Exclude an account's balance on side bar while still having it remain in sidebar (33 Legacy Votes)

[EDIT Original title: 
How do you exclude an account from Net Worth, but still show account details on Home page in Quicken 2017 for Mac? 

I want to exclude a joint account from my net worth calculation on the Quicken home page [sidebar] but still show the value of the account on my home page [sidebar].  This is for Quicken for Mac 2017 version.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS:
The actual VOTE count for this IDEA is really 15 higher!
This is due to failed merges of IDEA threads here on GetSat.
These VOTE counts are from unique votes from the following 2 IDEA threads:
2 votes

Planned · Last Updated

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This is not really possible in QM2017.

I am going to assume you are talking about the Sidebar, because the actual Home page (the one you get to by clicking the Home tab in the blue bar) does not show account values. The Home page only shows spending information (as well as bill reminders and budget info).

You can hide an account in the sidebar (menu Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts), and you can have the hidden account still show up in reports. But if you hide the account in the sidebar, you will not see its value there. And you will not have access to its register. And its value will be excluded from the Net Worth displayed at the bottom of the sidebar, which seems to be what you're asking for.

One possible workaround is to create a couple of customized Net Worth reports, one including the account and one excluding the account. To do this, select the Net Worth Over Time report from the Reports tab. Click the Customize button and select the accounts you want. If you are interested in only the current value, set the date field to Month to Date. Then check the Save as Custom Report box at the bottom and give the report a name.
  • Jeff DixonJeff Dixon Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes, you are correct I was referring tot he sidebar.  Very unfortunate that you cannot exempt what you want from the net worth at the bottom.  You used to be able to do this in Quicken for Windows but I migrated to a Mac and have found that Quicken is not as good on a Mac as it is on Windows.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Yes, you are correct I was referring tot he sidebar.  Very unfortunate that you cannot exempt what you want from the net worth at the bottom.  You used to be able to do this in Quicken for Windows but I migrated to a Mac and have found that Quicken is not as good on a Mac as it is on Windows.

You can add your VOTE to Exclude an account's balance on side bar while still having it remain in sidebar.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Jim LeslieJim Leslie Member
    edited December 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Tag investments as "Not Included in Totals" as with Windows version.

I would love to see you allow investments (brokerage) accounts to be tagged as not included in totals for net worth in the left side panel. This is possible with the windows version and makes handling GST, 529, and children's accounts much simpler. Otherwise, I'm constantly making accounts visible and not visible in the sidebar.
  • edited December 2017

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Tag investments as "Not Included in Totals" as with Windows version.

I would love to see you allow investments (brokerage) accounts to be tagged as not included in totals for net worth in the left side panel. This is possible with the windows version and makes handling GST, 529, and children's accounts much simpler. Otherwise, I'm constantly making accounts visible and not visible in the sidebar.

Go to Reports > Net Worth > Customize...then select the accounts you want included and the time frame you want to see (I usually have This Year or Past 12 Months selected.

BOOM...you have your net worth WITHOUT your investment accounts, if you like.

Note...you can also save this report.

I have three Net Worth reports saved...Complete Net Worth, Net Worth without investments and Net Worth with ONLY my investment accounts (great for seeing how my portfolio has changed over time).  
  • PatPat Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Exclude account in side bar balance.

In the Intuit version of Quicken for Windows, 2014, one could mark an account so its balance was not included in the sidebar balance totals, but the account was still visible and online transactions were downloaded. I used this feature to monitor accounts that I didn't want to include in the sidebar balances. The hide feature in my Quicken for Mac excluded the account from the sidebar balance, but is not visible and does not download online transactions, not what I'm after.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    NOTE TO DEVELOPERS:
    The actual VOTE count for this IDEA is really 15 higher!
    This is due to failed merges of IDEA threads here on GetSat.
    These VOTE counts are from unique votes from the following 2 IDEA threads:

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Please update Quicken Deluxe 2019 for Mac so account totals can be separated in the sidebar, like I was able to do in QD 2017.