken realize this is all one "account".  Constantly "moving" transactions inevitably is rediculous. Or spltting transactions etc to try and Balance multiple accounts is endlessly frustrating. We have dealing with this forever and ongoing in dealing with Quickin Customer Service trying to get answers to this. Is there or is there not an way to Merge Accounts?

There is no "magic bullet/automated way" for merging transactions because depending on what was done in each account might require moving different transactions and adjusting the opening balance.  It is up to the user to determine what needs to be moved from one account to the other to "merge" them.

Quicken would have no way to know what transactions are the duplicate.
    Just because you have two transactions in the two registers on the same day for the same amount doesn't mean that they are in fact duplicates.

As for your use case of credit card numbers changing.  Even in this one use case there are several different possible actions depending on what the financial institution did, and what preferences the user wants.  And even depending on if the account is setup for Direct Connect or Express Web Connect.

One possible solution would be not to allow Quicken to create a new account in the first place.  If all the financial institution did is change the account number, and in fact all the Downloaded Transactions Ids haven't changed at all, then all is needed is to deactivate the account, remove the account number, and reactivate it making sure that you link to that account instead of creating a new account.  And for this to work right the account probably can't be setup for Express Web Connect because Intuit's method of generating the Downloaded Transaction Ids gets "reset" when you deactivate or reset the account, in some, but not all cases.  Which means that you still can do it, but the problem changes from "merge" to "remove duplicate" transactions.

In this FAQ it talks about how to deal with duplicate transactions:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-i-have-a-manual-account-i-want-to-activate-for-downloading-how-do-i-prevent-duplicate-transactions

If you are using the automatic transaction entry mode instead of the Downloaded Transactions tab you can do a similar thing by just making sure all your transactions are set to reviewed, and then do the change over, and then sort by the Status column to group the "new/duplicate" transactions together.

Another possibility is that the user actually wants two accounts.  Some people feel that because the account numbers change that it should be in a different account in Quicken.  And some financial institutions might even "support" that depending on why the account number was changed.  As in they actually close the old account, and create a new account.  So the new account only gets the new transactions.  This is actually pretty rare.  Usually only for something like when CostCo changed from American Express To Citi Cards.

So in the case of creating a new account, one might actually decide on deleting duplicates from the new account, and adjusting the balance.  Or of course they could move the non duplicated transactions from one account to another, and adjust the balance.
  • RussTRussT Member
    edited April 2018

This just happened to me in the last couple months. My credit card company said I'd been hacked, so they changed my and my wife's account numbers. When I went to update my transactions in Quicken, they couldn't download from my new account numbers. It was unclear what I should do, but I concluded from their advice that I should close my old account in Quicken and open a new account with the new numbers. I was under the impression that all of my transactions from the previous account numbers would not be lost, but when I changed to the new account numbers and updated, all of my previous data was no longer there. After the initial feeling of dread, I checked to see if I had a recent backup. I did, and what I ended up doing was to  export my backed up file with the old account number to a .QXF file(File >File Export>), then open my file with the new account number and import the .QXF file into it. All of the accounts which were not changed in either of the files were given the same name with a '2' added to the name. I then deleted those duplicate files and was left with one set of those account transactions and each of the transactions from the old credit card account number and the new one. There was a few weeks overlap between the two, and so I just deleted those that were duplicated.
  • RhinecliffRhinecliff Member
    edited October 2017

@RussT ..  You mismanaged the issue.  Next time you have a compromised card and end up with a new account #, keep the following in mind....

Many /most FI's these days do just
    change the account # and charge card # when an account is compromised.
    In a case like this many Quicken user's (not all) prefer to just keep
    their
    Quicken credit card register and fix it so they can move forward with
    the same account in Quicken... so they can continue to do One
    Step Updates  (OSU) with the same account.

As mentioned, the financial institution does not close the account that was compromised/
    had the fraudulent transactions, but merely changes the account
    number/credit card number and no more. Again, the financial institution does NOT close the violated
    account!

After the financial institution changes the account #, just  do the following:

Do a Quicken manual backup.

Go to the account in
    question in Quicken, and deactivate it using Edit Account details
    in Account Actions .

After this edit Account Details to reflect
    the new account number. In "Comments" there, document succinctly,
    the reason for the acct. # change and the old account number for
    future reference.

Following this, from within Edit Account Details, activate the account.
    -One Step Update will now pull transactions and the account in question / with that new account
    number.  This account with the fraudulent charges, may show the
    fraudulent charges and the financial institution taking care of them /
    issuing you a credit.

Important note:

If the affected account was setup with Direct Connect connectivity in Quicken, you will see not see
    duplicate transactions.

Unfortunately, with Express Web Connect connectivity accounts, you will frequently get /see
    duplicate transactions that will need to be addressed in the account register.

Do carefully look over the account after you do the above procedure!
  • RussTRussT Member
    edited April 2018

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Wish Quicken Help would have had the same instructions.
  • RussT should work for Quicken. A clearer more concise and USER FRIENDLY explanation I have never seen on a Software vendor site. Well done, Sir!!!!!  And thanks so very much.
      My bank has installed a completely new system and even with bank support, we couldn't get Quicken to recognize that system with the existing accounts, we couldn't deactivate and reactivate either. We finally had to delete the accounts and start over. However, that only allowed data to be downloaded back 3 weeks. 
      It was indeed a little frustrating and time consuming copying 25 years of transactions in 2 checking and 1 savings accounts. I tried moving, but Quicken kept declining to move transfers(???) so I finally copied everything several years at a time. 
    RussT's workaround for Quicken's LACK of ability to merge the old and new accounts solved my problem fully. Even down to explaining removing the "2" designated accounts that came over for other financial institutions that I didn't need to merge.
    Thank you very much!
This discussion has been closed.